Search Unity

Motion Platform Integration - Vehicle Game Developer Poll

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ismaelflorit, May 18, 2019.

?

Would you use a motion platform plugin to bypass the need for 3rd party software?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Well... (Feel free to leave a comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ismaelflorit

ismaelflorit

Hello!

I'm working on a plugin to give games motion platform support.

The Problem

Currently, all games that involve motion platform control rely on 3rd party software such as SimTools or X-Sim to create a plugin which reads the relevant data, and then maps it to their support motion platform controller's firmware (e.g SMC3).

The Solution

Life made simple for the player with direct input:

Are you a Dev?

If you are a game developer with any vehicle based titles and would be willing to have an interview with me on Skype/Whatsapp, please get in touch - I would really appreciate your help!

I'm hoping to establish a user empathy map with hopes to gaining insight into what features would/wouldn't work.

If you don't have time but are willing to give feedback, please feel free to participate in the poll or leave me a comment; any kind of feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for reading :)

2. Lockheart34

Lockheart34

Hi,

I'm a C# developer and my company recently brought a motion platform.

We're looking for any Unity direct input plugin (or "Semi-direct" with SimTools installed for configuration) to control yaw, pitch, roll and heave on multiple simulations.

Do you have any relevant work about a solution or any documentation ?
    If we can have more documentation about SimTools <-> Platform communication by COM Port i can try to create a direct plugin.

3. ismaelflorit

ismaelflorit

Hello!

I have written a plugin which produces pitch and roll but it has only been tested on a 2DOF platform built by DOF Reality, so it's likely that it would not be useful to your platform if it has more than 2 motors.

As far as I'm aware the SimTools software maps things manually, without any robotic inverse kinematic equations.

This means that all you need to do is figure out how to produce each DOF independently, and then map the values read from a Rigidbody.

As for the platform communication, it depends what motor driving firmware is installed on your platform, but you can certainly go with SMC3 which SimTools uses. It has a pretty straight forward command set and you can read it at the start of the .ino file here.

If you would like to check out my plugin you can find it on my github - it's currently not in the asset store because I haven't added undo functionality to my editor scripts, but it is free and open source with the idea of building on what there is.

4. ZacG

ZacG

Really need this, please keep on making it and i believe a lot devs including me will get this plugin!

5. lucidtripper

lucidtripper

I just got M2 from DOF Reality - thanks for making this package - I will test it asap