Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. sparkwd

sparkwd

Nevermind, I figured out what you're saying @Subliminum... that's a huge help! I just need to figure out where all of these amounts are defined within the Motion Controller. For example,
    rMessage.Damage
    is returning 50 as the damage amount and I have no idea where that is. But this definitely points me in the right direction.. Thanks again.

Tryz likes this.
  2. Subliminum

Subliminum

Hey sparkwd,

Glad to hear you figured it out!

So the message comes from the damage applier in various ways, for example the Basic Melee Attack Motion will send the message to the IDamagable, it constructs its message based on how much damage the Sword Core/Weapon Core being used declares. It also has a bunch of handy information about the hit so you can spawn effects if you wish!

Subliminum.

Tryz and sparkwd like this.
  3. lambch0p

lambch0p

Hi,
    I'm working my through understanding the motion controller (which has made me life SO much easier), but am struggling to get a SimpleMotion that i've added to work properly.
    It's based on the Running Crawl animation from Mixamo, and i've imported it, added a SimpleMotion to the locomotion layer, and created a statemachine for the new motion, and finally assigned it an action alias of 'Fire1'.
    When I test the scene, and press (and hold) Fire1, the animation plays, but only once, when my intention is that the character keeps crawling.
    I've ticked the Exit on Release checkbox for the simple motion, and have clicked the 'loop time' checkbox on the animation, but it still only plays once. I suspect there's something wrong with my state machine (which just has a single transition from AnyState to the animation, based on the PhaseID) , but currently lack the knowledge to fix it. Can you throw me any pointers please?

crawl_simplemotion.PNG crawl_sm.PNG crawl_transition.PNG
    Thanks
    Mick

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  4. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@lambch0p - What are the transition conditions from Crawl to IdlePose? If Has Exit Time is checked on the transition out of Crawl, then it will transition to IdlePose when the animation clip finishes playing.

However, this probably isn't the sort of thing that Simple Motion is really intended for. You might have better luck implementing your crawling as an additional motion form on Basic Walk Run Pivot instead. Well, that assumes that you want to allow the player to still control the character and camera during the crawl. If it's more of an interaction sort of thing, then a Simple Motion might do the trick -- say the character walks up to a small opening in a wall, a "Press A to Crawl" prompt appears, and when the player presses A the character drops into a crawl, goes through the opening, and then stands up.

In general, if the motion will involve controlling the movement of the character, then you probably want to either build a custom motion or extend Basic Idle and either or both of Basic Walk Run Pivot and Basic Walk Run Strafe. In your case, you could designate a new Motion Form to use for when the character is crawling, extend the state machines for Basic Idle and Basic Walk Run x with the appropriate states and blend tress using the crawl animations and your Motion Form, and then add a simple component to the character to set the Motion Form when your "crawl" input is pressed. If you have any of the Archery, Sword & Shield, or Shooter Motion Packs, then you can use them as an example. At least for extending the animator state machines. The Motion Packs change the current Motion Form based on the weapon that is equipped, so you would need to set that based on player input.

5. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Just to expand upon the response that @Subliminum gave you:

Assuming that you're using colliders on your weapon prefabs to determine if a hit is successful (as opposed to the "field of attack" approach), then what happens is:
    1. The Basic Melee Attack motion responds to the "hit" animation event when it is raised from the animation clip
    2. The motion then calls ICombatant.QueryCombatTargets() to build a list of all possible Combat Targets
    3. If there are any valid targets, the motion then calls WeaponCore.TestImpact() to check if a hit was made
    4. For each successful hit, the Weapon Core calls WeaponCore.OnImpact(), which allocates a "new" Combat Message and fills out all of the appropriate fields. It then passes this message to the Actor Core on the attacking character, then changes the message ID and sends it to the Actor Core on the defending character/object.
    5. If there is no Actor Core on the defending object, WeaponCore.OnImpact() attempts to get a component that implements IDamageable, and then calls IDamageable.OnDamaged() to pass in the Combat Message. Whether it finds an IDamageable component or not, it then attempts to get a Rigidbody component and apply an impact force to it.

So if you want to be able to attack and apply damage to an object, then the simplest approach is probably to create a component that implements both IDamageable and ICombatant. It could also have a Basic Attributes component to track health, or you could just track health on the custom component. In a pinch, you could probably just add all of these to the object:
    1. Actor Core, with a Basic Damaged Reactor
    2. Basic Attributes, with a "Health" attribute
    3. Combatant

However, that seems like a heavy load just for a stationary target that you want to be able to damage. ICombatant itself is a rather heavy interface to implement just to be able to give Basic Melee Attack a valid target. I'll give this some more thought... Maybe I'm massively over-complicating it and missing something incredibly obvious that is far simpler. :)

sparkwd and Subliminum like this.
  6. Aceego

Aceego

Hi Ootii,
    i ran into a strange behaviour from my Enemy Model:

- I use Durham from the Asset Store
    - i have changed all the animations
    - i made a Slot an the Character Axe for a Weapon
    - i made an Weaponitem
    - change all the inventory
    - for AI i use your NodeCanvas integration with a simple Seek / Send Attack

when Durham comes near enough for an Attack Message, he gets in Idle animation. My Player Character can Attack him and he dies, but he did not Attack. Did i miss something for the Send Attack Message from Node Canvas?

Best regards (and Motion Controller was my First and best Unity Asset Store purchse ;) )

7. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@Aceego - Check that your Send Combat Message node is set up like this:

upload_2019-2-21_9-5-1.png

Also, if your Enemy has both the Basic Melee Attack and Basic Spellcasting motions added, make sure that Basic Melee Attack is before Basic Spellcasting in the motion list, otherwise the spellcasting motion will receive the "Attack" message instead and try to handle it, preventing Basic Melee Attack from receiving the message.

8. Aceego

Aceego

I set it up but that does not work either. I know it was my fault at the item slot because since i made the Slot and the Attack animation did not start. Before that he plays the animation, but did not cause damge to my player (Durham was a generic model and the normal Slots are at 0,0,0)

9. Aceego

Aceego

10. Aceego

Aceego

And i knew it. I forget an Attack Style. hmpf that cost me 3 Days but all my fault :)

recon0303 and TeagansDad like this.
  11. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Glad to hear you got it solved! :cool:

Aceego likes this.
  12. recon0303

recon0303

It happens to the best of us, but you learn that way.

hopeful likes this.
  13. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Tried support by email but didn't get much luck with a reply. Maybe the email I have is not working?
    @Tryz I'm following your video on NPCs with Node Canvas:

All works as expected except that my own character models don't do the climb. I've double checked that settings are the same on my MotionController as they are in the 'Live' demo scene. I've even tried copying your Jones character and replaced the skinned mesh with my own (so that I'm essentially using the exact same MotionController and Behaviour Tree) and still yours takes a step back and climbs, but mine just 'jump':

I can't work out what's different! :)

Also I wondered if you could clarify about the 'Climb Onto' navigation area.
    It's not clear how that gets translated into telling the Motion Controller to activate the climbing motion, and which one to pick. (0.5m , 1.0m, etc.) Is that string hard-coded somewhere?

Any help would be much appreciated.

14. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Sorry for the delay in responding to you. The support email works, but Tim is likely rather swamped at the moment.

This part of your question is easier to answer, so I'll start with that. :)

This is handled in the Off Mesh Link Driver (Assets/ootii/Assets/Framework_v1/Code/Actors/Navigation/OffMeshLinkDriver.cs). The Navigate To NodeCanvas action adds a new OffMeshLinkDriver component to the character when the actor moves onto an Off Mesh Link (the component is destroyed once that instance of off mesh link movement has completed).

The "Climb Onto" navigation area is checked on line 136 in OffMeshLinkDriver.cs (in the Start() method), which gets translated into an internal OffMeshLinkMoveType enum value. The Climbing movement is handled in the ClimbUp() method, which first moves the character to the Start transform of the Off Mesh Link and then sends a NavigationMessage to the Motion Controller (line 326 of OffMeshLinkDriver.cs).

All of the "Climb" motions override the OnMessageReceived method of MotionControllerMotion; if the message received is of type NavigationMessage and has and ID of NavigationMessage.MSG_NAVIGATE_CLIMB (15), then the motion tests to see if it should activate. In this respect, the appropriate climbing motion for the height is selected more or less the same way that it is for a player-controlled character.

Any chance you can send me a small project that I can have a quick look at? Just send me a PM with a private link to download the .zip file.

Tryz likes this.
  15. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Thanks @TeagansDad Much appreciate you getting back to me. I think that makes sense re. what's happening under the hood. Those IDs are mentioned in the tutorial videos with regards to setting up your own actions, so I understand the big picture.

I'll get that debug project to you now.

16. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Anyone run into this problem? I can't seem to do the motion pack setup for the Spellcasting motion pack. The other packs seem to work fine. Refer to video.

Latest version of MC and the motion packs. Running 2019.2a (Don't really think this is a unity engine issue)

17. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@Gabriel_SG - Usually when the inspector doesn't draw properly like that it means that an exception is being thrown in the custom inspector code.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow. I confess that I almost never use the pack setup on the Motion Controller component anymore, so I haven't even tried that in months. You should be able to set up the pack in the Character Wizard's advanced mode. It uses the same code for setting up the motion packs, but the setup modules have their own inspector code, and I know that works fine at least up to 2018.3.5f1.

Kaen_SG likes this.
  18. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Thanks I'll try that out.

19. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Tried the character wizard, It behaves really strangely in the spell casting demo... i click on the other spells but it still keeps teleporting around (spell 1).

20. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@Gabriel_SG - The Spellcasting MP tab is drawing fine for me in Unity 2018.3.5f1:

upload_2019-2-27_9-9-32.png

I'll have a look through SpellCastingPackDefinition.cs and see if there's anything that should have more error-checking than it currently does (and compare it to the MotionPackDefinition files for the other motion packs). When I get some time, I can download 2019.2a and see if it does the same thing for me, but if I don't get to it tonight or tomorrow, it won't be until next week (my daughter's birthday is this weekend and I still have a bunch of things to do for her party).

I think I know what's going on. When I put together the Spellcasting Motion Pack setup module for the Character Wizard, I wanted to make sure that it plays nice with the Sword & Shield and Archery packs by default. If you run the default "Packs" tab setup for those three, you'll end up with a character that casts the spell in slot 0 every time he swings a sword.

If you look at the Basic Spell Casting motion on the Player in the demo_SpellCasting scene, its settings are:

upload_2019-2-27_9-28-14.png

And if you look at the same motion on a character set up by the Character Wizard, its settings are:

upload_2019-2-27_9-27-43.png

The Attack Alias "Spell Casting Cast" is set up on the left mouse button. When pressed, the character will cast the currently selected spell in the Spell Inventory.

The demo_SpellCasting scene doesn't use the Attack Alias at all; the code for the spell bar is a quick and dirty implementation that draws a series of GUI buttons on the screen using the old Immediate Mode GUI and then activates the BasicSpellCasting motion when a button is clicked, passing the index of the corresponding spell to the motion.

So I'm thinking that when you're clicking on a button, the BasicSpellCasting motion is activating with spell index 0 because the "Spell Casting Cast" input alias was received. The OnGUI() function in DemoSpellBar_v2.cs is executed fairly late in the frame, so BasicSpellCasting is already active when it registers the button click.

If Requires Stance is enabled, then the character needs to "equip" the spellcasting stance in the same manner as equipping the sword or bow. Otherwise, the character will cast the selected spell any time that the left mouse button is pressed -- and since that is also assigned to "Combat Attack" you get the character casting the spell while attacking.

While not related to this issue, Release From Camera is checked as it helps with aiming (much like it does for the Basic Ranged Attack motion from the Archery pack).

My intent with the Character Wizard was to allow users to get a functional character into the game without having to spend a lot of time figuring out the right settings and having to troubleshoot why something isn't working. ;) So the default settings on a character set up by the Wizard reflect what I consider to be sensible defaults for an action/adventure or action/RPG style game. So there are a few things where its default settings differ from the official demos. Most games of this sort (at least the ones that I've played) have mouselook or right analog stick camera movement, rather than having to hold down the right mouse button to rotate the view (and honestly I find melee combat to be rather cumbersome with that type of control). So that's what I went with as the default for the Character Wizard profiles (this can be changed on individual profiles in Advanced mode).

TL;DR version: if you clear the Attack Alias field and uncheck Requires Stance then it should work in the demo_SpellCasting scene.

21. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

So I still can't click on setup pack for spell casting... but the spellcasting demo that I previously did the character wizard on.. just magically started working perfectly... without any changes... (ie. didn't clear attack alias or uncheck requires stance).

Thanks for the help! @TeagansDad

TeagansDad likes this.
  22. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

@TeagansDad By the way, I tested in 2018.3.6f1 and that spell casting pack setup problem didn't occur. So it could be just 2019.2a being weird.

TeagansDad likes this.
  23. Awesumo

Awesumo

Climbing ladders works very well until the ladder is placed at an angle, not a steep angle, but a normal "ladder against a wall" type of angle. My character climbs up the first few rungs then thinks the climb is over and exits the ladder mid-climb. I see "reach" values in the inspector for climb ladder, but found no docs on how to use them. Any advice on how to climb ladders that are not straight up and down?

24. magique

magique

@Tryz How do you prevent attacks from interrupting the player's actions? When trying to cast a spell, the player is hit and stops casting. I tried unchecking Basic Damaged Reactor, but that didn't help.

[EDIT]
    Or even better would be to be able to check the damage amount and perform a reaction if greater than a certain value and ignore it otherwise. I know there was some information somewhere on how rectors work, but I can't find it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  25. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@magique - You can inherit from BasicDamagedReactor and override it's TestActivate() method. After checking the message type, you can check the Damage property of the message and return false if it does not exceed a threshold value.

26. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I'll have a peek at the code when I get a chance and hopefully I can give you an answer. :)

27. magique

magique

Nice. I was trying to make my own Reactor, but I think your idea is better. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

28. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

You'll actually need to override Activate() now that I think about it, as that's also where the damage value gets applied to the character's health. Just copy the whole method and insert your check before it activates the motion.

Tryz and magique like this.
  29. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @jeromeWork I'm sorry about the huge delay, but I'm glad @TeagansDad is helping.

I'm doing support on the weekends now. So, my response time isn't what it used to be. That said, I am still here. :)

Please see upcoming post...

30. Tryz

Tryz

** Where in the world is Tim-san Diego? **
    (It works better when you play this in your head)

Well, it turns out that I'm in Japan:

About 2 months ago I took a job with Universal Studios and moved to Japan to work on this:

I'll try to hit some big questions...

1. Is ootii dead?
    No. ootii is still alive. I am supporting the assets, but at a slower pace.

I was clear to Universal Studios that game development, Unity, my assets, and this community are part of my life.

2. Why did you abandon us?
    I haven't. I'm just moving at a much slower pace.

Fortunately @TeagansDad has agreed to help... when he can. As you see, he's an amazing resource.

Creating and selling game assets is awesome. However, this was just too huge of an opportunity for me and my family to pass up. It wasn't a decision to move away from Unity, but to move towards Universal Studios and Nintendo.

3. Are the ootii assets still viable?
    Yes.

I believe that over the years they've proven to be solid, extensible, and a great foundation for our games. They are still supported, but I don't have the response times that I used to have.

I used to pride myself on responding to support within an hour; I simply can't do that anymore. So, I'm responding on the weekends.

As I mentioned, @TeagansDad is a huge help and he has some ideas to help the community even more.

4. Are new features coming?
    Probably not anytime soon. I hate saying that, but I'm being honest.

Between work, family, and Unity support... I'm not finding much time for new features. That said, I believe the ootii system has a solid foundation with tons of flexibility. I am still helping people through issues and customizations, but as far as the next motion pack or new assets... I just don't know.

I still love Unity, these assets, and this community. I have no plans on leaving it, but life throws some interesting curve-balls at us.

Anyway, I wanted to share. Now back to support emails. :D

31. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

Thanks for Sharing Tim! And I'm glad @TeagansDad is helping out.. hes a legend! (internal joke) ;)
    Good to hear that things are going well for you and thanks for not abandoning us! :D

Tryz likes this.
  32. Aceego

Aceego

Hi Ootii and all the Members of this forum.
    I follow the Inventory Pro Tutorial with the latest updates from Unity and all Assets. when i have all set up the Mouse button do not show up and after i set the Ootii Camera the Character act strange, like do not react, accept jumping and after this he only strafe. Is the tutorial outdated?
    best regards

33. Tryz

Tryz

The ootii asset only tutorial videos themselves are fine.

The last time I updated the Inventory Pro integration was Oct, 2018.

I'm not sure what you mean "the Mouse button do not show up". Do you mean Inventory Pro buttons? If so, that's nothing that I would have caused.

34. Aceego

Aceego

Ouuhhh again my fault: In the Game Core i have to set "Is Cursor Visible" and here we are :)
    thx for your quick response

Tryz likes this.
  35. Awesumo

Awesumo

Tim, it is awesome to hear about your new adventure! Thank you so much for the character framework assets and for supporting them so well for so long.

Tryz likes this.
  36. Awesumo

Awesumo

I appreciate any insight you uncover. I can just put my ladders at right angles, but they look SO much more realistic leaning against a wall.

37. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I suspect that the motion requires a 90 degree angle because the included ladder climb animations are clearly for a 90 degree climb (if you're climbing a ladder at an angle, your upper body generally stays mostly upright).

Tryz likes this.
  38. Subliminum

Subliminum

This really made me laugh haha thanks for the info Tim and good luck with Nintendo! Your asset is quite flexible and definitely has a future, the community here is happy to try to help each other when we cant get a hold of you :)

Tryz likes this.
  39. Subliminum

Subliminum

You could use a modified version of the ladder climbing motion and integrate it with Final IK control for the feet and hands. This would enable you to build a dynamic ladder climbing behavior that will not be as reliant on prebuilt animation allowing you to climb a range of ladder angles.
    I would determine ladder rungs via code and move each biped limb pair procedurally with animation curves. You could set a LookAtIK to have the character look up at end of the ladder as well.

With a system like that you would need to work out how to transition from jump-ladder, ground-ladder, ladder-top, ladder-jump. The original ladder climbing motion would give you a place to start with techniques for determining when those events take place.

Good luck!

40. Awesumo

Awesumo

I found the docs on the reach offset values, but when I change them, run my scene and go up a ladder, the editor (2018.3.6f1) crashes. Oh, the joys of game development. :)

41. Awesumo

Awesumo

Thanks for the advice, I may try that. Right now getting okay results with shallow ladder angles.

Subliminum likes this.
  42. Tryz

Tryz

That's definitely odd. Can you send me what the offset values are?

The animations are built for a straight-up ladder. That means the root motion will be straight up as well. If you're on a slanted ladder, that will take the character away from the ladder as he goes up.

If you really want a slanted ladder, there are a couple of tricky options:

1. Rotate the character's body so the character's "up" is aligned with the ladder angle. Then, the root-motion will keep the character going up and down at the right angle. You'd have to do this in the Climb Ladder motion.

2. Modify the Climb Ladder motion's UpdateRootMotion to add vertical movement that aligns with the ladder's angle. In this case, using IK like @Subliminum mentioned would help as well.

3. Replace my straight up & down ladder animations with ones that are built for a slanted ladder. In this case, the root-motion would come from the animation and include lateral movement. So, I don't think you'd have to modify the motion itself.

In most cases, the movement of the motion actually comes from the animations. So, we're at the mercy of how the animation was built.

I hope that makes sense. :)

FargleBargle, TeagansDad and hopeful like this.
  43. Aceego

Aceego

Hi again to Ootii and this forum.
    I have another question about the Inventory Pro integration (i know we are here in Ootii´s dimension ;) )
    How can i handle the Health to Inventory Pro? I followed the tutarial and this is not mentioned.
    best regards

44. Tryz

Tryz

I don't have a tutorial for that. If you follow how the Inventory Source and Input Source works, I have an Attribute Source interface as well. So, you can create an Inventory Pro Attribute Source that uses Inventory Pro.

As an example, go to www.ootiigames.com and search for Input Source. There is a video about creating input sources. Same concept.

I hope that helps.

45. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@Aceego I'm pretty sure I have a script to integrate BasicAttributes with Inv Pro stats. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

Tryz likes this.
  46. Aceego

Aceego

Wow, you are awesome :) i wonder why ootii did not make an inventory asset by his own, the basics are allready there and it would boost the ootii universe ;)

drcfrx, hopeful and Tryz like this.
  47. StevanJay

StevanJay

Hey Ootii folks!

Just a heads up for a problem I encountered after updating to the 2019 beta version... All my weapons and shields were equipping with incorrect transforms, without the Local Position and Local Rotation being applied (it was like Local Position and Local Rotation were all zero, even though the correct values were shown in the editor). Newly created weapons were fine though. To fix the existing ones, I had to go through each one, copy and paste as new the Shield/Weapon Core component, and delete the old component.

Now it all seems to be working fine... :)

I wonder though if there might be other broken values like that in other places, but that aren't so obvious to spot?

48. Tryz

Tryz

Good find, but a lot changes between Beta and release. We may find it's a non issue.

StevanJay likes this.
  49. recon0303

recon0303

Thank you sir very much for this information.... I understand this more than most, as worked for studios, I still do from time to time... Its hard to balance Assets, a game, Studio, and family...

So, this is why I never sold any assets, but if you can find the time, to keep updating atleast, that would be great, if there comes to a point, that you can't even do that...I would just ask , that you do your best to inform us, which I know you typically are great at. I will miss the many new updates and features.. but hey, I like the base version mostly anyways, and use add ons for some games, or just protyping.

I have mostly moved from Unity myself...I used other engines in the past, but I'm finding myself, more in Unreal.. as I have for over a decade, but even more so due to the games I work on now a days.. But, our Unity game does use your camera.

Anyways, do the best you can, you have to do what is best for you and your family.... period .

Congrats on the new job.

PS: Huge change, for you, moving out of the country, I have people from UK, China, Japan trying for years to offer me jobs, but I send off to others I know.. That is a huge change.... My wife would never allow. So, I just do remote work, plus my health won't allow.. now but I hear its great, something I wish I would of done when I was single, seen more of the world... Enjoy it, while you can..:) I hear its awesome. over there.

Take a lot of photos and videos when you can.! I have a few friends out there working for different companies, they send me some cool photos all the time. I like seeing it, for when I do some 3d work. :) and they are some cool S*** to see out of country!

Just a thought guys, may be wise, to open a Discord so community members can get help and prolly faster pace.. More assets have done this... and it helps support for not only the devs but the people....So, just a thought if TeaganDad or anyone wanted to open a unofficial Discord...for Tim's tools... This can take a load off Tim as well.. I know personally I don't come to Unity forums as often, due to being on Discord for my games, companies I work for and the many assets I do beta testing for, or help ..... So this is becoming the norm now a days.... So just a thought.... I know you guys never been a fan of Skype or this stuff, you would rather use Unity... but I see the faster pace support, and the community able to help out more.. Due to having voice chat, and a faster means of not having to check Unity forums.. anyways, something to think about.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  50. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Funny you should bring that up... :cool:

Tryz and gman like this.