Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Tryz

Tryz

You're making an assumption that what you want is what everyone wants. In Tomb Raider 2013, she didn't rotate unless she moved (which is what I modeled the default motions after). You're the first one to request it with the AC&R in the hundreds I've sold.

This is also exactly why I like the Motion Controller. If you don't like how the motion works (which is totally fair), you can create exactly what you want without having to build a whole controller. :)

It probably wouldn't take but a couple of minutes to create a motion that does what you're looking for.

In the AdventureForward.cs, go to line 257. That's the DetermineAngularVelocity() function.

Inside the "if" statement, change the contents to the following:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. mAngularVelocity.y = mController.State.InputFromAvatarAngle / Time.deltaTime;
    I just tested and now the character will rotate immediately while moving. If you want to have her rotate this way while idle, you'd just put similar code into your idle motion.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Olander

Olander

Tim, you are getting defensive for no reason. I love your 3rd party tools.....especially Mesh Merge & Splice. Let's not forget Event Dispatcher and Mount Points. I am not personally attacking Motion Controller. Please understand that. Points below....

Firstly, you still did not answer the question. Why is Q & E activating the Forward animation in Motion Controller? Especially when there is no support for it. Both Q & E are tied directly to the Horizontal Axis +/- 3.0

LoTRO/SWTOR/WoW/AoC/TSW/ESO/NWO and even Shadow of Mordor has strafe and rotate options. All major games and I have played them all. Each has some minor differences. Even Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 had rotate and strafe options.
    Also add....
    - Camera Zoom Min/Max
    - Free Camera swing while moving...Tomb Raider 2013 also has this....while moving.

One final comment why something like in place rotation is needed. In your Demo Scene (AdvDemo) climb on that wall near the moving platforms. Now move on top of that then when you reach the end.....simply try turning around and walking/running back to the other end. Currently it is very difficult to do. The only way I could figure out how to do it was by using the Middle Mouse Over the Shoulder View that sets the Character in whatever direction the camera is facing. It also sets the walking mode. Now....hold down the Middle Mouse Button as well as the Right Mouse Button and walk that wall. You will see it is very difficult and uncomfortable to keep both pressed at the same time. A stated, this is the only way I could reliably walk that wall. Perhaps there is some other method I am missing but I fail to see it.

Anyhow...not going to argue with you over this. Not worth it. Your Motion Controller works well enough but things need to be added. This should be the place where we purchasers ask questions without having to reverse engineer your entire code to figure out where to 'properly' insert....let's call this....personal requests. Which is what Motion Controller is touted at being. I am not even asking you to add the features or program them for me.....I can take care of that part.

I very much appreciate the steering change. It indeed works very well. Thank you for the tip and advice. To be honest I would not have spotted this without your help. Thank you again.

3. Tryz

Tryz

We are totally cool. Given my past, it takes a lot more than this to ruffle my feathers. Heck, this is nothing compared to the guy who currently wants to sue me... hahaha. Ah, the life of an asset developer.

That said, I do get to respond to comments and share my opinions just like everyone else. ;)

By default Q and E doesn't do anything for me. Did you add Q and E to the Unity Input manager for 'Horizontal'?

If so, you see movement because I use the 'Horizontal' direction (defaulted to A and D) to run around the camera (just like in Tomb Raider).

That happens in the InputManager.cs (line 56) and MotionController.cs (line 1402). Since the AdventureForward doesn't modify the Input, it simply gets passed on to the Animator.

Similar to Tomb Raider, you can tap D, S, A, and W (or gently tap the left Xbox stick), to rotate the character to a direction. But, Q and E doesn't do anything for me.

Does that help? I really am happy to help and appreciate the suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  4. Olander

Olander

Sorry to hear about the woes.

Oooo....now I see. Yes some like A & D for Turning and the Q & E for Strafing if both options are present. The keys I have set are more like Elder Scrolls where Q & E are for Rotating/Turning and Strafing (depending upon Action Mode), then A is Left Hand and D is Right Hand (for weapons and blocking). Q & E in my case are definitely tied to Horizontal Axis +/- 3.0 as stated.

I do see that if no movement or left or right mouse buttons that the 'Horizontal Axis' is taken into consideration. I did try tapping and it take about 4-6 taps to turn 180 on the wall. Will take some playing with adjustments.

Sorry...one other thing I just noticed last night. I was adding a smooth zoom to the Distance Variable in AdventureRig.cs The Distance is definitely changing with Middle Mouse Scroll but the camera will not update until I click the Middle Mouse Button (Over the Shoulder).
    public float _Distance = 3f; is used is a few spots but it appears not to be a dynamic value....instead dependent upon modes? Am I seeing that right? The zooming feature would only be active in 3rd person modes of course.

5. Tryz

Tryz

You can control the distances with the "Distance" and "FPCDistance" parameters in the Adventure Rig inspector. However (as you're noticing) when the values are changed at run-time, nothing happens.

That's because the move-in and move-out occurs using a timer to smooth it out. That variable is called mTransitionTimer. Once mTransitionTimer is > 0, the transition to the Distance or FPCDistance starts and takes as many seconds as mTransitionTimer is set to.

Distance is the distance the camera is when you're in normal third-person view. FPCDistance is the distance the camera is when you're in over-the-shoulder view. You can see all that transition logic at line 540 (for normal) and line 508 (for OTS).

If you look at the "set" for Distance (Line 61), you'll see that I do this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         public float _Distance = 3f;
    2.         public float Distance
    3.         {
    4.             get { return _Distance; }
    5.             set
    6.             {
    7.                 _Distance = value;
    8.                 mTransitionTimer = _TransitionTimeToTPC;
    9.             }
    10.         }
    Oddly enough, I didn't set the timer in FPCDistance...and I should have.

So, in your case (while in targeting mode) as the scroll wheel changes, you probably want to set FPCDistance and mTransitionTimer.

With that, you should see the camera move in and out.

6. Olander

Olander

Tim....not in targetting mode with Zooming....only is 3rd Person (TPC) mode. Your smoothing works fine as you explain....but that smoothing only is working when switching modes (example being....Middle Mouse Clicks). _Distance variable is not being analyzed per update to reissue a distance setting of the camera.....each update (frame or some cyclic behavior).

So at current state....it appears I must hack the code to change how _Distance is examined every frame in lieu of simply setting _Distance (public float _Distance = 3f;) external of your system via script....which is what I am doing now and that part is working.

7. Tryz

Tryz

I just want to make sure I understand...

You're wanting to change the camera distance while in third-person mode (not over the shoulder). That should be fine. You should be able to do something like "CameraRig.Distance = 10;". Notice you're setting "Distance" and not "_Distance".

Doing that would set the _Distance value as well as set the mTransitionTimer and start the movement without having to switch modes.

But you're right, you'd have to call CameraRig.Distance = 10 from some other script or modify the AdventureRig.cs to support an input setup that modifies the Distance.

As I think about it...
    The one thing you might have issue with in third-person mode is the default side distance the over the shoulder mode uses as the camera transitions. I need to test if that will cause a blip or not.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  8. twobob

twobob

Conducted a trivial stress test

upload_2015-4-2_5-59-26.png

18 ai rigs running nicely, simple test, basic logic like in the demo.
    (the world is incredibly lightweight, and to give us a reasonable control renders out in 2ms or so.)

Stress tests indicate 50 -> 60 would be a hard maximum of fully AI driven controller rigs at the default granularity before seeing consistent frame-dip

upload_2015-4-2_6-4-40.png

I suspect that, given motive, this could be stretched to 100 by a dedicated optimiser for very specific needs (and "yet more" by a driven lunatic, on a mission, no doubt).

But 50+ totally self driving NPC's is a great result OOTB.

Machine specs (4 cores)
    upload_2015-4-2_14-31-53.png

Kudos.

Tryz likes this.
  9. Tryz

Tryz

That's pretty cool @twobob . Could you include your PC specs too?

Thanks!

twobob likes this.
  10. twobob

twobob

did that.

Since I posted (and 5.0.1 is out, figured I'd break out the profiler. now I can run it again with no fear of hanging...)

I had it in my head that the likely blockpoint was the many animators, and I could just mesh bake them or something... However, and it surprised me, it looks like it may have been the per frame garbage. Please note this is on almost 60 runners... so don't have a heart attack over the numbers ;)

I know that you are a stickler for this kind of thing (where possible) so I am just reporting should you wish to trim fat in the future.

upload_2015-4-2_16-0-7.png

upload_2015-4-2_16-2-21.png

or - in precis - on (circa) 50 runners.
    upload_2015-4-2_16-4-9.png

It is this burden that is causing those stutters when pushed beyond the limit. It's a small burden each, but obviously times /n/ it gets large.

Guess: Are you doing a "Find component of the thing I hit with my raycast", gosh they are horrible aren't they, seems like such an anti-pattern. Perhaps you aren't, I should check... but I really do dislike them ;)

Anyways, that appears to be a sticking point, only relevant should someone want to run /bigger/ numbers than the one I posted. :) I upped the machine spec above and am running 5_0_1 on windows 7

Tryz and hopeful like this.
  11. Tryz

Tryz

Thanks @twobob , this is great.

I don't think I am, but I must be doing something. I'll check it out.

12. Olander

Olander

Here is the code that I was able to get semi working with you example. CameraRig.Distance does not exist.
    The following is updated per frame....just a very quick edit to AdventureRig.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1. AdventureRig AdventureRig = this;
    2. AdventureRig.Distance = fZoomDistance;
    What happens is the camera jitters very badly and worsens the larger the Zoom Float value becomes. If a simple distance zoom is this difficult to implement.....sheesh.

Anyhow....I am finished with this product. It was definitely not designed with any sort of RPG/MMO style camera mode controls which is hugely important for tactical and exploration 3rd person games (game types already noted and more). This is fine, no animosity. My fault anyhow since I did see the vids and it did not show camera zooming and options. My fault entirely.

Good luck on the Actor Controller.

13. Tryz

Tryz

Sorry, I assumed you'd know that "CameraRig" was the instance of the Adventure Rig in your scene. I never know what level of programmer users are.

I totally understand. Sometimes a product just isn't a fit for what you want to use it for. I know I've run into the same situation with things I've purchased. As you said, that's why I try to share the documentation, have playable demos, videos, etc.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  14. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Just bought MC I loved the demo. Here's my issue on unity 5 Personal cant get the xbox 360 to work. I can run and move but that's it. no jump, climb, punch, only function working is moving. Do I need easy input? I'm sure there's an easy fix but i'm not there yet.

About me I have over a decade in rigging and animation key framing and mocap also facial animation. With animation I am strong but with coding I am not. I will be learning C# asap it opens the doors to a new world.

I did drag input file to project settings but still nothing, Am I missing a step?
    Once I get this working I plan to buy all your products there great.

15. sefou

sefou

I have same issue with Unity 5.

16. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

easy input works great with xbox 360

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  17. Tryz

Tryz

Hi all,

Just as a sanity check, I downloaded the latest version of the Motion Controller using Unity 5 and I did get the Xbox controller to work. Here's what I did:

1. Created a new Unity 5 project
    2. Downloaded and imported the Motion Controller
    3. Unzipped the "InputManager.asset" file from the InputManager.zip into the Project Settings folder
    4. Opened the "Demo" scene
    5. Clicked on the GameCore object in the scene hierarchy and checked "Enable Xbox Controller"

With that, I was able to jump, climb, move, etc.

I thought I had these steps in the documentation, but I'm realizing the steps aren't as clear as I listed above. So, I'll update the documentation and get that out. I'm sorry about that.

Please try these steps and let me know how it goes. :)

18. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Thank you for a speedy reply I got it working once I followed your documentation

I love it great assets man thanks a bunch

Tryz likes this.
  19. Tryz

Tryz

Documentation updated (Rev 5)... I had to clear my browser's cache first.

I updated the "Getting the Demo Running" and "Creating a New Scene" sections to be a bit clearer.

As always, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or post if you have an issue. I'll help as quickly as possible. :)

20. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Imported a fuse character for testing all is good just have a couple questions.

1. Climbing seems not to work I will open new project and start from zero maybe I missed

something. Is there a unity 5 Bug with climbing over and on objects with MC and custom

characters?

I would love to create motions like idle with emotions for example, "If your idle to long you yawn

then sit down" lol it just looks funny.

2. Is it better to just create your own motions for MC or just drag and drop your own animations

to MC via mecanim for your own style of game making. Its only been about a week or less with

MC never hurts to ask before doing.

ACC looks great :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  21. Tryz

Tryz

He Relacon,

No, everything seems good here. I'm using Unity 5 and Mixamo characters as well. Just make sure your objects are on a 'climbable' layer. Even I've forgotten that before. If that still doesn't work, shoot an email to tim@ootii.com and we'll figure it out. :)

Great question! There are a lot of motions (like idle and sneak) whose sub-state machines in Mecanim are really simple. In these cases, I think replacing the animation works just fine.

If you do this, I would suggest coping the Animator Controller and using the copy. This way when a MC update comes, I don't override your Animator Controller.

However, something like Jump is a lot more complicated. because it's physics based and dynamically lands, the animation is chopped up and timed for each phase of the jump. In this case, it's probably better to create your own motion.

I would say... look at the complexity of the sub-state machine and see if you think a drop-and-replace looks simple.

Thanks! All of a sudden things got crazy here (family stuff, contract work, support, etc). So, I'm much further behind than I expected. I'm also debating if I delay putting it out until MC2 is ready. The primary reason is that I actually want to work on my game and with BC still in beta. So, it's release is a little in limbo right now. :(

22. hopeful

hopeful

Or make everything climbable.

Tryz likes this.
  23. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Thanks I am just getting in from a long day at work.thanks for replying I will do that (make layer climbable).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  24. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Man I work too much can't wait to get back into 3D full time again

Mr Ootii, Can I call you that :)

the documentation you provide explains alot of what I've been asking, Well mostly I'm sure there will be more as I dive deeper to MC and AC

getting adventure camera asap when I get home from work friday.

thanks for taking the time

man and please keep the great work coming.

Tryz likes this.
  25. Tryz

Tryz

hahaha... if you'd like. Or, Tim if it's easier... hahaha.

Absolutely. Don't hesitate to ask questions here or shoot me an email. I like nice people. :D

26. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

NICE I GOT
    Adventure Camera and Rig to
    work fine but failed to get it to play with MC I try again in the morning. Oh this was done with a custom charter the demo on AC works fine. Dude you make good assets. By morning the goal is to get Easy input, adventure camera to play nice with Motion controller then I can work on custom motions. Crouch, duck and cover behind walls and objects, Fire guns have melee. Any tips on a good weapons manager that is like metal gear solid where you can toggle a menu for picking any weapon you want to choose even unequipped and have melee as your standard attack maybe use the D pad or something simple as a toggle switch?

Set up crouch with left top trigger, Have duck and or cover as a condition of the environment that could trigger different motions. My only head ache is everything that's not animation
    related lol.

Also make a function as the options menu for different camera views far, close and really close.

If I only knew how to code I could write these's scripts :(

can't wait to get into C# :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  27. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @relacon

It sounds like you got things (mostly) working. Just in case you haven't, make sure you check out the User's Guide.
    - Page 29 shows how to integrate the Adventure Camera & Rig
    - Page 30 shows how to integrate Easy Input

If something still isn't right, feel free to shoot me (tim@ootii.com) some screenshots of you inspectors and I'll help. :)

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to try out any weapons managers yet. Maybe someone else watching the thread has some suggestions.

I love C#. I've done a lot of work with other languages (been coding 20+ years) and C# is my favorite. The trick is to just dive in... read some tutorials, make mistakes, and learn. No better teacher than experience. ;)

I'm happy to give you pointers and hints with any new motions you want to create too.

28. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

love this controller this is only a test but I would love any feed back so far.

most of the time at the moment I have to rush things as my family and work takes up alot of my time. I have a camera rotation issue when idle and spinning too fast the zoom at times wont stay at zoom but will stay in zoom when walking and zoom is pressed it will stay at zoom, punch wont work but other than that everything is great. This is a really good group of assets motion controller/adventure controller and easy input thanks Mr Ootii you rock bro.

Unity community is amazing.

PS. I do miss things from time to time. = very busy and family demands alot of me but thats ok.

But when I get focused I am in beast mode.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Tryz likes this.
  29. twobob

twobob

This video is private.

30. Tryz

Tryz

Twobob is right. Can't see the video. :(

31. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

my bad lol

32. Tryz

Tryz

Looking good! I love seeing what people do. :)

A couple of things I noticed that will help you to clean it up:

1. On the climb, her hands don't look like they settle on the edge of the ledge. You can adjust this in the "Climb Crouch" motion. Modify the "Body Target Offset" to be a little more (meaning -6.0 or something). This determines how far from the edge their root is.

2. When idle and rotating the camera, she's rotating too. Go to the "Casual Idle" motion and disable "Rotate with View".

3. It looks like you've got a lot of layers, but they are all set to "Animator Layer" 0. You probably want two layers: one for locomotion (really the whole body) and one for upper body animations (like firing different guns). So, when you walk, the animations on the first layer (locomotion) will play and when you shoot, the animations on the second layer will override the limited bones on the first. This all works right along with Unity's normal Mecanim layering system.

Keep going. You're doing great and it's neat seeing it come alive.

33. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

thanks all is fixed

Tryz likes this.
  34. hopeful

hopeful

I was browsing the forum and noted someone complaining that the standard character controller can't detect a collision if the character is standing still.

Is this something the Actor Controller can handle?

35. Tryz

Tryz

I want it to, but it's too early to tell. I know that's a weird answer, but I've taken a couple of detours and one of those is collision detection.

I've got a dynamic system for detecting collisions with random meshes. However, it's really the reaction to the collision that's the tough part.

Say you have a floor, a character on the floor, and a platform coming down to squish the character into the floor...
    1. Does the platform stop moving when it hits the player?
    2. Does the character get pushed through the floor?
    3. Does the platform get pushed through the character?

Creating a generic system to handle this (vs. coding every situation) is the challenge.

36. hopeful

hopeful

Should we have a system where all dynamic objects have a primitive collision detection controller? Objects would have a physics type reaction (including a possibility for self-damage), while characters would need a motion, BC impact, or default ragdoll action ...?

A ducking and then crouching motion could be the proper reaction if a ceiling was slowly moving downward.

A dodging motion would be the proper reaction if the object is dodge-able.

An impact reaction (BC) or ragdoll would be appropriate if hit.

Maybe we need a Collision Controller. ;)

37. Tryz

Tryz

hahaha... :)

Unity has a lot of good systems in place and I'd rather work with them than re-create the wheel. So, I'm not exactly sure what I want to do yet.

Your suggestions are definitely good. I just have to figure out if there's a generic solution I can apply.

The road I'm going down now is to build my own game with the AC, MC, BC, and AC&R. I figure the more I use them in my game, the more I can show these new ideas work in practice and not just theory.

38. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Hey, the MC seems really cool but how is it with non human characters?

39. Tryz

Tryz

Hey zertrax,

Great question. As long as you can use Unity's Character Controller with your character (and usually you can), you're fine.

You will probably need to create a different set of motions to represent the animations that fit your character, but that's what the MC was built for.

Some motions (like Casual Idle) are simple and you just need to replace the animation. However, the Jump and Climb motions were built specifically for humanoids. So, you'd need to build replacement motions for those (if needed).

40. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

I love your controller

things are fixed now time to add new motions

Tryz likes this.
  41. modulo34

modulo34

Hi, i wanted to use both of your product, your Adventure Camera with your Motion Controller together, so i have import the "Motion Controller" package first and i was able to make it work with the documentation.After i imported the "Adventure Camera and Rig" package , after the import, i got this error on the console:

Assets/ootiiMotionController/Scripts/ootii/MotionController/Input/InputManager.cs(11,18): error CS0101: The namespace `com.ootii.Input' already contains a definition for `InputManager'

I have now 2 InputManager, on in each of your packages, what do i need to do to correct this problem?

Thank you! Love your product!

42. Tryz

Tryz

Hi Modulo34,

That error is expected. I talk about it in the "Adventure Camera & Rig" section of the documentation (page 29).

The reason is that the Motion Controller is totally replacing the existing Input Manager from the Adventure Camera & Rig. Just delete the InputManager.cs from the Adventure Camera & Rig folder and all will be well.

Let me know if you have any other issues or questions and I'm happy to help. :)

43. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

Hey Mr Ootii

My wish list for your road map for a new asset similar to a adventure creator that will group all your assets in to

one UI while drag an drop files is cool to.

Or if you want, Tell us your work flow when making a tps/adventure game.

also I started this udemy coding course do you think it will help me with

all my tps/adventure project or I have alot more to learn.

https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/?dtcode=Nd44LuY2MNUu

44. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @relacon

Thanks for the suggestion! It's always a struggle trying to figure out what can be a component vs. a full solution. Some people may have other cameras or IK solutions they want to use. So, I don't want to force everyone to buy one large project if they only need a piece. So, I've tried to make things modular and the response to that has been pretty positive.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "work flow when making a game". Obviously there's a lot to it. From game design docs to environment build-outs to play testing.

I can say that I believe in prototypes. I like to take things in small chunks and then glue those chunks together. For example:

I'm back to working on my game and I've created a "danger room". It's not fancy, but a bunch of blocks that I can run up, jump off, and climb. I've set my character up (Motion Controller + Adventure Camera + Bone Controller + Easy Input) and now I'm tweaking motions to fit the animations that I've purchased.

Once I get him moving in the environment the way I want, I'll go back to my combat prototype. For that, I've created other components (RPG Attributes + Senses + AI + Combat System). The goal will be to make combat fast and exciting (based on a mix of stats and reaction times).

You can imagine that I have lots of these prototypes that will create the core functionality of my game.

As for the course, it looks pretty interesting and is getting good reviews. I've never taken it, but it looks promising.

I hope that helps. :)

45. hopeful

hopeful

I want a danger room too, with moving blocks, a slowly closing door at the other end, and threats on the way. :)

Tryz likes this.
  46. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

You are right about going modular with your assets. I hope your RPG Attributes + Senses + AI + Combat System becomes an asset very soon.

I have bought alot of assets some of theses just for code for when I can use them. At the end of the day I love MC, AC, EI, and soon getting BC and the rest I can get up and running with your assets now that I know to follow your documentation

My question was weird in writing but PLEASE bring your RPG Attributes + Senses + AI + Combat System to the asset

store even if in beta I would buy it yesterday and so would many others.

There is very few if any good tps system out there for us noob coders like myself.

Tryz likes this.
  47. Tryz

Tryz

Thanks for the kind words. That means a lot to me. :D

The main reason I make the assets that I do is because I need them for my own game. So, when I find things lacking or missing, I create them. Turns out selling them has helped fund my game and put food on the table... and I do like to eat!

However, it tends to make me a bit slower as I'm not just pumping out assets... I'm really using them. The good news is that it forces me to think about how they'd work in a real game vs. just tech demos. I guess what I'm saying is that I do have a lot more things planned. I just might be slower than what we'd all want. ;)

48. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

thanks man take your time. I prefer quality over quantity any day. aka Apple's theme for many years.

PS I use both mac and windows kinda need them both now a days lol.

Can't wait and looking froward to the updates.

Tryz likes this.
  49. modulo34

modulo34

Thank you so much, that worked!
    I still have 2 question..:D

How can i modify the MotionController script to automatically "grab" the camera,so i don't have to manually assign it, because i using OrkFramework, and it spawn my player in the game, so i cannot manually assign it..

I just begin to learn C#, so i have look at the MotionController Start function, and saw _CameraTransform variable, so i have think about something like this, at the top of Start function:

_CameraTransform = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("MainCamera").transform;

What do you think?

And my second question is a bit similar , but its for the Adventure Script, same problem since my player is spawn with Ork FrameWork, i cannot assign the Controller manually , so i have tag my player with "MainPlayer" and i wanted to use something like this;

Controller = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("MainPlayer").gameobject;

But i don't want to broke everything !

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  50. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @modulo34 , you got it. :D

With the _CameraTransform, you're exactly right. Make that the very first line of the Motion Controller's Start() function.

Then, with the Adventure Camera, you're really close. The first line of it's Start() function would be:
    _Controller = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("MainPlayer").gameobject.GetComponent<MotionController>() as Controller;

Since the player really has a MotionController component (which inherits from Controller), look for that. Then, cast it to a Controller. You shouldn't need the cast, but it just makes it clear.

Doing these... everything should be fine.