Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Censureret

Censureret

Hey guys i have a problem getting my character to climb a ladder i think ive done everything right but for some reason it fails:

upload_2019-10-7_23-0-41.png

The ladder is on a layer called Ladder which should be supported in the motion:

upload_2019-10-7_23-4-27.png

upload_2019-10-7_23-1-53.png

So i tried to debug the motion and for some reason the raycast seems to fail:

Code (CSharp):
    2.             if (!RaycastExt.SafeRaycast(lRayStart, lRayDirection, out mRaycastHitInfo, lRayDistance, _ClimbableLayers, mActorController._Transform))
    3.             {
    4.                 return false;
    5.             }
    Can anyone tell me what im missing?

Attached Files:

2. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@Censureret - This is a very basic question, but do you have a collider on the same object that is assigned to the Ladder layer?

3. blacksmith_co

blacksmith_co

Hey Tim, firstly thank you for a great character controller, we've tried a bunch of them on the assets store and found yours animated most smoothly, straight forward and organized.

As for the 'climb crouch' motion, we're trying to make sure our character end up on standing on whatever its climbing after it climbs up and we've used the 'To Top Velocity' which works great when climbing from left and from front. But when we try to climb from back or right it doesn't work because the X and Z values we set are positive. Is there a solution to this?

Cheers!

4. Bucee

Bucee

Seeing as Tryz isn't back yet and all the code editing permutations that I've tried have failed, should I just abandon trying to combine Rotate to Focus Target with SetTargetPosition? I'm time-limited and the alternate option is switching entirely over to a digital joystick control scheme instead.

5. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@Bucee - The Combatant Rotate to Focus Target isn't going to work with Navmesh movement, as you will need to manage how the NavmeshAgent controls the character's rotation.

I suggest that you go to the ootii Motion Vault and download the NodeCanvas integration package. There is a NavigateTo task included which has an option to maintain focus on a target. It is NOT a short or simple piece of code, but you should be able to adapt the logic for your own use.

TheMessyCoder likes this.
  6. Bucee

Bucee

Ah sorry I mistyped, what I was using was the Basic Walk Run Focus which doesn't use Navmesh, it works just fine out of the box for moving while rotating towards a point or the mouse but when using SetTargetPosition (which also doesn't use Navmesh IIRC) it just breaks. Best I could get was having the player click on a location and have him walk in a half-circle to get there while rotating towards wherever the mouse was.

Also, is it legal for me to download the NodeCanvas package from the ootii site? I couldn't help but notice it's 75$ on the Asset Store and I don't want to be dishonest.

7. christougher

christougher

Download all you like from the Ootii site. They are INTEGRATION packages only, basically what you need to get both assets to works nicely together, they do not contain pirated packages. Tim is an honest dude who despises piracy and would be the last one to pirate others' work.

rubble1 likes this.
  8. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

Just to add to that statement. You will need to purchase the actual node canvas package to use the integration. Otherwise placing it in your project will cause errors and you will not be able to run in play mode.

9. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

As @christougher posted, it's the integration package for NodeCanvas, rather than the NodeCanvas asset.

@KeithBrown is correct that you need to purchase NodeCanvas in order to use the integration package -- but I wasn't actually suggesting that you use the integration package in your project. My suggestion was to study the code in the NavigateTo task so that you can see an example of what you're trying to accomplish.

When you talked about automated movement and click-to-move, I assumed that this meant you were using a NavmeshAgent to move the player. But in the end the NavigateTo task is still a good example to study, as it's never actually using the NavmeshAgent to move or rotate the player. It uses the NMA to calculate a path and get the next waypoint, but all of the movement and rotation is handled by MotionController (and it just updates the NMA position directly to keep it in sync).

The task has a setting to force the character to rotate to face its target as it moves.

10. wm-VR

wm-VR

Hello! Great work you did with this tool!
    I have a simple question: Motion Controller in conjunction with Behaviour Designer (for NPCs) looks very slippery to me. The movements looks more like a rolling ball wrapped in an human animation and it's not usable for my client (our walk animations have a time gap between first step, gap, 2nd step.. so it looks like an iceskater no matter how fast or slow I set the speed). I bought your controller (as a non-coder) mainly to solve this problem and I see that there is a BD-integration as well. How can I setup your controller to make use of root-motion animations for NPCs controlled by BD?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  11. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

I believe you have to set the speed to 0 for it to use root motion. could be wrong but give it a try.

wm-VR likes this.
  12. wm-VR

wm-VR

Thanks!
    But no luck here.
    Setting the speed value to 0 in both, BD and NavMesh Agent leads to total stop of the NPC

13. IronHelmet

IronHelmet

Hi Folks, I'm on 2019.2f1 Just installed Motion Controller and the Camera Controller. We are prototyping a new game.

I have read the docs, but only quickly scanned this forum thread (its very large). Apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

I have some characters in the scene and they are working as expected, but now I am trying to add an NPC to the scene.

I am attempting to use a Nav Mesh Input Source to feed input to the Actor Controller / Motion Controller, however, it seems that my AI needs input from my Camera rig to be able to navigate. I'm doing something wrong and its no obvious how to set it up correctly.

Are there any docs or tutorials / videos I should read that explains how this should be set up?

I could go into more detail about what I have tried and what is going wrong, but I've tried a number of things and I think I'm just missing a small piece of the puzzle that some docs might help with.

Update:

I think I worked it out reading some former forum posts. I have the AI working correctly using a Walk Run Pivot. When I use the Walk Run Strafe the AI never turns to face anything, but I assume I need to have some code to get my AI to face its target and shoot somewhere.

14. magique

magique

This is an older video, but it gives you the basics of setting up an AI using NodeCanvas/Behavior Designer to drive it. MC doesn't have its own AI so you'll need something like NodeCanvas to really do anything significant unless you're writing the AI yourself.

15. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Setting the speed to 0 on the Basic Walk Run Pivot or Basic Walk Run Strafe motion enables root motion; if you set a float value it will override root motion and use the speed that you specify.

If you set the speed of the NavmeshAgent or the BD task to 0, the character should stop moving.

Do you have the Use Transform option checked on the character's Actor Controller? This setting makes it simpler to move an AI character using 3rd party AI packages, but I do find that the quality of the movement and animation suffers a bit. There is a NavigateTo task contained in the BD integration package on the ootii Motion Vault; are you using that to move the character, or are you using the BD Movement Pack?

16. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Do you have the Sword and Shield Motion Pack? The demo scene includes a simple scripted AI component that demonstrates a very basic way to accomplish this. If you're going for something more elaborate, you'll need to write your own AI code or use a 3rd party package like Behavior Designer or NodeCanvas. Of the two, NC has a better integration with Motion Controller.

17. wm-VR

wm-VR

Thanks for your input!

I bought your Controller, Behavior Designer and the additional Movment Pack to archive good results. But it seems I have to give up on Jump, Climb, Dropping features you have implemented when not using "ootii- Navigate to". Am I correct?

Another problem I run into is that my NPC is not switching the animation cycle from walk to run when I set a higher speed value in Behavior Designer. I followed your video tutorial step-by-step and also enabled "Default to run". When setting a higher speed the NPC speeds up within its default walk cycle instead of starting the run anim branch. I have tryed to chance the speed value inside the Nave Mesh Agent in Playmode as well but no luck. I am using the "Idle" and "walk-run-strafe" motions.

Sry to bother you with (probably) simple questions.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  18. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@-woelfchen- Just to clarify, I'm not the developer of these assets -- that would be @Tryz. I've been helping him out over the past year or so while he's been busy working for Nintendo.

Yes, at least for the time being. If you look at the Navigate To code, you'll see that it detects when the character is on an off-mesh link (used for climbing, jumping, etc) and creates a special driver for traversing it. The Movement Pack tasks won't do that.

I've experimented with building a component that attaches to the character to handle the enhanced movement of Navigate To (including the off-mesh links), but I never quite got it working correctly. I plan to try again sometime, but it won't be in the immediate future.

For the walk/run cycle stuff... Can you send me a small project with a scene set up to demonstrate this? Just zip it up and send me the link via a private message, and I'll have a look at it for you.

19. IronHelmet

IronHelmet

I am trying to switch between two playable characters.

I've found that when I try and set a motionControllers.CamerRig = null it won't actually clear it (I can see its still attached in the inspector.) The result is both characters rotate as the camera rotates.

I am doing the same with the input source, and that seems to be working fine.

I just don't seem to be able to clear the CameraRig. Any ideas?

------------- UPDATE----------

So I just had a quick look at the motion controller and I see that in the setter of the CamerRig, you only change the _CameraTransform if the value is not null. I think this is a bug.

I found I fixed my problem by also nulling out the camera transform.

Code (CSharp):
    1.         /// <summary>
    2.         /// Transform we used to understand the camera's position and orientation
    3.         /// </summary>
    4.         public Transform _CameraTransform = null;
    5.         public Transform CameraTransform
    6.         {
    7.             get { return _CameraTransform; }
    8.             set { _CameraTransform = value; }
    9.         }
    11.         /// <summary>
    12.         /// Camera rig that may be in use. Typically, we extract this from the transform
    13.         /// </summary>
    14.         protected IBaseCameraRig mCameraRig = null;
    15.         public IBaseCameraRig CameraRig
    16.         {
    17.             get { return mCameraRig; }
    19.             set
    20.             {
    21.                 mCameraRig = value;
    22.                 if (mCameraRig != null)
    23.                 {
    24.                     _CameraTransform = mCameraRig.Transform;
    25.                 }
    26.             }
    27.         }

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  20. dmarot

dmarot

Has anyone at all got Ootii Mount points to work with Playmaker??? It will not work for me. I have tried every possible combination of value for the global variables. Yet no luck whatsoever, neither add skinned item or connect points will work. I am not sure why????? I have the parent mount point, child mount point, and child resource path references set to string in global variables. They are correctly labeled, and the game object & child game object are respectively referencing the correct game object. yet when I trigger the event, I see it fires, yet nothing happens. I feel like I have tried every iteration. When the objects get close they do not have a problem snapping together. Please, is there anyone out there who can possibly help me figure out what exactly am I missing???

21. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I am trying to understand how to create a custom mobile source input.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public virtual bool IsJustPressed(KeyCode rKey)
    2. {
    3.     if (!_IsEnabled) { return false; }
    4.     return WhatGoesHere.IsKeyPressedThisFrame(rKey); // <-------------
    5. }
    As an example, let's say I was using the MobileSingleStickControl from the Unity Standard Assets pack. It has an onscreen jump button. What would the fucntion return? How would I find that out? Can I see an example?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  22. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I have no use for the climb feature unless my character can grab onto the edge. Is there a way to fix this?

23. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

"Note that the Character Wizard is in beta. So, we’re looking for feedback and help testing." - https://ootiigames.com/?page_id=1240

I really like the concept of having a character wizard. When I try to resize the character window, it disappears and then it won't open again. Just for your info.

24. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Which Unity version are you using? Will the window open again after entering and exiting play mode, or after closing and reopening Unity?

I haven't seen this bug before... But I haven't done much with Unity for the past 3-4 months. I've got a big kitchen renovation going on at home right now, so I may not get a chance to look into it until next week. When I find the fix, I'll post it here, as I'm not sure when @Tryz and I will be able to coordinate an Asset Store update.

Thanks for letting me know about it.

25. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Have you tried adjusting the reach offsets on the climb motion(s)? You should be able to get it a bit closer.

26. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

Version: 2019.1.14f1

I tried entering play mode to see if it would reset something. I still can't open the window. When I close Unity and start it again, then I am able to open the wizard again.

27. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

Yes. I did try adjusting the reach offset, but I think that is just for the Z axis. I need the hands to go higher on the Y axis. The hands are close to the wall but they are too low.

28. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I've used with Wizard in 2019.1.x -- but I don't know if I've ever tried resizing the window in a 2019 version (I created it in a 2017 version and did the most extensive testing with that). I'll look into it as soon as I get the chance.

I'll take a closer look at that as well. Unless @Tryz is able to answer before I do.

29. magique

magique

I'm having an issue with one of the motions. I tried adding Sneak to my character and even with the ChangeStance input set up, the character never goes into sneak mode. So, I tried adding the Sneak (Old) motion and that one works fine. Any ideas why the new Sneak doesn't work?

[EDIT]
    I spoke too soon. I was able to get Sneak (old) to work in a demo scene with the Playerbot, but when added to my own character it just causes the character to freeze up and he's unable to move at all.

[EDIT 2]
    I analyzed the Animator and I found that the Sneak-v2-SM state was not there. I thought adding a motion would update the controller. Anyway, even when I add it manually, it's not working. I'm allowed to move now, but it isn't sneaking and seems to be inhibited and I can never get out of that state once I get into it.

[EDIT 3]
    I watch the Animator while I play the game and I see it in the Sneak blend tree and all the values look fine as I press forward and back. But the character just remains frozen in place. In the animation preview window, the player is frozen in sneak pose and in the game it's frozen in idle pose. However, if I just preview the sneak motions when not in run mode, they look fine for the player.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  30. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

"By wrapping your preferred input solution in an “input source”, the MC and motions themselves can use the input source to tap into your chosen input solution." - [URL]http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MotionController/MC2Guide.pdf[/URL]

I can't understand how to wrap an input solution. I have read the tutorial and watched the youtube video on the topic. This is from the tutorial:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public virtual bool IsJustPressed(KeyCode rKey)
    2. {
    3.     if (!_IsEnabled) { return false; }
    4.     return YourAwesomeInputSolution.IsKeyPressedThisFrame(rKey); // <--------
    5. }
    How do I know what to return? What should I write on line 4 of the method?

31. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I am still having a problem with the character not grabbing the edge of an obstacle. See these 3 images to see what I mean: https://imgur.com/a/UG8agPh

I think this is because of the size of my character. The character is 1.8 meters tall. I noticed that when I scale my Character to 2 meters tall, he grabs in the correct spot on the edge.

If I scale my character up by 1.14 to make him 2 meters tall, and then I change the body shapes field to 2 meters, will this be a problem? Or, is there a better way to handle this? See the following 2 images: https://imgur.com/a/kcQLypI

I am surprised that this isn't handled automatically. How can really small characters or giants climb anything?

32. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@LumoKvin - I'll have a look into these issues for you as soon as I get a chance. Right in the middle of a total kitchen rebuild, so that might not be until next week once we're waiting for the countertops to be cut and the installation scheduled.

Which input solution are you trying to wrap around?

33. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I was trying to wrap around the MobileSingleStickControl from the Unity Standard Assets. It is a mobile joystick. I am not a coder so this is very confusing for me.

Good luck with the kitchen. I hope it turns out nicely.

34. IronHelmet

IronHelmet

upload_2019-10-30_8-0-6.png

Are these warnings going to be fixed soon?

Also, why does a camera and motion controller need to make web requests?

35. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

That is scary

36. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

They don't need to make web requests. Those references are all in Editor-only code.

I used the open source Editor Coroutines library when building the Character Wizard, and some of that code has since become obsolete.

I fixed all of these warnings in the master source code few weeks ago... I need to coordinate with @Tryz to ensure everything is properly tested and then get an update pushed out to the Asset Store.

However, while they are annoying, they are just warnings and don't cause anything to not work. Hopefully we can get an update pushed out soon.

Tryz likes this.
  37. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

No it's not. ;) Editor mode tools may use web requests to check for updates, for example. This asset doesn't, but that's one valid use case.

Subliminum and Tryz like this.
  38. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I am getting an error from this code, but am I on the right track? Is this the proper way to wrap the input?

TestInputSource is a duplicate of UnityInputSource. Also, the button is on-screen UI button designed for mobile.

Capture.PNG

39. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I think you are right. I guess I am just being paranoid.

40. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

41. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on these issues.

When I set up a quick scene with the default character model used in the Motion Controller demos (the Mixamo Y-Bot), I see the same behaviour. And as you mentioned previously, the screenshot in the docs actually show the character grabbing a bit below the ledge. The Y-Bot is 1.8m tall, and by adjusting the Y value of the Start Edge reach offset property by 0.15, I am able to get the character to grab the edge at the correct location. This is on the Climb 1.8 Meters motion:

upload_2019-11-5_10-0-8.png

I don't think you should need to scale the character, and it's not uncommon to see odd behaviour when simply scaling a prefab up or down by a significant degree (not just with Motion Controller; I'm taking in general terms).

Climbing motions are among the trickier types to get right, as the animation needs to match the height of the obstacle being climbed on top of. If you're using a more free-form climbing motion where the character generally just repeats a climbing animation in response to player input, then you've got more flexibility. It could be very simple, such as the Climb Wall or Crouch Climb motions included with Motion Controller, or something much more complex and nuanced, such as what you seen in Breath of the Wild.

I tried scaling a character model down to 0.7 and bumped up the Start Edge reach offset Y value on Climb 1.8m, and that put the character's hands in the correct position. But the motion pulled the character into the object partway through the climb. But logically, a character around 1.2m tall wouldn't be able to just walk up to a 1.8m ledge and pull himself up; he would need to take a step back, jump into planting his foot partway up the wall, and then pull up (which is the Climb 2.5m animation).

For a really small character (say about 1m tall), you would actually want to "shift" each of the climbing motions down a category: Climb 2.5m for heights around 1.8m, Climb 1.8m for heights around 1m, Climb 1.0m for obstacles about 0.5m in height, etc.

This isn't perfect, but it's a good starting point for a character scaled to 0.7 (for the 1.8m Y-Bot model, that equals about 1.2m). I changed the threshold values for Climb 1.8m to match those normally used for the Climb 1m motion, and played around with the reach offset values until I got something that looked decent.

upload_2019-11-5_10-43-9.png

It could use more tweaking, but you get the idea. You can edit the Reach Offset values at runtime and you'll see the results on the net climb -- just don't forget to grab a screenshot of the values before you exit play mode. I did that several times at it was frustrating. (Side note: I'm already thinking about building a "Motion Preset" feature where the serialized fields for each motion also exist in a corresponding ScriptableObject so that it's easier to backup, restore, and share this type of data)

You'll need to figure out the best Reach Offset values based on the size of the character. The easiest way might be to just zero them all out and try out larger values (say 0.5 or 1.0 in magnitude) so that you get a better idea as to how they affect the animation.

42. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Why did you need to duplicate UnityInputSource? Just curious.

Yes, that is how you would wrap input. On the ootii Motion Vault there is a Rewired Input Source; you could download that and have a peek at the code for an example of wrapping input.

43. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

The current batch of updates are being tested now, and hopefully we can push out a release this weekend. Sorry for the delays.

44. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Yes... the Sneak_v2 defaults to the action alias "ChangeStance" while the old Sneak uses "Change Stance" :oops:

Newer setup code like the Character Wizard add the "Change Stance" input alias.

The input aliases for all of the Motion Packs have a space between each word, so I'll stick with that convention and change Sneak_v2 to default to "Change Stance" for consistency. Sorry about that oversight.

magique likes this.
  45. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

46. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I'll run some tests and see if there is any problem if we set _CameraTransform to null when the CameraRig is set to null (either through the CameraRig setter or through the public ExtractCameraRig method).

47. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Sorry for the delay in responding. Did you resolve this issue yet? If not, I'll have a look and see what needs to be done to get it working.

48. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I always make a duplicate when I am testing things out. I am now inheriting from the original UnityInputSource and I have deleted the duplicate.

49. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I had a question about the Jump motion. Currently, if you're walking forward running into a wall and try to jump, you just jump an inch off the ground and bump into the wall. In many games (FPS, Mario, etc) the character should instead jump to its normal full vertical height, essentially jumping straight up against the wall even though you're pressing the input forward. Is there any way to get this behavior?

50. TeagansDad

TeagansDad