Search Unity

Motion to Sculpture Visual Art Project

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by kwabbott, Jul 14, 2008.

1. kwabbott

kwabbott

Thought I'd post a link to a unique Visual Art project I collaborated on that involved Unity.

The project involved working with art students to translate their motions into 3D forms using mocap data, Cinema 4D and Unity. Eventually the students created physical sculpture based on the virtual forms.

http://www.wmich.edu/digitalmedia/projects/motion2sculpture/index.html

Links to a few of the Unity files can be found midway down the page. In all we made 3D files for 30+ students. I can provide links to more of the models if people want to see them.

Kevin

2. chiefbobo

chiefbobo

Excellent project!! Great use of technology to both create the art, and free up the students minds. The final works came out great too. Way to think out side the bun.

3. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Awesome stuff and an interesting video piece to watch, too!

University should be a place of great thinking and innovation (not just memorizing quotes!) and it's this kind of experimentation that encourages students to do just that. I'm all for finding interesting ways to use technology and it's great to see the resulting clay and wire models at the end of it all.

It would be great to see Unity rendering the meshes in real-time throughout a performance and I can't wait to see where this goes next :)

Jeff.

4. kwabbott

kwabbott

I am very fortunate to work in an environment that allows for creative and risk-taking. It's pretty rare.

We have two projects upcoming in January and March '09 - a ballet and a play (Bertolt Brecht's Mother Courage)- that will both be done using Unity.

The ballet will feature real-time water effects projected on the floor as if the dancers are dancing on water. I think we're going to use a wacom tablet to place ripples and trace wakes.

Early ideas for Mother Courage are leaning towards an animated "war machine" that will be part scenery, part character, and will probably incorporate some motion capture.

Kevin

5. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

Congratulations!

very nice work and use of technology to create art :D im a very art lover myself and this is really a good and new branch for me to see.

keep it up

Nice video too.

.org

6. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Found this to be an interesting expression of freeform art.

Thinking with a little bit of programming, you could do this in real-time within Unity; artists could choose whether to see what they are making, and / or have the tangle result immediately after their session.

Thanks for sharing!