Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Tryz

Tryz

Good stuff. I haven't used those models, but Mister Netcturus has some great stuff.

I totally understand. That's one of the reasons I really like the modular approach of the MC. In fact the updates I'm working on now will make it even easier to add your own animations. Hopefully that will be out soon.

Good luck with the project. :)

TeagansDad and neoshaman like this.
  2. nomax5

nomax5

Hi again,

I have an annoying camera movement delay when in 1st person which is not apparent in 3rd person. I don’t know how to correct it.

What I’m trying to achieve is the same sensitivity and precision as the Unity Standard Assets first person controller.

I can’t seem to achieve it and its making my game unplayable.

The smooth moving camera is ideal for 3rd person because it’s floating 10 feet behind the character and tweening or what ever over a longer distance in an arc around the character.

I’ve done a video to highlight the problem

Either by pressing a key or scrolling the mouse wheel I need to transition into first person with no movement delay or overshooting.

Any help greatly appreciated

<meanwhile a few minutes later>
    OMG I just found the Answer !!

there is a Smoothing field on the Camera Rig in the 1st person View section, I can't believe I missed it - it's hidden under the pitch
    I looked about 10 times and simply didn't see it.

<SOLVED>
    Doh it took me ages to make this post

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  3. Tryz

Tryz

hahaha... Yep. Happens to me all the time. As soon as I ask for help, I find the answer. :)

4. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

If i want to use all your motion packs and also want to use Malbers HAP how will i import or combine them?
    On the HAP asset there is bow, pistol and melee animations but when the player is not on the horse i want to use your melee and bow animations.
    Also can you explane how i can use the pistols animations when not on the horse?

Do you have a video on how to change the character?

Do you see any problems by using your assets with the ones from devdog mainly inventory pro and quest pro?

Edit:
    Just saw the integration videos from Malbers so i know how to use the bow and melee animations on the horse now. Maybe you or Malbers can help me with the pistols?

Then i have to say that i do not understand how i made (and maybe provide) my own animations working with the motion controller. For example if i want to make an automatic slope sliding animation or if i want a lifting animation activated with a key or button.
    Also a video would be great (wich one is valid?).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  5. Tryz

Tryz

Malbers did a great job with the integration videos. Glad you found that.

With something small like a button press, you can use the Simple Motion to avoid having to code anything. I talk about that in the Motion Builder's Guide (page 1)

For more complex animations (like knowing when to slide on a slope or guns), you'll want to create your own custom motions. Think of these as wrappers around your animation that tell the animation when to activate, deactivate, and extra stuff (like shoot).

Here are some resources:

1. Check out the Motion Builder's Guide.

2. There's 4 videos on Youtube that take you through creating different motions.

This one is a good one to start with:

I'm currently in the process of a major update that will help with using custom animations and motion. Hopefully that will be out in another week or two.

recon0303, rubble1 and TeagansDad like this.
  6. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Could it be that there are problems with the input in 2017.1 ?
    Maybe 2017.1 is not supported at the moment but would love to use it.

I triy to use your motion packs there but i get imput problems for every one.
    No errors, they just do not woork.

Would you use your input controller easy input or another one ;)
    Thought maybe i should buy it to have it all from one.

7. Tryz

Tryz

That's odd... I just tested and all the inputs work (Unity 2017.1.0f3).

Just follow the User's Guide to make sure the input is setup right (page 2):
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MotionController/MC2Guide.pdf

For each motion pack, you'll go to the "Packs" tab to add the required input entries. I talk about those in the setup steps for each pack.

If you're trying to use an Xbox controller, just make sure you check the "Use Xbox" on the Input Source. That will add all the needed entries to Unity's Input Manager.

You can use any input solution, including Unity's native one. You'll just need an input source for your input solution. I include a "Unity Input Source" and a "Easy Input Source". This video explains the input sources:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    antoripa likes this.
  8. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Confirmed. I just upgraded to 2017.1.0f3 last week. No issues with Motion Controller's inputs, or anything else. If you're having problems, make sure you have the latest versions of Motion Controller, and any accessories and packs. If necessary, re-install them, following the setup instructions in their respective user guides. :)

Tryz likes this.
  9. reocwolf

reocwolf

I'm not working on this. It's just a quick thought but I should be able to use the sliding motion as a basis for activating an "auto climb" by a certain slope instead. right?

10. Tryz

Tryz

When you say "activating an 'auto climb'", do you mean one of my climbing motions? They require a valid "edge" that the character attaches to.

You could certainly use a sliding motion to activate the test, but then we'll need to find an edge. Once found, then the climbing motions can be activated.

I'm hoping I'm understanding what you're asking. :rolleyes:

11. reocwolf

reocwolf

Kinda. But I would prob want to just enter the climbing motion without the need to find an edge. It would be more like the ladder climbing motion but instead of climbing a ladder the character would practically climb anything that is climbable and > the set slope value, including terrain. So if I walk to a very steep part of my terrain he would automatically climb it instead of slide. The problem would be to get the character into position. Right?

12. Tryz

Tryz

I see. You're meaning something like the "Climb Wall" motion that scales a wall like Spider-Man.

In that case, you can activate it. Like the Climb Ladder motion, I use a trigger area to know when I can activate the motion. You could avoid that and just force the climb to activate.

I deal with getting the character into the right position a lot. So, there's lots of examples of how I do it in the climb motions. When you get to that point, let me know and I'll give you more details.

13. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

It would be cool to have an "enhanced" set of climb motions, that would let you handle steep slopes (>60 degrees), vertical walls (90 degrees), and overhangs (>90 degrees), and transition seamlessly between them as needed. Then besides ladders and perfectly vertical walls, you could also climb things like this:

... and being a video game, you could do it without all those sissy ropes. ;)

Dwight_Everhart, recon0303 and Tryz like this.
  14. Tryz

Tryz

Hahaha... agreed on both accounts. :)

15. recon0303

recon0303

HAHA.

16. Tryz

Tryz

Update 2.6 is coming...

I know it's been quiet around here lately, but trust me... there's been a lot of work going on. The beta testers and I are finishing up and I hope to release Update 2.6 this weekend.

So, what's taken so long? Here's some cool features coming your way:

1. Simpler approach to using motion packs

2. Simpler approach to adding and changing animations (no code changes needed)
    3. Simpler approach to using multiple layers for things like ‘shooting while walking’
    4. Introduction of 'States' for easier customization
    5. Introduction of ‘Reactors’ for easier customization

6. Introduction of Unity Events for easier customization

7. Introduction of new message flow for combat
    8. Ability to lock-on with the archery motion pack
    9. New approach to generating sub-state machines

To learn more about the features, check out the "not-so-done" update guide:
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MotionController/MC2_6_Update.pdf

Note: There are some major improvements that will require changes to how the MC characters are setup. I'll be documenting all this and creating a video to help. It won't be hard, but it will be required.

17. Szaruga

Szaruga

Great news :)
    As soon as I finish other things in my project, I will start using MC (already purchased)

Malbers and Tryz like this.
  18. recon0303

recon0303

cool, no worries for me, about not doing much, I put my mobile game a side for a bit, so this stuff will come in handy once I get back working on it. Our Steam game is using the camera only. I was out voted since I wasn't programming this time. so they are making there own , but I look forward to using this new stuff, on my mobile game and hopefully anything else I make in the future, best $65 bucks I spent. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to checking out the new stuff.

Alchemy-Games and Tryz like this.
  19. StudioTerra

StudioTerra

Can’t wait for the update! Any news if it will be released this weekend? (just planning my weekend a bit ;)

TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  20. Tryz

Tryz

That's what I'm shooting for, but I need to make sure documentation and videos are in place. :)

StudioTerra likes this.
  21. StudioTerra

StudioTerra

Thanks!

22. Tryz

Tryz

Check out the latest video on the MC 2.6 Update. More "how to" videos are coming, but this is an intro to the things that will make your gameplay easier to customize.

23. hopeful

hopeful

I really like the move to make the stuff inside MC more accessible to outside processes, like events and AI. It's also great to have the basic inventory, where equipped objects can be logged, and the attempt with stances and forms to help get animations from different sources working more smoothly.

I even like the folder change for demos, small as it is, because that makes it easier to skip importing all the demo scenes.

Thanks, Tim! :)

24. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Hi Tim,

Is it possible to call a LookAt method on Motion Controller? I'm having troubles getting the player to Look at a target. (I'm using ORK Framework.)

Thanks

25. Tryz

Tryz

It's not as simple as a Quaternion.LookAt for a couple of reasons:

1. With MC players, you typically can't just modify the transfrom.rotation property. That's because the Actor Controller is managing that.

2. Using LookAt could tilt the player if you're on uneven ground. We typically only want to "turn" the player on their y-axis.

Here's a function that I use in the Combatant to rotate the MC player to a target.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. protected virtual void RotateActorToTarget(Transform rTarget, float rSpeed)
    2. {
    3.     // Get the forward looking direction
    4.     Vector3 lForward = (rTarget.position - mActorController._Transform.position).normalized;
    6.     // We do the inverse tilt so we calculate the rotation in "natural up" space vs. "actor up" space.
    7.     Quaternion lInvTilt = QuaternionExt.FromToRotation(mActorController._Transform.up, Vector3.up);
    9.     // Character's forward direction of the actor in "natural up"
    10.     Vector3 lActorForward = lInvTilt * mActorController._Transform.forward;
    12.     // Target forward in "natural up"
    13.     Vector3 lTargetForward = lInvTilt * lForward;
    15.     // Ensure we don't exceed our rotation speed
    16.     float lActorToTargetAngle = NumberHelper.GetHorizontalAngle(lActorForward, lTargetForward);
    17.     if (rSpeed > 0f && Mathf.Abs(lActorToTargetAngle) > rSpeed * Time.deltaTime)
    18.     {
    19.         lActorToTargetAngle = Mathf.Sign(lActorToTargetAngle) * rSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
    20.     }
    22.     // Add the rotation to our character
    23.     Quaternion lRotation = Quaternion.AngleAxis(lActorToTargetAngle, Vector3.up);
    25.     if (mActorController._UseTransformPosition && mActorController._UseTransformRotation)
    26.     {
    27.         _Transform.rotation = _Transform.rotation * lRotation;
    28.     }
    29.     else
    30.     {
    31.         mActorController.Rotate(lRotation, Quaternion.identity);
    32.     }
    33. }

This function has them rotate over time so it's smoother. You could get rid of the middle "if" and just use the lActorToTargetAngle directly. At the end, I rotate the character depending on if they are using the raw transform (typically an NPC) or the AC (typically the PC).

I hope this helps.

26. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for your response. I'm sure a lot of people will get use out of this. I decided to go a different route of the following:

During field mode (The player walks around and activated at start of the game.):
    Activate MC and AC.
    Disable Character Controller component.
    Actor.Controller uses the Human controller supplied by MC.

During combat mode (During turn-based battle.):
    Deactivate MC and AC.
    Enable Character Controller component.
    Change Actor.Controller to custom Combat controller created by me to use with both PC and NPC's.

On combat mode complete:
    Reactivate MC and AC.
    Disable Character Controller component.
    Change Actor.Controller back to Human controller supplied by MC.

Is there any gotcha's/nuances that I need to watch out for when enabling/disabling AC and MC and enabling the Character Controller and swapping out the Actor.Controller at runtime?

Thanks very much for the awesome support!

27. Tryz

Tryz

The only thing I can think of is if you're in the middle of processing a motion and it expects the sub-state machine to be at a specific state... you stop the MC, but Mecanim moves on. Being out of sync could be an issue, but that would be extremely rare (if at all). Most motions are built to recover gracefully.

I think you'll be ok.

Happy to help. :)

28. Tryz

Tryz

Update 2.6 is live

This is a major update. Please take the time to look at the new documentation site.
    https://ootiigames.com/about/documentation/changes/update-2-6/

I'll be moving all documentation into this site and improving it over the coming weeks.

Tips:
    1. Start with a new project just to test things out and see how things work.
    2. Backup your real project before updating.
    3. Feel free to post here or email tim@ootii.com if there are issues.
    Warning:
    This update will require changes to scenes that use the Motion Packs. It won't be hard and I've documented the changes as well as created this video:

What's Next:
    1. Help people and fix bugs
    2. How To videos
    3. Documentation
    4. Small changes
    5. Shooter Motion Pack
    A major thanks to @TeagansDad , @FargleBargle , and @hopeful for all their work beta testing this. It wasn't easy and at times painful, but they were HUGE in making this all come together.

Not only did they find and help squash bugs, but they really had great ideas for features and usability.

Truly... thank you. :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Malbers, FargleBargle and TeagansDad like this.
  29. hopeful

hopeful

Best of luck, Tim! :)

This really is a major update. I didn't help as much as I wished I could have, but I hope this is a swing, hit, and grand slam for the MC user base.

30. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Congratulations @Tryz for finally getting this massive upgrade across the finish line. :D

In addition to the steps outlined in Tim's video above, remember to refresh the Mixamo metadata files from the Zip files in the Extras folders of each pack after importing the 2.6 updates. These files will have changed from the versions in your project, and since they affect how the animations import and ultimately function, you want them to match how the new packs do things. For more details, see the Setup section on Tim's new documentation site, or the "Updating Existing Projects" section of the 2.6 upgrade guide posted here.

After spending a fair amount of time beta testing it, here are a few Pros and Cons to consider beforehand:

Cons:
    • You'll need to read the upgrade guide, maybe watch a few videos, and make some changes to your existing Players/NPCs to set them up properly, and unlock their new abilities.
    • Umm... that's pretty much it really. I can't think of anything else.
    Pros:
    • If you use any of Tim's packs - Archery, Sword & Shield, or Spell Casting - or any of the future packs he has planned, this will unlock their full potential.
    • Upper body masking for things like attacks and blocks means no more standing toe-to-toe like a robot trading blows during combat. The action feels a lot more real and exciting when you don't have to stop moving first.
    • Target Locking from anywhere means you can lock onto an enemy, then select a weapon, and attack or block, while keeping him in your sights the whole time.
    • Combined with upper body masking, this allows running targeted attacks by both players and NPCs. As I told Tim, it turns enemies into Terminators, and your player into an unstoppable Apache Ninja warrior.
    • The new Basic Motions not only simplify the main motion list, but simplify the process of modifying or adding your own motions and animations. Want to use some of Kubold's animations instead of the default Mixamo packs? Go ahead. No need to write new motion scripts - just make new state machine blend trees, or substitute new animations into existing ones.
    • The new Reactors give you a way to customize the flow of combat. No more 'dumb' random attacks or blocks. Now your characters can react to the flow of combat, and intelligently choose their next moves on the fly.
    • Improved use of Unity Events and better combat message flow means you have much more control over how your characters behave in combat. Combined with Reactors, you now have the tools to create chained attacks, or complex motion sequences for various situations.
    The overall effect is smoother, more fluid combat, easier character customization, and more control over your character's behavior. Sure, it means a bit of additional work modifying existing characters, but it's well worth the effort for what you get back in return. Just remember to follow Tim's upgrade guide and videos, and back up any existing projects first. :)

Edit: During testing, we noticed a few errors after installing Motion Controller on Unity 2017.1:

Assertion failed: Next vertex not found in CheckWinding()​

Occlusion culling data is out of date. Please rebake​

Broken text PPtr in file(Assets/ootii/MotionController/Content/Animations/Humanoid/Humanoid.controller). Local file identifier doesn't exist!​

These seem to be just Unity being finicky, so if they happen to you, don't be alarmed. Just clear them and move on, and they shouldn't give you any further problems. :rolleyes:

Edit 2: Here's a quick sample, showing target locking and upper body masked motions:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  31. Szaruga

Szaruga

I'm a beginner programmer, I'm pretty good at doing something complicated - provided that I'm doing it myself from the beginning.
    I need something like MC for my project.
    First of all - I do not know about animations.
    Secondly, the Motion Controller ecosystem is completely alien and incomprehensible to me

A few general questions to get on started:
    - If I need fist fight - should I start with MC or SSMP?
    - adding pistols and rifles - need ArcheryMP or just MC?
    I have my own fairly complicated inventory system - I think how will integrate it with Basic Inventory ootii (but it should be relatively easy)
    - I'm interested in items such as shield or sword - not hidden in the character but for example hanging on the back - will it be difficult to do with the MC?
    - I downloaded to the Blank Project (Unity 2017.1) MC 2.6 and ArcheryMP v 0.75 and the "demo_AMP" scene does not work properly. The character does not take the bow and blocks himself. Etc (I know that version 2.6 introduces big changes, but the new project should probably work properly)

Regards.

32. Tryz

Tryz

Yes. The SSMP is really a "Melee Pack". So, you can use it for fist fights.

The guide should give you an overview of how the system works. In your case, you'll be adding 'fist fighting' animations and creating 'attack styles' that use those animations. You should be able to do this without coding.

Just the MC. Pistols and rifles are a lot different than bows as you don't typically use a real projectile like you do with an arrow. In this case, you would use the MC for movement like how I do with AMP and SSMP, but shooting is very different and you'll need to create that.

My next pack will be a shooting motion pack (pistols and rifles). However, I probably won't start that for another 2 weeks.

You can use your own. You just want to create an "Inventory Source" that bridges the gap between what I do and your system does. It shouldn't be too hard.

I created one for Inventory Pro and maybe you can use that as an example (event if you don't own Inventory Pro).
    http://www.ootii.com/UnityMotionVault.cshtml#InventoryPro

Basically, you'll implement my IInventorySource interface. There's like 4 functions to fill out.

No. In fact the SSMP and my Basic Inventory support that right now. You simply set the instance on the Basic Inventory Item.

Since you're using your own inventory solution, you will manage the item yourself. My stuff will basically ask your inventory solution to give me the item (through the IInventorySource interface).

It was working in my tests last night. What do you mean "blocks himself"?

Can you email tim@ootii.com some screen shots of your motions and animator layers? That may help me understand what you mean.

33. Szaruga

Szaruga

Sorry, I forgot about Pro Longbow Pack. :)

The character no longer blocks and takes out the bow, but still does not shoot
    (I have an old version of MC and AMP and it works there but it's hard to compare because the new MC and AMP scripts are very different from the old ones)

34. Tryz

Tryz

Did you setup the inputs for the pack? This is the "Create Input Aliases" checkbox on the "Packs" tab.

This adds the "Combat Attack" entry in Unity's Input Manager. The BasicRangedAttack motion defaults to using "Combat Attack" to fire the arrow.

35. Malbers

Malbers

I had these errors before with my assets... its a nasty unity bug... the easy way to fix that error is to duplicate the animator controller throwing that error, and deleting the old one... that should clean it up.

it doesn't do anything just is there... anoying everyone.

FargleBargle, hopeful and Tryz like this.
  36. hopeful

hopeful

I hate to add to your list of things to do, but probably this pack should be rebranded as a Melee Fighting pack.

Mixamo has a bunch of hand to hand and axe fighting animations that can be used with this, in addition to the sword and shield.

I'm not saying you need to take the extra step to incorporate those animations, but customers may not make the connection in their own mind without being told about it.

Tryz likes this.
  37. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Also, I'm still adapting the various Animset Pro melee animation sets under this new paradigm. I had previously gotten pretty far into developing motion packs for several of them, based on the Sword & Shield MP. There was a lot of tedious and repetitive setup in creating the Idle, WalkRunPivot, WalkRunStrafe, etc for each set, which was what got me talking to Tim about an easier way to handle that stuff.

So I had said that I was going to share my various Animset Pro motion packs -- and I still intend to. But they'll be under this new paradigm, so it's no longer necessary to have a dozen or more new motions for each animation set. Sword & Shield Animset Pro (SSAP) will still have a few custom motions for handling that blasted shield (since the animations that the pack uses for raising and lowering the shield are intended to be used on an additive blended layer). But so far, I haven't needed to create any custom motions for either Sword Animset Pro (SAP) or Longsword Animset Pro (LAP).

Now, whatever I do release is going to reflect my own idea as how a 3rd person action/adventure or action/RPG should play. There are a LOT of animations in those Animset Pro sets, and I think it's unlikely that a single game would use all of them -- particularly when it comes to the attack animations. What I'm doing there is giving each weapon set a standard 3-attack combo chain (Left -> Right -> Stab sort of thing) that you see in a lot of games. (That works well for the player, anyway. I'll probably also set up several attacks that don't chain together and start and end in the idle pose, mainly for the purpose of having AI characters perform randomly determined attack animations)

The attack animations I'm currently using are all step-and-attack, rather than stand-still-and-attack. This is in part because these packs are not consistent with regards to what sort of attack, parry, and hit animations they include. The oldest (SSAP) only has attack animations with a step forward and parry/hit animations that step back. SAP has a few in-place attack animations, but all of the parry animations still have the character stepping back, with hit animations that stagger either forward or back. LAP finally has some in-place parry/hit animations as well as attack animations. Two-Handed Sword Animset Pro (from Riko) has in-place attack and parry animation, but all of the hit animations have the stagger. SSAP also doesn't have any "hit from behind" animations, so I need to borrow one from SAP (mirrored) or LAP.

On the plus side, SSAP, LAP, and Two-Handed all have combat stances that are very, very similar in terms of foot placement and the angle of the upper body. SAP is very close as well, although you need to mirror the animations. So it's relatively easy to say, use a "Hit From Back" animation from LAP as part of the SSAP branch of "Basic Damaged" -- the character's left hand lets go of the hilt in this animation anyway, so I just transition out of the animation a bit early (before his left hand reaches back for the hilt) and give it a longer transition time to blend back into the SSAP idle pose.

However, this poses a bit of a problem for me in determining how to package this stuff up. Most people probably don't have all of the Kubold (and Riko) animation sets. But I also don't want to have to maintain multiple versions for different combinations of Animset Pro sets. Nor do I want to over-complicate the pack setup with a bunch of conditionals (e.g. if "Use LAP" is checked, then set up the animator sub-state to use the LAP "hit from behind" in the SSAP "Basic Damaged" branch, otherwise use the Mixamo one that doesn't really match up very well).

Probably the most significant amount of work involved in this is simply figuring out the best animations to use (when there are several choices) and in tweaking all of the transitions so that the controls feel responsive.

I've mostly been using Dark Souls (the first one) and Zelda: Breath of the Wild as my primary references. It's not going to exactly replicate either one, of course (and they're both different; Dark Souls has step-and-attack, while Zelda uses in-place attacks).

Anyway, I'm open to any input or suggestions as to how these should be set up by default, how I should package them (each animation set on its own vs related animation sets as a single package), etc.

38. Tryz

Tryz

Controlling the attack style with a reactor:
    https://ootiigames.com/controlling-the-attack-style-with-a-reactor/

Answers, Tutorials, and more...

One of the things I'm doing is building out a site for extra information. For example, I just created this short tutorial for changing the attack style your PC and NPCs use.

I'm experimenting with WordPress a bit... let me know what you think. :)

Malbers, KeithBrown and FargleBargle like this.
  39. recon0303

recon0303

In the long run it looks like it will help, but UGH, redoing work, sucks... for one man teams.. not to complain, I think it will pay off. Hopefully I don't have to re-do a ton. But either way glad it was done. Looks awesome, I have not used it, yet as I was forced to put down my mobile game due to a new Steam game. So looking forward to using this. So prolly good that I set it down until everything is tested anyways by a bunch of users:) So looking forward to it either way. Thanks for the Pros and Cons info. and all the other info .

hopeful, FargleBargle and Tryz like this.
  40. Timspurgeon

Timspurgeon

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone use this with PlayWay Water? Any suggestions on settings if your terrain is bumpy? Character seems to get stuck in dips and climbs.

41. nomax5

nomax5

I think having support on your site is the way to go Tim, I would have a section specifically aimed at New Customers that shows how easy it is to set up and more importantly the overall plan on how all your assets integrate with each other and 3rd party assets.

I'm a new customer and that wasn't apparent to me - there are a few character controllers on the asset store and they include things like the camera controller bits of IK and at first glance they look a better deal.
    The way you're designing the integration and the effort you put into that goal doesn't come across in your asset store listings.

IMHO you need that overview roadmap plan video: This is the plan, This is why they're seperate assets, This is what it works with etc.

I'm not complaining - I just want your asset to do well..

Roy

Tryz, FargleBargle and TeagansDad like this.
  42. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

I believe that you are on the right track by moving to WordPress. It is very easy to customize and should allow you to get information about updates, documentation, etc in a more readable/searchable format.

hopeful and Tryz like this.
  43. Tryz

Tryz

Great idea.

Interesting. I didn't think about this, but you're probably right.

I totally get it. Thank you! I think these are great ideas and good timing.

44. Tryz

Tryz

Thanks. I think I'm getting up to speed quickly with it. It's just another thing to learn. :)

45. Tryz

Tryz

Unfortunately, I never thought about waves when I did it. So, it's not something that it has built-in support for.

That said, I thought someone used one of the other water assets and was able to make the character move with the waves using the wave height data that came from the water asset. I'll see if I can't find anything in an old email.

46. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I still use the (now deprecated) Ceto Ocean package, and find that as long as the waves aren't too big, and I place the trigger plane for the swim motion near the troughs, I don't notice the character's lack of up and down motion too much. You kind of expect waves to wash over you sometimes, so as long as the character doesn't rise way out of the water, it's usually OK. I know Ceto allows me to query local wave height, but I've never looked into how to use that with the Swimming pack. If you do find any old emails on the subject, and have any suggestions about how best to apply wave displacement corrections to an MC swimmer, it might be worth finally digging into. :)

Tryz likes this.
  47. Tryz

Tryz

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the email. I think my archive caught it.

I don't own any of the water assets, but I'll add it to my to-do list.

recon0303 likes this.
  48. Teila

Teila

We just purchased MC after having issues with another asset. Is setting it all up vastly different from the current videos? Is there anything that shows how to set up the updated MC?

antoripa, TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  49. Tryz

Tryz

Welcome. :)

The MC is essentially no different than the videos and documentation I have out now. Really it's new features that I haven't explained yet. The motion pack integration is really the big thing. I did update the motion pack documentation and this video should help.

That said, I literally just sat down to do a new set of videos to go through setting up the MC, packs, and other assets. :)

I'll be posting them later tonight.

TeagansDad, FargleBargle and Teila like this.
  50. hopeful

hopeful

Welcome, fellow UMA user! <secret handshake> :)