Search Unity

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

@TeagansDad Thanks! If it matters, I'm using jump with control but without momentum, an impulse of around 20, Collision on but pushback off in the actor controller, a body capsule that uses Unity colliders and a foot sphere that does not. I've tried changing some of these things but most don't make a difference.

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

I'm dropping by to give @TeagansDad a medal of GOTY thread contributor, the work he is doing is great.

mandisaw, drcfrx, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  3. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

As soon as the character initially moves, I get a huge spike on the profiler with scripts. This spike only happens the first time I move. There must be something loaded at runtime. Why is this happening?

4. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I have a layer called Physics Objects. I assume this layer was created by the Motion Controller.

Should I add the floor to this layer?

I already figured out that stairs should be added to this layer. What other objects should I add to this layer?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  5. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@LumoKvin - I added the Physics Objects layer to use for rigidbody objects that respond to force being applied. We want to let Unity's physics system handle rigidbody collisions, rather than the Actor Controller, so the player needs to be set up as a kinematic rigidbody (the Wizard does this) and the Physics Objects layer is not part of the AC's collision layer mask.

In the QuickStart demo scene, there are a few crates set up as physics objects as an example.

I would not place stairs on that layer, as they don't respond to applied force and you generally want characters to collide with them. What made you decide that stairs should be on that layer.

The documentation definitely needs updating, as it doesn't discuss the Character Wizard or any of the conventions that I established when building the Wizard.

I don't know. ;) I'm guessing that maybe there is some deferred initialization happening. Are you profiling in the Editor?

Subliminum likes this.
  6. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I put a mesh collider on the stairs. Then I was getting popping. When I put the stairs on the Physics Objects layer, the character went up the stairs smoothly (no popping). I have since added an invisible ramp for the stairs and now I can put the stairs on any layer without issues.

What is the Physics Objects layer for? It's for things that move around and collide, such as bullets or throw-able objects?
    I am profiling on mobile.

7. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I try to use ramp colliders for stairs whenever I can. Motion Controller can certainly handle stairs, but it always looks a bit jerky, since the camera jumps at each step. I suppose you could add more damping to the camera movement, but I prefer to just use ramps.
    Probably more for crates, and other non-static props that are expected to move when the player runs into them. This is a nice addition. I previously had to write a script that used raycasts to detect collisions with rigid bodies, and apply force to them, since it didn't seem to happen very reliably otherwise.

8. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I have a problem with the character going partly through the wall. I widened the box collider on the wall, but that doesn't help when I have a mesh collider on something. Also, the feet go through while running towards a wall.

Things I have tried:
    • I increased the radius on the body capsule, but that made the collider huge compared to the size of the character.
    • I enabled pushback, but the feet still go through a tiny bit.
    What is the best way to solve this problem?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  9. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

What is a form condition?

Capture.PNG

10. Subliminum

Subliminum

mandisaw likes this.
  11. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I've had a lot of issues like this with mesh colliders since installing Unity 2019. I'm wondering if they changed something to do with collider physics. What helped for me was to check the Generate Colliders box when importing models that would be using mesh colliders, rather than adding them in the editor afterwards. Not sure why they'd give different results, but they did. Either that, or replace them with primitive based colliders. If you're having this problem with primitives as well, I don't know what it could be.

If the main problem is your feet going through the wall, remember that they might extend outside the player's capsule collider when he walks. Adding additional colliders to your foot and arm bones might help, without making the main body capsule too fat to get through doors.

12. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

13. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I am having a problem with the character walking really funny. It looks like he is walking like a penguin.
    • Turn off start and stop transitions.
    • The character does not move until the joystick is moved to about 20% of the start position. Move the joystick to about 21-22% to get the character moving.
    • Back it off to about 10%.
    How can I fix this? What do you recommend?

14. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

What is smooth time? I can't find anything in the documentation.

Capture.PNG

15. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

It's not in the manual, but if you mouse over most of the Motion Controller settings, you'll see pop-up tips explaining what they do:

SmoothTime.png

Ootii is really good about providing help on all of their settings, and you'll see this in all of their products. :)

I've seen this happen occasionally after certain animation transitions, and when it did, it didn't seem to matter what I did with the controller stick. My solution is to hit the Jump button, which seems to snap him out of it - not ideal, but it gets me back in the game at least. I'd never seen a repeatable way of triggering it until you posted your procedure. About all I can suggest in your case is to keep your stick above your player's stall speed. Either that, or replace the default walk animations and motions with versions that allow slower walk speeds.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  16. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

Maybe in the inputSource I will do something like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (lValue > -0.25f && lValue < 0.25f)
    2. {
    3.      return 0f;
    4. }
    Maybe, if there is a way to find the line of code causing this problem in the Motion Controller, I could implement a better solution.

17. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

You do have a dead zone setting in the Unity joystick axis input settings, so you should be able to do what you've shown without diving into Motion Controller code at all.

Joystick_SettingsJPG.JPG

I'm not sure if that will completely solve the issue, or just reduce it though. I think this is like driving a car with a manual transmission. You need to learn to apply enough gas not to stall the engine when you release the clutch, or you'll look like an idiot driving your mom's Gremlin past your high school when they get out (may or may not be based on a true story ;)).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  18. Subliminum

Subliminum

I dont have a joystick to test your issue, but i've found that replacing the idlePose(single frame) animation in the blend trees with a normal idle animation will improve blended movement considerably with Input <=0.5. Could be worth testing if you're finding the blend tree is causing the issue after transitions.

19. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

The navmesh driver doesn't seem to be working. The character moves without animations. Everything works normally while using the keyboard or mobile controls. Here is an example - https://imgur.com/a/65Q1ojD

How can I troubleshoot this?

This code works well without the navmesh:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. mMotionController.SetTargetPosition(target.transform.position, 1f);

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  20. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

Thanks for the tip. I will try to figure out what this means when I get some time. I appreciate the help.

21. Subliminum

Subliminum

Is the Actor Controller set to Use Transform?

22. Mlackey

Mlackey

How would I go about pausing the game character's movement and refocusing the cursor to a separate UI menu. I am trying to pause the Motion Controller and all input by it to access a UI Menu Screen when I press ESC.

Looking to do this for both an xbox controller and mouse/keyboard. Need to allow users to be able to edit their game settings. I get the menu to appear but I can't interact with it.

23. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

No, I am not using it. Is that the problem?

Capture.PNG

24. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

For this part, I think you could just disable the Motion Controller component attached to the character.

25. Mlackey

Mlackey

That's what I'm assuming but need to figure out how to interact with a UI using the mouse w/o going into the focus on the player.

26. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

You can try something like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using com.ootii.Actors;
    4. using com.ootii.Actors.AnimationControllers;
    6. public class MyClass : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     public GameObject myPlayer; // Player GameObject containing Motion Controller
    9.     private ActorController AC; // Actor Controller script
    10.     private MotionController MC; // Motion Controller script
    12.     public void Update()
    13.     {
    14.         if (Input.GetButtonDown("UI"))
    15.         {
    16.                 StartCoroutine(ShowUI());
    17.         }
    18.     }
    20.     public IEnumerator ShowUI()
    21.     {
    22.         MC = myPlayer.GetComponent("MotionController") as MotionController;
    23.         MC.ActivateMotion("Idle", 0); // Activate Idle motion
    24.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(1.0f); // motion activation delay
    25.         AC = myPlayer.GetComponent("ActorController") as ActorController;
    26.         AC.enabled = false; // Turn off AC while displaying UI
    27.         (UI display code here)
    28.     }
    29. }

Since I'm not sure how you're implementing your UI, you'll probably need to adapt this if you're using OnGUI, but the MC & AC snippets should work if placed appropriately in your own script. When done with the UI, you'll also need to back out of this by enabling the Actor Controller again. Since the Motion Controller is still active in this example, and merely in an Idle state, once the Actor Controller resumes, it should switch to whatever motion is appropriate on its own.

Since all you really seem to want to do is disable player inputs while the UI is displayed, a simpler approach would be to just disable the Input Controller game object.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Subliminum and Mlackey like this.
  27. Mlackey

Mlackey

Your code was help with linking my UI and ootii, at the moment I now have ootii pausing the character when ESC is pressed and the UI menu to show up, I've made it so that the character resumes when ESC is pressed again and the UI menu hides.

The cursor no longer rotates the character when in menu, which is what I wanted.

Now, I still have the issue where I can't interact with my UI and if I should click, the cursor focuses back on the character. If I attempt to press anyone on the screen, it refocuses on the character and I'm forced to press ESC again. I know I can control the cursor but the cursor already hides/shows itself when ESC is pressed (it will hide if I click the screen though).

My UI is on a separate layer and is properly setup, it does work in scenes where ootii is not present. Interactions, button presses, etc. In-game with ootii however, I lose all functionality and it seems there is something preventing that UI interaction and I've become stumped.

28. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

How can I get the player to turn towards an object?

I tried this but it seems to do nothing.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var step = rotateSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
    2. player.transform.rotation = Quaternion.RotateTowards(player.transform.rotation, target.transform.rotation, step);

29. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I am using 3rd person follow camera motor. OnTriggerEnter, I want the camera to smoothly rotate until it is facing the back of the character.

Here is an example of what I want to happen. https://imgur.com/a/IWBkpRg

In the example, I am using the mouse to move the camera. How can I make this happen automatically?

30. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I'm not sure what to do about UI focus issues after disabling the Actor Controller, other than try my second suggestion above and disable the Input Controller object as well. It's the only other Motion Controller related thing in the scene that I can think of that might be stealing the mouse focus.

You need to use the Actor Controller to rotate the player, instead of rotating his transform directly. Otherwise, it will fight you. In the code I posted above, once you've populated the AC variable, you can say "AC.SetRotation...", or "AC.SetPosition...", or use several other built-in Actor Controller methods to rotate or move the player. I'd suggest looking through the Actor Controller user guide for examples of how to do some of these things:
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/ActorController/ACGuide.pdf

Here is an example of a script I use to switch camera motors when I enter a collider. I use it to switch to a tighter shot when in confined areas. You may need to adapt it a bit for your specific needs, but the basic method of switching camera motors should still apply.

Code (CSharp):
    1. // This script finds an Ootii Camera Controller rig tagged as "CamRig" and activates a camera motor
    2. // called "Fixed On" when a player tagged as "Player" enters a trigger collider containing the script
    3. // and a kinematic rigid body. When the player leaves the trigger, a camera motor called "Fixed Off"
    4. // is activated, to restore the original view.
    6. using UnityEngine;
    7. using System.Collections;
    8. using com.ootii.Cameras;
    10. public class TriggeredCloseup : MonoBehaviour {
    12.     private GameObject camRig; // The camera rig containing the Camera Controller script
    13.     private bool locked = false; //Locks mode when triggered to avoid duplicate trigger actions
    15.     //Script initialization
    16.     void Start () {
    17.         StartCoroutine("GetCamera"); //Find Camera Rig
    18.     }
    20.     //Find Camera Rig
    21.     IEnumerator GetCamera() {
    22.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(2f);
    23.         camRig = GameObject.FindWithTag("CamRig"); // Get Camera Rig with tag "CamRig"
    24.         if (camRig == null){
    25.             Debug.Log ("No Camera Rig has been found by the Triggered Closeup script. It must have the tag 'CamRig'.");
    26.         }
    27.     }
    29.     void OnTriggerEnter (Collider other) {
    30.         if (other.tag == "Player" && !locked) {
    31.             locked = true;
    32.             Debug.Log ("Player has entered Closeup trigger.");
    33.             CameraController lController = camRig.GetComponent<CameraController>();
    34.             TransitionMotor lTransMotor = lController.GetMotor<TransitionMotor>("Fixed On");
    35.             lController.ActivateMotor(lTransMotor);
    36.         }
    37.     }
    39.     void OnTriggerStay (Collider other) {
    40.         if (other.tag == "Player" && !locked) {
    41.             locked = true;
    42.         }
    43.     }
    45.     void OnTriggerExit (Collider other) {
    46.         if (other.tag == "Player" && locked) {
    47.             Debug.Log ("Player has left Closeup trigger.");
    48.             CameraController lController = camRig.GetComponent<CameraController>();
    49.             TransitionMotor lTransMotor = lController.GetMotor<TransitionMotor>("Fixed Off");
    50.             lController.ActivateMotor(lTransMotor);
    51.             locked = false;
    52.         }
    53.     }
    54. }

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Mlackey likes this.
  31. Mlackey

Mlackey

Figured it out, for anyone else having this issue you need to find your Game Core game object, under Game Core (Script), find the Cursor Options and set "Is Cursor Visible" to True.

When you "Pause" the game, disable Motor Controller and set Game Core Cursor Visibility to true to be able to interact with your menu. When you unpause, enable the Motor Controller and set Game Core Cursor Visibility to false.

Can't believe I overlooked that.

https://i.imgur.com/Kfu6WDI.png

Subliminum likes this.
  32. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Same here. Since I've set my cursor to be visible all the time, I completely forgot about the possibility that it wouldn't be. Good that you found it. :)

Mlackey likes this.
  33. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

When I start the game, there are 5 colliders added to the player. This is causing triggers to be triggered 5 times.
    How can I make sure that triggers are only triggered once?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  34. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

35. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I usually add a boolean to trigger scripts, that detects when they first get tripped, and locks out additional triggers for a cool-down period, to allow trigger actions to complete, or until the player has left the trigger. The specifics depend on what the trigger is for, but you normally don't need or want multiple trigger events, so some kind of lockout mechanism is generally a good idea.

36. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I have two characters that have different heights. On both of them, the Actor Controller has a default height of 1.8

Capture2.PNG
    Capture.PNG

How can I find the correct height of the characters so that I enter the correct height into the Actor Controller?

37. Subliminum

Subliminum

Zero out your characters, create a plane and put that at the desired character height, check the y coord

38. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

You've been asking a lot of questions here recently, and it seems like every time we answer one, you ask two more. Many of the answers you seek are in the manual I pointed you to in an earlier post. I think you'd get your answers quicker by simply looking for them there, rather than waiting for one of us to find time to look them up and get back to you: http://www.ootii.com/Unity/ActorController/ACGuide.pdf

Actor Controller and the rest of ootii's products are very well documented. Besides the manuals, you can find more information on their documentation site: https://ootiigames.com/?page_id=30, as well as some excellent tutorial videos on their YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTT6UXR55Q6X472rjCsF9jQ.

Tim has put a lot of effort into this documentation, and is way better at explaining how his products work than most of us might be. We can keep trying to answer your questions one at a time, but that won't give you as complete a picture of how these packages work as going through the manuals and tutorials will.

magique and Subliminum like this.
  39. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

Sorry to bother you. I understand your point. Before I ask a question, I search the AC guide, the MC guide, as well as the forum thread to see if someone had a similar issue. I also do lots of experimenting to try and figure it out myself.

I assume that I ask the same amount of questions as everyone else, but it seems like more because right now I am focusing a lot of time and energy on player movement.

Tim has done a great job with his videos. I have watched almost all of them. The code is well documented and the guides are good quality. Besides being out of date, there is no issue there.

Also, there is no obligation to help if it is a burden on you. Thanks for your time and I appreciate the help you have offered thus far. Eventually, once I get things running smoothly, I will disappear.

PS. Maybe, there could be some type of paid support for people like me, who are inexperienced with Unity..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Subliminum and magique like this.
  40. Subliminum

Subliminum

Ideally, you can pass on the tips and tricks you learn to other users who are looking for help down the line , paid support is an interesting idea but likely wont ever be possible due to the nuanced trickery of business around the globe. If you are looking for someone to provide a quoted contract to assist you specifically with your project, I would be happy to chat to you about it on the Ootii Discord.

Otherwise, the people who check in here are happy with minor issues in their free time and certainly appreciate when people take the time to thank them like this :)

All the best!

Subliminum.

41. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I was thinking about this a lot. I had an idea. I might just go to Upwork and hire someone, who could help me over Skype. I could share my screen with them so they could literally walk me through issues step by step.

Also, I wonder if the Unity Asset Store would allow someone to sell a one hour consultation asset.

I didn't want to post millions of thank yous because it would fill the thread with clutter. Believe me, I am so grateful!

Subliminum likes this.
  42. magique

magique

@Tryz I noticed that my MC player gets generated with lots of additional abilities such as Cower, Frozen, Stunned, Sleep, Knockback, etc. However, I cannot find any animator state machines for any of these items. I checked the documentation but didn't see any mention of these abilities. How exactly are they supposed to work?

43. wm-VR

wm-VR

Hi! I am using BehaviourDesigner in conjunction with your integration pack and it works fine!
    But I haven't found a solution to stop the NPC from walking, fire a SimpleMotion (like waving to the Player) and after that continue his path.

When I use the task "oottii->Activate Motion" it plays the desired animation but doesn't get back to locomotion instead my NPC just freeze. It's not sending back any Failure or Success in order to continue the behavior tree. In your tutorial videos you never use this task for demonstration purpose so I am a litte bit in the dark in terms of using this task correctly.

44. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Those states should ball be inside "Utilities-SM"

Right now, those motions are only used by the Spellcasting Motion Pack to apply various conditions.

I might have missed putting a conditional around those utility motions in the Character Wizard to only set them up if SCMP is installed.

45. magique

magique

Ah, I see. That makes sense now. I have Spellcasting pack, but I didn't add that to this character.

46. daniel5383

daniel5383

I have an issue im running into while using ootiis motion controller. The game I am making has a mermaid as the main character and she is swimming in an open ocean in 3d. The problem I ran into is I cannot get her to move on all axis. She only moves forwards backwards and side to side. I have tried to the swimming motion pack as well and I am having no luck. I wrote tim@ootii.com but haven't heard anything in a few days so I decided to come here to see if anyone can help.

47. Subliminum

Subliminum

The Ootii swimming demo will traverse on all axis, recheck the input controls. I'm guessing you mean to have your mermaid swim/animate in a freecam type style(swim directly in the desired direction, with character aligning to swim vector) instead of the default which allows for swimming in all directions but the mixamo animations are relatively static and the character will be ~upright while swimming most of the time.

48. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Yeah, by default the Swimming pack uses Q and E to move up or down when swimming. It's not really set up to give completely smooth 3-axis movement, primarily due to the limited Mixamo swimming animations.

49. timinal

timinal

Hi @Tryz,

I've bought the Shooter Motion pack a while ago and trying it out now but I have a few questions if the following things are changeable in the settings:

- Is it possible to setup that when you're in cover and you're near a corner to prevent the player from going out of cover automatically when pressing A or D (depending on which corner you are at of course)? (In other words block the player from going out of cover unless the take cover button is pressed)

- At the moment when you're aiming from cover the character is out of cover, would it be possible to set it up that when you release the aim button that the character will go straight back into cover?

- If I put an object on the Climb layer I can not take cover at that object anymore, is it possible to make an object both climbable and also a valid cover object?

50. daniel5383

daniel5383

I am not using any mixamo animations. I have my own idle and swimming animation. and yes that was what I was going for. I am completely ok with using the E and Q buttons to ascend and descend but they do nothing when I try to put on swimming motion pack. I had already took a look at the input controls and I cant understand what I am doing wrong. There is another third person controller that I tried out and it let me do it but I really just wanted ooti's motion controller to work. I prefer it over the other one. Is there something you can suggest to specifically look at for input controls