Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MotionBuilder to Unity. What export for animations only

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Pirs01, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Pirs01

Pirs01

Hello,

I have a scene in MotionBuilder and in it a character with control rig and a take applied to it. I would like to export only the animation data to use with Mecanim. When I save as .fbx what should I check as minimum so that the file has only animation data and what's necessary to import it into Unity?

pic

I did try several combinations but with no success.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. Pirs01

Pirs01

After more testing I found that the absolute minimum to get you animations into Unity is to check following:
    - Bones: Element
    - Bones: Animation
    - Models: Element

It seams it is by design that Unity will take animation from asset of type model so if you don;t include your model Unity says "No animation data available in this model"
    Is that correct?

That's not what I wanted which is to import a standalone clip asset but that seams impossible?

3. Yamoc4

Yamoc4

I usually just import the whole model with the animation on it from mobu. I then set up the rig in mecanim real quick. Then if you open the hierarchy in unity you can duplicate just the animation and drag it out. Then delete the model and character.

4. Pirs01

Pirs01

Great tip. Thanks!

5. kanga

kanga

Export the animation from the davinci icon area. There are 2 main options one of which will give you just the animation and a ref without all the other stuff.

6. ksam2

ksam2

Sorry for up, But I have similar problem. and seems Yamoc tip doesn't work for me in unity 4.3
    Anybody have any tip for this?

7. VargaPD

VargaPD

MotionBuilder 2015 - File > Motion File Export

8. VargaPD

VargaPD

I have only one problem with this. When I use an animation after another, the second animation starts where the first one started. Root motions, is it called? How to apply them?
    If I export only the Motion File, the second animation starts where the previous finished (this is what I want), but there is no Blendshape Animations (used for face expressions).

Any idea? I am very beginner :D