Search Unity

Creative Motion Matching (MxM) Animation System for Unity (Released-beta)

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by CptKen, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Ravery

Ravery

Not gonna lie, it's rather disappointing and fills me with buyer's remorse seeing even the demo scene fail in such way.
    Here is an example of the flying character bug:
    https://imgur.com/a/RwzkUY2

As of now I'm really disappointed by this asset and would love to get a refund, if there is not a good solution to avoid these kind of bugs.
    It's not just "looks kinda weird". These are major bugs and might be gamebreaking, because they will allow players more freedom than level designers intend them to have.
    I'd feel bad and ashamed shipping a product with such a broken movement system.

Edit:
    This bug is not consistent. Here is an example how it is supposed to look:
    https://imgur.com/a/xkdiSRP
    The animations are still jagged and don't feel smooth, but at least the character does not fly this time.

2. Archit3ct

Archit3ct

You know this is just an example right? Also, you should see this as a code lib, where it's up to you to get most out of it :) You have the power to create the most awesome character controller ever seen with this tech.

3. ehillrti

ehillrti

@Gabriel_SG as soon as you have a chance to evaluate the feasibility of using MxM with uMMORPG and Mirror, please let us know what you think. My group is just starting a project where MxM could offer an order of magnitude improvement in realism given our small team and limited timeframe but it ABSOLUTELY has to work in a networked environment (albeit a small CCU on a closed LAN).

transat likes this.
  4. blackbrosg

blackbrosg

hello people I'm going crazy to give a smooth animation to the xp bar slider from ummorpg, any ideas?, thanks x/

5. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

haven't started looking into it yet... maybe in 2020, still waiting on ummorpg v2.

6. holyfot

holyfot

This asset could really use a character controller on top of it. It would be way too hard to integrate with other character controllers.

[Edit] So far making a controller wasn't as hard as I had previously thought. It will take some work thought!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  7. CptKen

CptKen

I don't know why Unity forums did not notify me of all of these messages. I've only been receiving the ones from the other forum post. I apologise for the late responses and I will respond now. Also please note there is a Discord channel for direct support which is the fastest way to get help, report bugs etc.

I'm sorry that you experienced this and apologies for the very late response. The asset has improved a lot since then and I hope that it can be of better use to you now especially with the newly added animations and many bug fixes / improvements.

The character controller flying up into the air is an issue with Unity's character controller unfortunately which is not very tolerant to clipping. I have made improvements to avoid this bug a lot in later versions.

However, as mentioned by others, the demo is not supposed to be a production ready game template. It is only intended to showcase some of MxM's features. Additionally, the asset is not intended to be plug and play and the store page does mention animation requirements as well as coding ability requirements to get the best out of the asset.

I'm sorry I couldn't help you sooner. Not sure if it is related more to MxM or ummorpg. If you are still around and needing help be sure to jump onto the Discord channel.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  8. CptKen

CptKen

The asset is not intended to do anything more than synthesise animation with the motion matching technique. While it does have other features which can be built upon, this is the core of the asset. It is not intended to be plug and play or be a fully encompassing, independent character system.

It has been purposefully designed this way with flexibility in mind so that advanced users can make whatever character controller / system they desire with it. Every game is different and with very different character controller requirements so making one system to go along with it will only serve a small few while building in limitations and taking away development time from the core purpose of the asset which is motion matching itself.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    GuitarBro likes this.
  9. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

10. CptKen

CptKen

GuitarBro likes this.
  11. papathor

papathor

Does Motion Matching for Unity not work on OSX? I set everything up and there are no errors, but the movement in the demo is insanely jittery and basically doesn't work. Here's a screencap showing what it looks like:

Is there anything I can do to fix this and get it working?

Edit: btw I'm running Unity 2020.1 on OSX Catalina.

12. transat

transat

It's been working great for me in 2020.1 with Catalina.

13. papathor

papathor

Ok I feel like an idiot, I should have tried this first. If anyone else has this problem, quitting Unity and relaunching the project fixed this issue for me.

Does anyone know where you can buy Mocap takes for motion matching (ideally a dance card for movement/locomotion)?
    I have some high quality cut takes, but as the MxM docs stress, MoCap expressly for motion matching is how to get the best quality.

14. CptKen

CptKen

Hi, good to hear that your problem is solved and apologies for the late response I've been away on holidays.

I have had this reported by Mac users before. While everything should work on OSX, I'm unable to officially support it at this point in time as I currently have no way of testing it.

Regarding motion capture dance cards. I do stress that the best possible motion matching is achieved with mocap in the documentation. However, I don't expect everyone to be able to source that. It is definitely something for medium -> large studios and those that have high animation capacity.

My hope is that with motion matching becoming more popular (e.g. Kinematica), this kind of animation will be provided more often. I myself do have a mocap suit and have plans to make / distribute / sell a lot more animations but that is in the long term pipeline as it is a big undertaking.

It is possible to get good quality with cut clips, it just won't be 'as good' as mocap takes. There are ways to make cut clips function better by extending them a little (particularly starts and plant transitions) so they do not end so abruptly.

15. NothingMeans

NothingMeans

How to use MxM with new input system???

16. CptKen

CptKen

On the TrajectoryGenerator component, check the box that says 'Manual Input'. Then at runtime, you will need to manually set the 'InputVector' property on the TrajectoryGenerator based on the movement values from the new input system.

17. pixel_maniacs

pixel_maniacs

Has anybody encouter this problem?
    Once I load a scene at runtime with an mxm animator in it we do get this error

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. MotionCurveData.InitializeCurvesRuntime () (at Assets/Plugins/MotionMatching/Code/MxM/Data/Animation/MotionCurveData.cs:27)
    3. MxM.MxMAnimData.InitializeNativeData () (at Assets/Plugins/MotionMatching/Code/MxM/Data/Core/MxMAnimData.cs:135)
    4. MxM.MxMAnimator.Initialize () (at Assets/Plugins/MotionMatching/Code/MxM/Runtime/MxMAnimator/MxMAnimator.cs:733)
    5. MxM.MxMAnimator.Start () (at Assets/Plugins/MotionMatching/Code/MxM/Runtime/MxMAnimator/MxMAnimator.cs:322)
    Has anybody seen this before?

18. pixel_maniacs

pixel_maniacs

OK Reprocessing the animation data fixed it. Strange behaviour cause it seems to work when entering play mode in the scene directly

19. DaveLloyd

DaveLloyd

Hi, I'm just starting out with MxM and all is pretty good so far. One think I'm after is a bit more control over the intermediate gaits between walk and run say. Warping seems to be the answer to that. But when I set the Longitudinal Error Warping to Stride it complains there is no Stride Warper Component attached and I can't find one. A quick look at the code suggests there should be a class implementing ILongitudinalWarper.

What am I missing?

20. NeonTheCoder

NeonTheCoder

Does this support animation retargeting? For example, in the Ubisoft demo for this technology at GDC allowed the developer to take one mocap walking set and apply it to many different skeletons/avatar definitions including 2 legged avatar animations onto 4 legged avatars. Is that possible with this? Or would some modification be needed for this?

21. Zultron

Zultron

All the discord links on asset store and this forum has expired is there discord server still available?

22. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Here ya go, should never expire:
    https://discord.gg/5ZAz42n9bW