Search Unity

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Hey there :)

Got the spells working fine. Just wondered.. you have a mana cost in your Item Category. Have you linked that to a stat in Inv Pro somewhere, or will it deduct the mana cost directly from a stat called Default_Mana?

Oh EDIT... That editor script.. it blows up with type or namespce 'EditorBase' could not be found.. is there another bit?

M

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. Tryz

Tryz

Even though you have a replacement on the character, you can still put my Basic Attributes on the ground. From your first sentence, it sounds like you did that.

How about trying a fresh project with my assets. Here's what I did:
    1. Created a new Unity 2017.3 project
    2. Imported the MC
    3. Imported the SCMP (including the animation and .meta files)
    4. Opened the demo scene and tested FireWall (it worked)
    5. Imported the AMP (including the animation and .meta files)
    6. In the SCMP demo scene, setup the archery motions using the Packs tab
    7. Ran the scene and tested FireWall (it worked)

I could shoot arrows with the bow (and see the reticle) and I could cast Firewall and see the reticle and the projection on the ground.

The "Select Position Core" is never on the character. It's just in the scene when you cast the spell as it's what moves around to project the shadow on the ground.

Make sure the "Collsion Layers" matches the Unity Layer you have for the ground too.

3. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

okay Houston we have a problem :)

new 2017 project.
    Imported MC 2.71
    Tested a couple of demos... fine
    Imported SCMP 0.16
    Imported Animations
    Imported metas
    Closed and re-opened Unity
    Went into Spell Casting Demo and setup pack
    Problems....

Had reticule onscreen could only cast firewall at distance of reticule straight ahead (no shadow on ground)

Disabled Reticule.. back to normal spellcasting with shadow on ground (Firewall worked).

stopped test there because we had a divergance.

M

Tryz likes this.
  4. Tryz

Tryz

Go ahead and email me that project. This way I have what you have.

5. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

sent and TY :)

M

6. francescobr

francescobr

Tryz and rubble1 like this.
  7. Salja

Salja

hey tim some news about the next video ?

8. Tryz

Tryz

Unfortunately, not yet. I've been buried with contract work and support requests. :(

9. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

OK, here's another video while we wait for Tim's:

I've been putting in time on some of my existing assets recently, plus adding a few new ones. I just updated my old missile launcher, which had 2 preset targets and fixed animations, to one using dynamic targets and actual homing missiles. The missiles use an asset called Missile Behaviours from the Asset Store, but I wrote my own turret and launch control script. I've also added a brand spanking new Mk49 launcher, firing shorter range RIM-116 rolling airframe missiles, to provide more options than the old Mk29 ESSM launcher. Firing is done using Ootii's Interactable Core to position the character and operate the controls - not very sophisticated, just the standard push motion, but does the job for now. Sometimes even the Unnatural Selector isn't a big enough gun for the kind of hunting my game character likes to do. ;)

recon0303, TeagansDad, Tryz and 3 others like this.
  10. Tryz

Tryz

hahaha... you rock! :D

11. clockworkxvi

clockworkxvi

G'day chums.

Having a lot of success (and a huge amount of fun) prototyping with the Sword&Shield pack at the moment - fantastic, very robust system you've made here and it gets off of the ground almost immediately.

However, I'm at a bit of a dead end with integrating AI into some of the player input features you've included - I'd like for my NPC to be able to navigate around the same state machine as my player, chaining attacks together with different FoAs much like the player does, but also able to break out of this combo if their logic dictates it. A "rival character" with the same moveset and functionality as the player, effectively.

Calling ActivateMotion() doesn't seem to be workable as it doesn't take Form as an argument (which the FoA logic relies on), SetAnimatorMotionPhase() feels more like me making a workaround than an intended solution as I'd have to hard code the entire combo, and the Ripper series on YouTube revolves around the cooldown function which I'd rather not rely on - I'm using a different resource and I'd prefer not to uproot the design of the system.

Any input on this would be greatly welcomed!

12. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @clockworkxvi ,

Check out my documentation on Reactors. This page gives you an example of how you can change the attack style every time the NPC attacks with the weapon.

With this approach, you have a total control over what attack style is used.

That said, you can send the attack style through with the ActivateMotion(Motion, Parameter) call. You do that by passing the attack style index in as the "Parameter" argument. Personally, I think the Reactors have a better flow.

That's a good point about the Ripper series. I was using the cool-downs to determine when it could attack, but I should probably put that into a Reactor to show that off better.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  13. clockworkxvi

clockworkxvi

@Tryz

That's done the trick! Odd that over the course of all of my poking around I've never found this documentation before, only the pdf guides.

Thanks a bunch, Tim :)

hopeful and Tryz like this.
  14. francescobr

francescobr

You're right, unless you find the links somewhere, those pages are really hard to find just browsing the website.

15. francescobr

francescobr

@Tryz a question about InteractableCore class. I see it is a partial class, where's the rest of the implementation? I can't seem to find it.
    And which method is the one where you raycast to check if the player can activate the object? I could find TestActivator but I don't see any raycast in that method.

16. Tryz

Tryz

I've put a link on the ootii.com page for Unity Assets and I'll start spreading the link around more.

There's still a lot more I need to transfer, but it is a good resource.

17. Tryz

Tryz

I made it partial so that you can expand on it without having to modify my class.

Some of the beta testers requested that I start doing that.

The raycast actually happens in the BasicInteraction motion (line 243).

First, I do a raycast to see if I hit something on the interactable layer. If I do, I send that information to the InteractableCore's TestActivator() to see if the character/activator really did activate the interactable. If so, InteractableCore.Activate() is called.

18. francescobr

francescobr

Good, thanks again!

Tryz likes this.
  19. RecursiveRuby

RecursiveRuby

Hey Tim,
    I want to serialise a reference to a scriptable object in one of my motions but I'm having trouble getting it working. I notice you do JSON serialising of your attack styles in the combat pack but I'm not quite sure how I would go about expanding this for project references. I was going to maybe just use a monobehaviour container and getcomponent if its complicated but I figured I'd ask you first if there's an easier more cleaner way in doing this.

20. tblan

tblan

Hi Tim,

My project uses the Motion Controller with the Photon Unity Networking (PUN) solution and transferring multiple character's position, rotation, and animation information works great. However, I have run into issues with both Sword and Shield pack and the Archery pack. For example, when the local player changes equipment, I can Instantiate the sword and shield prefabs on the non-local client but they do not appear in the right place, mount correctly, and never become a children of the player.

Do you have any advice on which functions I should be addressing? Also, would you suggest using RPC's, Custom Player Properties, or another solution to track and update player equipment changes?

21. Tryz

Tryz

Unity has odd serialization requirements:
    1. Normal MonoBehaviours don't support lists of derived types
    2. ScriptableObjects can't be stored in prefabs
    3. Object ReferenceIDs are not consistent and reliable as the scene changes

So, a lot of us asset developers use custom serialization to overcome these limitations.

For GameObjects to be serialized in the motions, I use the the path to the GameObject plus some extra logic. You can see that in the MotionControllerMotion.cs at line 1356.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you would serialize a reference to a scriptable object as they typically don't live in the scene. What you might be able to do is have a "Scriptable Object Library" as a MonoBehavior where it stores specific references. Then, you could have an int field int field or name field that references the ScriptableObject you want.

Other than work-arounds like this, I'm not sure.

22. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @Tblan ,

These sound more like networking questions. As in "How do you synchronize the creation of objects and parenting across the network". Unfortunately, I really don't have any advice for you.

I would guess that the networking solution should have an answer for this. There's got to be a way for the server to understand that one client spawned an object and that it has to replicate that across all the clients. I just don't know.

Networked multiplayer is something I just don't have much experience with and synchronizing object creation across the network isn't something I've done before.

I know others are using PUN with the MC, but I don't know how they handle these situations.

23. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Yeah, I use ScriptableObjects quite extensively in my projects, but I don't reference them directly from Motions or other objects that are serialized in the editor using a custom method.

For example, I made an AttackStyleDefinition SO that contains all of the fields used in AttackStyle, as well as an AttackStyleSet SO that contains an ordered list of AttackStyleDefinitions, plus a bool that indicates if the styles are part of a chain. I place a reference to the AttackStyleSet in a component on my weapon prefabs, and then a component on the character listens for OnWeaponSetEquipped events on BasicInventory. When it receives the event, it clears out the AttackStyles property on BasicMeleeAttack and repopulates the collection using the values stored in the SO.

Tryz likes this.
  24. tblan

tblan

@Tryz , @TeagansDad

Thank you for your speedy responses. The insight has been very helpful.

Tryz likes this.
  25. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

ok silly question again :)

when health gets to zero, character dies and plays the death animation.
    He is moved to a safe spawn point and given a few health back but he is still in the death anim.

Whats the easiest way to reset the char to Idle pose please and reset control of the character to normal?

M

26. Salja

Salja

https://ootiigames.com/?p=445

Tryz and MaliceA4Thought like this.
  27. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Tryz likes this.
  28. Necka_

Necka_

Edit: No idea why my nickname doesn't show on the forum... That would be another question ;)
    I'm really a starter here...

Hi there,
    got a quick question for you guys expert with ootii Motion controller :)
    I'm new to Unity development and actually going with the "no scripting" part as I have no skills in there. I managed them when needed of course by reading tutorials and such; so basically I can understand some parts :)
    What I can do is animate and put animations together so they're nice and smooth.

Ok back to my question: My protype involve a vampire in a nice little word full of life. When night comes he need to feed (not like slaying the whole village feeding; He'll just need one target each night, will be in sneak mode, teleport behind his prey and suck him dry.

The animation (still working this part) should be him being behind his prey, catch him, holding his head with the right hand (so the NPC is actually holded by the Player) then the player head goes to the NPC Neck and particles will do the job for the blood part.

I think I could look at the interacting effect that would replace my character to be on the right spot behind my prey and contnue with the animation.

My two points are:
    -I don't know how to handle the holding part of my player so he really hold his head
    -i don't know how I should once NPC is held have my character plunge his teeth in its neck (that would be a close up shot) and then release so he fall on the ground.

Again the animations aren't much an issue to me. It's more the whole motion thing (and the code I can't write)

I can at least prepare the motions roughly and come back to you for some help

So flow so far: Character is in the darkness, sneaking, moving toward a prey by walk or teleport. Once close enough, the whole holding the hand and plunging the teeth in his neck.

And that blood would be resource of course. Guess I can manage that somehow with reading documentation, but that's last step.

If anyone has some kind of ideas on how to do all this motion properly, I'm taking it and I'll thank you awkwardly for some time

rubble1 likes this.
  29. hopeful

hopeful

Not much to add here except welcome to the Unity forums, welcome to the ootii-verse, and ... trying to make close contact between characters is very tricky, so no surprise at all you're having difficulty figuring it out. You'll have to come up with a clever and easy way of approximating it. The final adjustments in the animations would be done through IK. If you're not familiar with that, look it up and see what you think.

:)

Tryz likes this.
  30. Tryz

Tryz

Welcome.

As @hopeful said, getting characters to interact precisely is tricky. After all, you don't want your vampire biting the shoulder or the forehead of his victim. :)

You *might* be able to use the interaction system. You'd have to put an "InteractableCore" component on the victim. However, you will probably only want that active with the victim isn't moving or something. I haven't tried moving interactables.

This documentation on Interactables should help
    Object Interactions

You may also want to look into tools like Playmaker and Bolt. Those can help non-coders with visual scripting.

I hope that helps.

rubble1 likes this.
  31. rubble1

rubble1

I totally agree. If you know what want, Playmaker, or a visual script tool can be a really great way to get started. Just out of the box, it was really intuitive for some common things I was trying to do. I think now, there's even some extra actions to help control ootii stuff on the vault.

The forum, the documentation, and the videos have been especially helpful too.

Tryz likes this.
  32. Necka_

Necka_

Thanks a lot,

I'll make some try.

Regarding the answer about IK just before; I'm not afraid of IK or even animating whole parts by hand as I'm formerly a video editor and spent lots of time with After Effects, Blender and other funny tools. Key framing is my second passion :) even though all was done at an amateur level, that's still something that should help.

For the NPC, I'm thinking indeed of blocking his upper body part to not move so I don't have to go crazy on this motion. I'll do some test and come back here to show it off and probably begging for help :)

For Playmaker: that's the way I go already. Not a coder, not having the time needed to learn it deeply so I rely on tools I can manage and.. maybe ask here and there for some help if really I need code.

I discussed with Salja who created some Playmaker actions for MC; he's really good help too.

So now, onto the interactables objects documentation and tutorials :)

Salja and Tryz like this.
  33. Salja

Salja

My Idea is to create more support for ootii and playmaker but at the moment i have not really a idea witch actions is needed :D

Necka_, rubble1 and Tryz like this.
  34. clockworkxvi

clockworkxvi

The Ootii-verse. Inspired! ;)

I've been playing around with reactors, as suggested, and I've been having a lot of success creating some basic AI. Pretty easy to build on!

I've hit a problem with detecting the kind of attack that's being received onto the defender. I've got a push kick (which is animating and sending messages correctly) that I'd like to shunt the defender, and I thought I'd use the DEFENDER_DAMAGED reactor to trigger this. However, when I print the StyleIndex (StyleIndex of 5 is the push kick) of the combat message the player has received, it's always -1. I assume this is the default StyleIndex for new CombatMessages?

Here's the code I'm using at the moment:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void ApplyImpactPhysics(ReactorAction rAction)
    2.     {
    3.         CombatMessage lMessage = rAction.Message as CombatMessage;
    5.         Debug.Log("Strike recieved on player: " + lMessage.StyleIndex);
    7.         if (lMessage.StyleIndex == 5)
    8.         {
    9.             Vector3 resultantVector = defender.gameObject.transform.forward - attacker.transform.forward;
    10.             Vector3 normalisedVector = -ResultantVector.normalized;
    11.             AC.AddImpulse(normalisedVector3 * pushForce);
    12.             Debug.Log("force of " + (normalisedVector3 * pushForce) + " applied to player");
    13.         }
    14.         CombatMessage.Release(lMessage);
    15.     }
    Any insight, as always, is really appreciated!

35. Tryz

Tryz

That's great to hear! I figured I'd give some time for people to play with things before I start adding more. :)

The message is typically created in WeaponCore.cs (line 328). That's where most of the properties are set.

What I'm realizing is that I'm never setting the index or combat style on that message. I guess I just never needed it, but you're right... it should be set.

I'll have this for the next update (this week). It's a little trickier because the WeaponCore.cs needs a new property to store the index before the impact actually occurs.

If you can hold out a couple of days, I'll send it to Unity. If not, feel free to email tim@ootii.com and I'll explain what you have to add.

One last note: Don't release the CombatMessage in your function. The function that created it (probably in the WeaponCore.cs) will release it once everyone has processed it. You may be releasing too early.

clockworkxvi and hopeful like this.
  36. Necka_

Necka_

Oh don't worry Salja, as I've said, I'm not a coder at all, so I'm pretty sure I'll come up with some requests regarding Playmaker actions if you don't mind :)
    The thing I was used to with many script is to use the Get/Set property on a script (Like I had a Jump script and one of the checkbox in the debug was "Is Jumping") with the Playmaker action I could just modify this box.

From Ootii controls, I apparently can't get that working at all, it doesn't intercept it like it would on regular scripts. I honestly didn't check deeper at the moment as I'm just playing with different options to see what it does and does not (spoiler: mostly it does not :D because I can't trigger everything without code)

I saw in your actions that you already have some actions using those (I think it's called Public bools?)

I definitely now that I'll need to be able to interact with more, but I can probably also look at how you made the Playmaker actions and adapt them. Don't want to annoy people and ask them to do the work for me. I need to learn too.

Tryz likes this.
  37. Salja

Salja

im happy if i can help to learn if you has questions feel free send me a message on the forum on my discord or what ever i will help :D

Tryz likes this.
  38. clockworkxvi

clockworkxvi

More than happy to wait for the update. Plenty else I can be getting along with! Thanks again, Tim.

Tryz likes this.
  39. rubble1

rubble1

Hey,

How would I enable or disable a reactor to the character at runtime?

Here's what I'm trying:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ActorCore mActorCore = myPlayer.GetComponent<com.ootii.Actors.LifeCores.ActorCore>();
    2. mActorCore.AddReactor(MyCustomReactor);

I've also tried this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. myPlayer.GetComponent<com.ootii.Actors.LifeCores.ActorCore>().AddReactor(MyCustomReactor);
    Also, if I have questions about a custom reactor, would it be okay to post that code here?

40. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @rubble1 ,

I just tested this code and it all works as expected:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using com.ootii.Actors.LifeCores;
    3. using com.ootii.Reactors;
    5. namespace com.ootii.Demos
    6. {
    7.     public class Simple_code1 : MonoBehaviour
    8.     {
    9.         void OnGUI()
    10.         {
    11.             if (GUI.Button(new Rect(10f, 10f, 100f, 20f), "Add Reactor"))
    12.             {
    13.                 BasicKilledReactor lNewReactor = new BasicKilledReactor();
    14.                 ActorCore lActorCore = gameObject.GetComponent<ActorCore>();
    15.                 lActorCore.AddReactor(lNewReactor);
    16.             }
    18.             if (GUI.Button(new Rect(10f, 40f, 100f, 20f), "Disable Reactor"))
    19.             {
    20.                 ActorCore lActorCore = gameObject.GetComponent<ActorCore>();
    21.                 ReactorAction lOldReactor = lActorCore.Reactors[0];
    22.                 lOldReactor.IsEnabled = false;
    23.             }
    25.             if (GUI.Button(new Rect(10f, 70f, 100f, 20f), "Remove Reactor"))
    26.             {
    27.                 ActorCore lActorCore = gameObject.GetComponent<ActorCore>();
    28.                 ReactorAction lOldReactor = lActorCore.Reactors[0];
    29.                 lActorCore.RemoveReactor(lOldReactor);
    30.             }
    31.         }
    32.     }
    33. }
    The first button adds a new reactor, the second disables the first reactor, and the third section deletes the first reactor.

When you say "runtime", do you mean running in the editor or an actual build? I don't see any reason why your code wouldn't work. Just remember that unity won't refresh the inspector right away.

If you're posting your custom reactor, sure. :)

I just ask that you don't post my code at length (ie a whole function or file).

rubble1 likes this.
  41. rubble1

rubble1

Thanks. that helps a lot!

Tryz likes this.
  42. SwingNinja

SwingNinja

Hi,
    I'm trying to figure out the workflow if I want to import a Maya character with motion clips. My understanding is that for the character, I need to go from Bone Controller to Actor Controller to Motion Controller? Is there already a write up or a youtube video(s) that cover this (similar) workflow? Thanks.

43. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @SwingNinja ,

I think what you're calling "motion clips" are just animations in the FBX. So, you have a character (skeleton + skinned mesh) and some animations.

This is just Unity's standard import of FBX files. You just want to make sure the Unity rig is set to "Humanoid".
    https://docs.unity3d.com/560/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-importObject.html

From there, you can just use the Motion Controller. I include lots of animations. So, you won't need your own walk, run, jump, etc. unless you want to replace mine... which you can.

I suggest you start with these videos:

If you prefer documentation, you can check out the Motion Controller user's guide:
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MotionController/MC2Guide.pdf

You don't have to worry about the Bone Controller unless you want IK. The Motion Controller uses the Actor Controller under-the-hood. For the most part you can ignore that, but eventually you'll poke around with it.

That should get you started.

44. SwingNinja

SwingNinja

Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try the Motion Controller soon. There's some floating/flying going on with my character (kinda like Playstation Rez game), so that's why I need to import some clips :)

Tryz likes this.
  45. JUBA-C4

JUBA-C4

Hi,
    Does anyone get EasyTouch5 work with the motion pack? If so can you please share with us the input script Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  46. Awesumo

Awesumo

Hello,

I'm using latest version of MC and run & jump isn't firing, and jump alone plays the animation sequence but the character sticks to the ground. Also, walking up ramps the character can only go about halfway up. Tried fooling around with ALL the settings, found that if I decrease the radius of the colliders a bit I could get the character up a ramp, but not consistently. Any ideas? I am using a common modular dungeon environment and I've never had issues running around on it using other controllers. I am using UMA2 and UNET as well, but doubt those things are causing these issues. Any ideas?

47. Awesumo

Awesumo

Nevermind.... My project prefs had y = -200 set for gravity!!!

Tryz likes this.
  48. Awesumo

Awesumo

Jump and Run still not firing though...

49. Tryz

Tryz

hahaha... that's a lot of gravity. :)

Did you press the "Setup Input Entries" button on the MC? You have to do that the first time you use it as it sets the "Jump" and "Run" entries in the Unity Input Manager.

I just did a full install of the MC and I'm not having any issues with either jumps. I opened the demo_Terrain scene, pressed "Setup Input Entries", added Running Jump, and everything worked.

(Of course Running Jump only worked when I was running by pressing left-shift and W).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  50. Awesumo

Awesumo

Setup Input Entries has been pressed. And when I run the demos everything works fine. Something in my scene is misconfigured. I only get walk, run, jump from a standstill, etc. Idle isn't even playing. I am instancing a prefab through UNET and using UMA DCS as well so it is highly likely I have something wrong in my settings. I'll keep at it. Just didn't want to spend a lot of time on it if others were experiencing the same issue or there was a quick fix others know about.

I bought basically the whole line of Ootii assets and so far very impressed. Thanks for building these assets and supporting them!!

Tryz and hopeful like this.