Search Unity

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

count me in as beta tester for your asset

AndyNeoman and magique like this.
  2. zKici

zKici

Hello,

#1 a) Wondering if there is an easy way to make the character slide while on ice material
    b) and get boost while on a speed / boost material

#2 Thanks for the Unet tutorial on youtube, it answered a lot of questions regarding making it multiplayer. Would the spell casting motion pack be compatible with turning it into Mirror / Fishnet multiplayer? (They are based on Unet)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  3. crazymonkey7787

crazymonkey7787

Hello, quick question, hopefully.

I'm using the interaction system to pick up shot arrows. Before I pick up the shot arrow I check to see if I have room in the inventory using a max quantity variable I added and update the UI for my current amount of arrows. Besides the max quantity most of the logic is on the arrow core script. I would like to use a reactor instead but when I use 300, interaction, the script is not called on the reactor.

Thanks.

4. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

I wonder if @Tryz is still around?

5. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

No posts from @Tryz since May, and hardly any from @TeagansDad either. Hope they're OK, and just busy doing other things. Looks like we're on our own. :(

Recon03 likes this.
  6. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

I hope Tryz is just busy and not abandoning the assets. They are so much better than the others by leaps and bounds. It would be nice to see the AI solution and climbing be completed but somehow I feel that will not be the case.

mandisaw and Recon03 like this.
  7. Recon03

Recon03

Is this the whole thing?? I know Tim and Teagan are not around, I still use Motion Controller mostly for prototyping and letting the kids use . but, I made my fair share of climbing mechanics. Maybe it may be a decent idea to start something up for Motion controller? what do you guys think. we could all share it some where ones we know that own it? not motion controller itself, but just the updated, climbing, that needs to be done? thoughts?

I don't have alot of free time, but we could consider, setting up a GIT or something for custom work, to add to free climb or something.

8. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

That's all I've got so far. I needed a solution for tilted ladders, and this provided it. I haven't tried to expand it into a more full featured climbing system, but if the code I posted inspires others to take it further, they're welcome to do so. And remember that Tim posted a free alpha version of his own climbing system before the new job, so there's another source to draw from.

9. Recon03

Recon03

Ya, I have like I said I made my own controller, climbing all together, I suggested this, just to help out those that may still use this controller. My kids use it to play around once in awhile, and I download for a fast prototype other wise, I don't use much myself.

10. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

The last email that I received from Tim was in May 2021. I have tried e-mail him a couple of times since then, but haven't had a response. He did answer one question on the ootii.com forum back in November, so he is still around. I'm assuming that he's just extremely busy.

2021 was an extraordinarily difficult year for me. My mother passed away in March due to complications from her Parkinson's, and we had to say goodbye to our 16 year old dog a few weeks later. Then add all of the additional stressors from the COVID situation (including a few months of partial home schooling, which was a nightmare for all of us) on top of that, and I just sort of lost the interest and motivation to do much Unity related work.

I was trying to keep up with bug fixes and enhancements to the ootii suite of assets, but while I have access to the source repository, I can't push out any updates to the Asset Store. I am sure there are ways that I could publish updates and have them applied to users' existing source code, but that all sounds like too much of a headache for me to deal with and support on a regular basis.

I do still try and have a quick look in here once in a while to see if there are any questions that I can answer. Did kind of forget about it as we got into the business of the holiday season though.

Dropping in here and writing a bit is actually sparking a little interest in returning to Unity. I'll have to see if that turns into anything.

saskenergy, ledshok, mandisaw and 6 others like this.
  11. Recon03

Recon03

Sorry to hear that, its been a rough last 2 years .. We lost our 16 year old dog as well , my aunt/Uncle, in the same month. Lost a few friends as well. Alot more deaths been happening due to non covid, to alot of people in the last 2 years. I hear this alot from friends, they lost alot of people lately...

It adds to the stress of everything else... Losing a pet sucks, ours had a heart attack, and passed... Its like losing a child. ( we lost our 2nd other dog, she was 17 in 2019. as well. So its like never ending. They both where older dogs.

I talk to Tim once, he has been super busy, (Which I can relate to as well..) My kids are using Unity to learn, since they been home for 2 years from lock downs in Michigan. So, I been home schooling so I had to ask Tim a question. He did reply...

By the sounds of it, sounds like MC, will not get updated anymore, but he will still support it when he can. I personally don't use MC anymore myself anyways, kids do, but teaching them to make there own controller. I don't use Unity as much since I retired, I develop mostly in Unreal. Kids will be moving over there soon as well. But MC served a good purpose while I would prototype..

knobby67 likes this.
  12. mandisaw

mandisaw

It's a good suite, and you did yeoman's work "helping out" - really being more like a junior-partner. Maybe if Tim is so inclined, you can work out something where the major updates are frozen, but you are empowered to push bug-fixes & share a support email. Unity has loads of team-related resources, and asset-creator groups, I'm sure their Store team can help ease any pain-points.

I don't even have enough space here to get into all the changes & losses that have hit me & mine since Covid, but suffice to say that it's been a whirlwind for us all - a common touchstone on the order of a world-war. I think some delays & burnout are to be expected, and patience - for ourselves and others! - is in order.

You got a "warm fuzzy feeling", and gave us a much-needed check-in. I'd say that already counts :)

dmenefee likes this.
  13. Ether141

Ether141

Hello all.

I got one question. When my controller collides with mesh collider, game starts lagging, until player leaves collision. Is it normal behaviour, or there is something bad with my setup or something? Thanks.

14. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @Ether141 ,

That's not normal, but the complexity of your mesh collider can definitely impact performance. I've had people try to use 1M poly meshes for colliders and Unity doesn't handle that well. Same with concave meshes.

If you want to email tim@ootii.com your collider, I can take a look.

Thanks,
    Tim

TeagansDad likes this.
  15. Ether141

Ether141

Nah, my meshes have way less poly. For example, mesh of small house, has ~1500 poly and when I run into a wall or walk through a door, fps drops and game starts lagging. It even happens on the test scene.

16. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

@Tryz great to see you are back

Tryz likes this.
  17. Tryz

Tryz

Definitely not normal. Do you mean my unmodified test scene that comes with the asset? It hasn't changed in a long time... so, I don't think it's the asset.

I think there's something off with your collider. If you want to email tim@ootii.com your collider, I can take a look.

18. Ether141

Ether141

I don't think it's the collider's fault, as the same thing happens with literally every model I use.

19. Tryz

Tryz

If you want to email tim@ootii.com your collider, I can take a look.

Instead of us going back and forth here, just send an email with your collider and your Unity Invoice ID. It's just odd you're having problems and other people aren't. The asset has been out of a long time.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  20. Ether141

Ether141

I was able to solve my problem. I'm ashamed to admit, but the person dealing with the models imported them into the Unity with a scale over 100. After changing the mesh scale to 1, everything is back to normal. As you can see it is definitely not the fault of asset but the stupidity of my modeler... Maybe someone will make a similar mistake someday and save some time thanks to me. Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    Tryz likes this.
  21. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Good to hear you fixed it. As a follow-up note, TPMC can sometimes have issues with very large colliders, high poly colliders, or colliders with bad geometry. This can not just slow the game down, but completely crash it in extreme cases. I've found the Mesh Partitioner (Component>ootii>Mesh Partitioner) to be very useful when dealing with troublesome colliders. It can pre-parse them when starting the game, to prevent delays the first time you run into them, and also identify colliders with unacceptably high parse times, so you can rework them to give better performance. Since I use a lot of mesh colliders, and not all can be simplified convex versions, this tool has saved me more times than I can count. :)

22. mohdafzal20299

mohdafzal20299

Hi @Tryz , I have this issue with the ootii. I am unable to get the animations here. I tried looking for them on mixamo.com but can not find the ybot ones, I am stuck here, please help ASAP.

Attached Files:

23. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @mohdafzal20299 ,

I just did it and was able to download the Mixamo animations without an issue. I'm guessing you missed step #2 in the documentation where you select the YBot character on Mixamo.com.

Follow the documentation or this setup video and it will work for you too.

mohdafzal20299 likes this.
  24. w409544041

w409544041

Hi,long time no update,is there a update plan for MotionController?

25. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

Update & also an AI solution of MC would be great, other AI packages are pretty basic.

26. Tryz

Tryz

No updates I want to talk about yet. The assets have been running for a while and have proven to be pretty solid.

TeagansDad and khushalkhan like this.
  27. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

What about AI? Any plan for that.. Also there should be a discord community so that we can share ootii assets integration with other assets & also provide support to each other.

w409544041 likes this.
  28. Tryz

Tryz

I am working on an AI solutions (think goal-driven behaviors), but I haven't started turning it into an asset yet. It's also super slow going because of work and family life. Unfortunately, I can't commit to anything when I've only got a couple hours a week.

There is a Discord channel, but it's pretty quiet. You can get to it here:
    https://discord.gg/GyqyGdms

TeagansDad, ledshok and khushalkhan like this.
  29. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

30. mohdafzal20299

mohdafzal20299

Hi @Tryz, Your last video helped me get the animations but there is one slight issue, I am unable to get projectiles when I am spellcasting. The animation works but there is no vfx or particle system and I am not getting any error as well.

31. Falondrian

Falondrian

32. BroVodo

BroVodo

I am using the shooter pack (SHMP_NPC_Controller component) with puppetmaster (OotiiPuppet component). After a collision where the character gets up from prone, it gets stuck in the animator controller's Start state rather than going into BasicWalkRunPivot and then to the Rifle BlendTree. The character then continues to move while stuck in the first frame of the default idle motion of the Start state.

What am I missing? How would I go about debugging this, where to place breakpionts and check variable values?

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  33. BroVodo

BroVodo

Fixed it by adding this function to SHMP_NPC_Controller then calling it from the OnRegainBalance event on the character's BehaviourPuppet. Is there a better way to do this?
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public void SetToRifleStance()
    3. {
    4.     mMotionController.SetAnimatorMotionPhase(0,3050,500,1,true);
    5. }

34. BroVodo

BroVodo

What AI packages do you want to use?

35. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

I switch to node canvas now after watching tim video about it, emerald ai is good for prototyping animals or zombies i removed that from project, there was a package for shooter ai tactical ai that was great for shooting but now that deprecated too

BroVodo likes this.
  36. BroVodo

BroVodo

What do you want the AI to do?

37. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

you can watch the video of samurai vengence 2, they have basic ai which become difficult with levels.

38. magique

magique

khushalkhan and BroVodo like this.
  39. BroVodo

BroVodo

I wasn't able to see if the AI was changing as the player progressed in that example. It seems like there's new enemies that are tougher and have different attacks than before, but there doesn't seem to be any improvements in tactics.

The states or behaviours for these characters could be [Moving to attack position][Waiting to attack][Attacking][Defending][Taking damage][Dying].

Attack position, moment of attack, type of attack, moment of defending would all be things AI could control and coordinate to its advantage against the player.

There's a "Soldier Chase" scene in the examples package for Node Canvas from the Paradox Notion website. That could be used as a base for a game like SV2.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    khushalkhan likes this.
  40. Falondrian

Falondrian

@TeagansDad Do you happen to have the kubold anim motions and can you share them? Unfortunately the vault is offline for some weeks now.

khushalkhan and BroVodo like this.
  41. BroVodo

BroVodo

I've found them on a backup, do you still need them?

42. Falondrian

Falondrian

Yes please, that would be great!

43. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

Are there any videos of climbing, walking on thin ledges, or jumping over obstacles for the Motion Controller asset? There are some screenshots, but I haven't been able to track down any videos of this in action.

44. BroVodo

BroVodo

This video shows balance-walking on a thin beam, vaulting over an obstacle, and grabbing onto ledges and pulling up.

45. BroVodo

BroVodo

NodeCanvas1.png
    I'm having a problem in Node Canvas using the SendAttack node from ootii. The first attack plays as it should but after that, the Sequencer node branch gets stuck on the SendAttack node and looks like it is firing once per update. Any ideas on how to fire on bullet every x seconds or how to sustain short bursts of automatic fire?

Edit - Found out how to get it (sort of) working.
    NodeCanvas2.png

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  46. BroVodo

BroVodo

And here's the new roadblock...
    Merely disabling the automatic fire of the gun core causes Node Canvas to stall at the NavigateTo node.

Switched the scope to enabled, it worked but was auto firing or firing single shots so fast it was indistinguishable from full auto. Switched back to full auto, the NavigateTo node stopped working again.

Manually set the Combatant target, it works again.

Merely enabling and disabling the gun scope causes NavigateTo node to get stuck, until IsAutomatic is set to false. Why are these systems intertwined in such a bizarre manner? Is the custom UI screwing things up?

Edit:
    Looks like a bug in 2020.3.34, update to .37 seems to fix many of the problems. Congrats to Unity for again timing their bugs to the systems I'm working on specifically. Satan would be proud of the sisyphean torment you inflict.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    FargleBargle likes this.
  47. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

The perfect words for something we've all experienced at one time or another. I feel your pain. :rolleyes:

hopeful and BroVodo like this.
  48. BroVodo

BroVodo

Cheers man! Not really aiming at anyone, it's just an annoying coincidence.

While I'm here, here's another problem that I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered:

Pathfinding-03a.png

Using NavigateTo node in Behaviour Designer with Unity Navmesh, trying to use root motion instead of transform and getting stuck on corners and the edges of ramps.

And just as I'm about to post this after hours of messing with Navmesh variables, I change from WalkRunPivot to WalkRunStrafe and that works now.

[Edit]
    Spoke too soon, it's completely random. Play once, it gets stuck the tenth time the navmesh path skirts too close to a sharp corner. Play it the next time, it's the first sharp corner. Then the third, etc. Anyone know of a fix? Anyone know what the heck is happening? Maybe a floating point error? Is there a way to prevent the path from accidentally leading the character off the navmesh when it goes to close to the corner?

[Edit]
    Today, the character won't even climb, it auto traverses offmesh links. Nothing has changed, closed the project yesterday it was climbing as expected, opened it today, goofy three meter jumps. Developing in Unity seems to be zero steps forward, two steps back.

[Edit]
    Checking and unchecking AutoTraverseOffmeshLinks or AutoRepath causes all offmesh links to fail. Tested in a clean project.

[Edit]
    As usual once posted here, the problem directly above disappeared for now, from the clean project, but remains in the actual project I'm working on. Still won't climb though.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  49. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but check out page 18 of the Actor Controller user guide. It covers why players might get stuck on what seem like tiny slopes - especially on the edges of ramps. If for instance your player has a slope limit of 60 degrees, and the ramp is only 10 degrees, he should theoretically be able to climb it - unless the slope detection ray sees the edge of the ramp instead of the ramp itself, and decides it's too steep. In some cases, it's better to have a 90 degree step that AC recognizes as a step, than a 10 degree slope with a tiny 75 degree strip on its edge.

BroVodo likes this.
  50. BroVodo

BroVodo

Cheers FB, that does seem to be a problem that occurs occasionally when I run the demo_Live scene for a while and it doesn't get caught on other edges.

I've got another roadblock that maybe someone has encountered before -

Using Behavior Designer I get a character to shoot and kill an enemy using the Send Combat Message node.
    Once the enemy is dead the character resumes its demo_Live behaviors. The behavior tree works fine but once it gets to the NavigateTo node the character animates the movement but stays in the same spot, not going anywhere.