Search Unity

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Necka_

Necka_

I own the wolf, I'll make that scene now (I'm almost sure I'm not going to have any issue and I'll scratch my head for 10 days... but I'll do it)

Also yeah I think I have the last version, at least it's from the Asset Store, downloaded it around 10 days ago

2. Necka_

Necka_

Yep..as expected no issue on a fresh project... and here comes hours of troubleshooting to find out what stupid box or thing I have that create this issue.
    The only thing I have is that the animals have a Nav Mesh agent and a Nav Mesh surface is baked, but I don't think it has any influence here

TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  3. Tryz

Tryz

Makes me happy and sad at the same time. :(

Maybe there's some avoidance that the nav mesh agent is doing?

antoripa and TeagansDad like this.
  4. Necka_

Necka_

Ok found the issue, here are my repro steps:

-Add the character with MC (grounding/collision) + Rigidbody Kinematic
    -Add the animal, set grounding layer
    -Play mode: collisions ok
    -Exit Play mode
    -Change Player size to 1.3, 1.3, 1.3
    -Enter Play mode: collision not ok (pushing)
    -In Playmode click on auto create the colliders -> collisions better, but not so good (still pushing a little with my character - a lot with Y-Bot)
    -Exit Play mode
    -Set the Player size to 1,3, 1.3, 1.3
    -Click on auto create the colliders
    -Enter Playmode: collisions are not ok at all again

I didn't test with a cube but with my character. Tried also with Y-Bot and the issue is even worse (except with scale at 1,1,1)

5. Tryz

Tryz

Good find. I was able to reproduce that as well.

Give me a day or two and I'll figure out why that mattered.

Necka_ likes this.
  6. Necka_

Necka_

Yay, I'm not crazy \o/

Malbers and Tryz like this.
  7. clarson2974

clarson2974

I seem to be running into an issue with MC and the motion packs. I'm running Unity 2018.2.5f1, and if I create a blank project and import MC and then the Sword and Shield pack, open up the demo_SSMP scene and run it, when I equip a weapon the player drops half way into the ground and only the shield is equipped. I originally noticed this because I was working on setting up integration with Inventory Pro, and I was modifying the Inventory Pro scene to use Motion controller but noticed this oddity before I was able to get any further. I then created the completely blank project and was able to reproduce it. Note that this happens with the archery pack as well.

Ideas?
    upload_2018-8-28_20-21-3.png

8. clarson2974

clarson2974

Bah, I'm stupid. I didn't import the Mixamo animations....

hopeful, Tryz and TeagansDad like this.
  9. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I was just about to reply, asking you that. :)

Pretty much any time you see that half-in-ground pose, it means that the animator controller is playing a state with no animation clip assigned to it.

hopeful, clarson2974 and Tryz like this.
  10. Salja

Salja

Some of my work with Motion Controller

And here some tests with Motion Controller Interactions and Final IK at the same time

maybe it will inspire someone :D

magique, antoripa, Vog and 2 others like this.
  11. Tryz

Tryz

That is really awesome!

I love seeing different assets integrated together too. VERY well done! :D

Salja likes this.
  12. Salja

Salja

Thanks

I need to look more at Final IK to found the best way to use together, at the moment a bit messi :D

Tryz likes this.
  13. Tryz

Tryz

I haven't used Final IK much, but I have an OnAnimatorIK function available in each motion you can override or you could use events to enable/disable Final IK as a separate component.

What you've done is great. So, I'm sure you'll figure out how you want it. :D

Salja likes this.
  14. Tryz

Tryz

I found out what's happening...

When I create sphere colliders, I use the body shape's radius to set the sphere collider radius. When the character's scale is (1, 1, 1), everything matches.

So, the body shape prevents us from moving forward when we hit the wolf (or deer).

If you change the character's scale to something like (1.3, 1.3, 1.3) then Unity applies that to the colliders too.

However, my radius for the body shape is still fixed.

This means the larger sphere colliders hit the wolf before my body shape does. With the wolf being non-kinematic, Unity pushes the wolf away and my body shape never hits the wolf.

I've added code to set the size of the sphere colliders to a fixed value (like my body shape). This way they remain the same size. That will go out with the next update.

hoodoo, Malbers, Necka_ and 4 others like this.
  15. Necka_

Necka_

Hi Tim, I think I have another bug, I tried in a fresh project too directly so I'm sure it's not too much my fault.

-Scene is: a plane, a character (y-bot here), MC/AC added with default settings
    -Adventure style -> remove default walk motion and replace by Basic Walk/Run Focus -> Check default to run for more obvious "bug"
    -Check rotate to input
    -Rotation speed for me is 0 to have instant rotation (Top-Down project but doesn't matter here it can be 3rd person)
    -Enter Play mode
    -Press W or S or D : no problem
    -Press A (direction left): the character always do sort of a straf at the end of its animation. Long run left is less obvious but if you try to press A just one time, release, press A again, release: that's where the problem is obvious

Here is the issue I have in a video:

16. Necka_

Necka_

Would anyone would have an idea on what to change to fix that issue I have with my custom characters:

upload_2018-9-4_8-9-57.png

Clean project, when I add MC+AC to both the Y-Bot and my custom character, the custom one will float above the ground when entering play-mode.

The Y-Bot isn't affected by this issue

I literally left everything by default and just checked "Adventure mode" in MC for both, to have an idle and walk.

By changing the Y-Offset of the IDLE animation to +0.035 it grounds the character, but that would mean I'd need to change this Y-Offset on absolutely all animations which would be quite a big task (because the floating is on all animation so far)

If I disable the Animator before entering play-mode the character is on the ground, so it's definitely coming from here.

I don't know if I can fix it on the rig import settings somewhere, I post that in case someone know about this issue

thanks

17. BinaryStylus

BinaryStylus

Hi there. I'm thinking about a few things and calling settargetposition(). How does MotionController know what motion to use when this is called?

I'm concerned that I build a cool motion - that is happy with human keyboard interaction - I might have made it in a way that won't work for an NPC, (normal considerations notwithstanding). So I'm worried about how settargetposition() might make it's selection of motion and animation to use.

Of course I can always invoke a specific motion, I suppose. But I'd love clarification.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  18. Tryz

Tryz

This is pretty standard with animation re-targeting and models built by different artists.The hips of the animated character are animated higher than your character's legs can reach. So, you get this gap (or sometimes you're in the ground)

The way to solve this is to nest your character's skeleton into another transform and then lower (or raise) the 'sink'.

Necka_, TeagansDad and KeithBrown like this.
  19. Tryz

Tryz

In playing with it, the root-motion of the animation has a bit of drift in it... especially at the beginning. So, in small bursts you see more as the drift is in the front of the animation.

I was able to clean a lot of it up by adjusting the animation's rotation offset:

I'll have this change going forward, but you may want to tweak it to your liking and then save your animation and animator.

The animation file is found here:
    ..\Assets\ootii\Assets\MotionController\Content\Animations\Humanoid\Walking\unity_WalkFWD_v2.fbx

If the drift is still too much for you, you can add a 'Walk Speed' and 'Run Speed' to the Basic Walk Run Focus motion and I'll ignore the root-motion altogether. That kept everything perfectly straight, but with Basic Walk Run Focus, it depends on some of the options as its more a top-down motion.

Necka_ likes this.
  20. Tryz

Tryz

Hi

Setting SetTargetPosition() or SetTargetVelocity() doesn't really change which motion runs as I use the direction to create pseudo input.

From the motion flow perspective, it doesn't matter if the input came from a player, AI, or pseudo input. That means the motion that runs follows the same priority. In this case, a motion which requires movement input and that has the highest priority... This would typically be a 'walk run' motion.

So, if you had three motions setup:
    Basic Idle
    Basic Walk Run Pivot
    Jump

Basic Walk Run Pivot would take over because there's movement input.

Makes total sense. :)

Really the only thing you have to watch out for with PCs vs. NPCs is the camera. For example, my Walk Run Pivot motion uses the input relative to the camera to determine how the PC should rotate. This works because the camera follows the PC. NPCs don't typically have a camera. So, you can't rely on that when creating your motion.

Otherwise, the MC will treat input and pseudo input the same.

21. Necka_

Necka_

Thank you Tim for those two answers, it is thankfully simpler than I thought :)
    I noticed now that some of my other (paid) animations are fitting my character well, so I believe for mixing animations I'll have to first check which "animation pack" I'll use mostly and then play with the Y-Offset of the animation of the other party to compensate for that. That's a bit a bummer but as you explained, it's not because of Motion Controller but because each animation creator has its own set of rules, well that's part of the journey I believe :)

Thank you again, as always, great support :)

hopeful and Tryz like this.
  22. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi Tim,
    I'm using easy input along with Motion Controller.
    But I'm trying to let my players change the key mapping in a setting panel (uGUI)
    I read the description of easy input says it supports runtime setting changes, but I have not found any entry of it.
    I'd like to let my player click on an action then monitor his keyboard and use the key he hits next as the new key for this action.
    Is there an easy way to achieve this?

23. Tryz

Tryz

Just remove and add the action aliases on the Input Manager like this...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. InputManager.AddAlias("Jump", EnumInput.SPACE);
    2. InputManager.RemoveAlias("Jump", EnumInput.J);
    Since my inspector won't be available in the build of your game, those entries are just the defaults. You'll store the user selected settings however you're storing game data and just call my InputManager when your game starts.

Here's an example of it in action...

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using com.ootii.Input;
    4. public class ChangeInput_code : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     private void Update()
    7.     {
    8.         if (InputManager.IsJustPressed("Jump"))
    9.         {
    10.             Debug.Log("Jump is pressed");
    11.         }
    12.     }
    14.     private void OnGUI()
    15.     {
    16.         if (GUI.Button(new Rect(10, 10, 100, 20), "Jump - Space"))
    17.         {
    18.             InputManager.AddAlias("Jump", EnumInput.SPACE);
    19.             InputManager.RemoveAlias("Jump", EnumInput.J);
    20.         }
    22.         if (GUI.Button(new Rect(10, 35, 100, 20), "Jump - J"))
    23.         {
    24.             InputManager.AddAlias("Jump", EnumInput.J);
    25.             InputManager.RemoveAlias("Jump", EnumInput.SPACE);
    26.         }
    27.     }
    28. }

24. Harekelas

Harekelas

The issue I've got is that I don't know how to translate the key player pressed on keyboard (read as unity's keycode) to ootii's key enum.
    I checked the int behind these enums and the unity keycode, many of them are different, can't find an efficient way to convert them.

25. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

I could be wrong but the whole idea behind Easy Input is that you do not have to. The code in the plugin is doing it for you. So the code below will add two alias when the game starts using the awake function. Then every update it will check to see if either the space key or the j key was press by using the alias name. There is no reason to check the unity inputs as EasyInput is doing its magic in the InputManager.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using com.ootii.Input;
    3. public class JumpKeyLogger : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     private void Awake()
    6.     {
    7.             InputManager.AddAlias("Jump", EnumInput.SPACE);
    8.             InputManager.AddAlias("Jump", EnumInput.J);
    9.     }
    11.     private void Update()
    12.     {
    13.         if (InputManager.IsJustPressed("Jump"))
    14.         {
    15.             Debug.Log("Jump is pressed");
    16.         }
    17.     }
    18. }
    If you search his code, you can see what each enum value is actually being set by.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  26. Tryz

Tryz

@KeithBrown is right. You really don't need to convert them.

One thing that may help is my InputManager's KeysPressedCount and KeysPressed property. It will tell you which keys are pressed without having to check them all individually. Here's an updated Update() function showing an example:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (InputManager.KeysPressedCount > 0)
    2. {
    3.     string lKeysPressed = "";
    4.     for (int i = 0; i < InputManager.KeysPressedCount; i++)
    5.     {
    6.         if (lKeysPressed.Length > 0) { lKeysPressed = lKeysPressed + ", "; }
    7.         lKeysPressed = lKeysPressed + InputManager.KeysPressed[i];
    8.     }
    10.     Debug.Log("Keys pressed: " + lKeysPressed);
    11. }
    Here's what the output looks like for above:

The first two lines I pressed one key and the second two I pressed two keys.

Typically UI would show the "Jump" action and you'd hit some button to change the key. If you use the KeysPressed property, you'll tell which key the user pressed and can set that int (EnumInput) value.

Harekelas, KeithBrown and TeagansDad like this.
  27. StayUpLate

StayUpLate

Any way to have the MC or camera controller always have the mouse move the camera around for 3rd person follow, without needing to hold M1 first? M2 should remain being the trigger for targeting

28. Tryz

Tryz

On the Unity Input Source in the scene, there's a drop-down called 'View Activator'. It defaults to 'Right Mouse Button'... set it to 'None'.

That should do it.

StayUpLate likes this.
  29. StayUpLate

StayUpLate

It does! Thank you! I'm thinking about making a simple UI for te inventory. I managed to get Inventory Pro+MC working but at that exact point I realised that IP is wayyyy too much for what I want to do. Just collect some weapons, arrows, ammo, door keys and some food + water. I have a feeling the ootii basic inventory can handle that just fine and that way I'm also closer to the animations. Does this sound sane or am I going on a crazy coding adventure here? :D

Also; does your easy input asset provide integration with MC+packs so that I can have the player remap buttons to their liking or is it better if I write my own button/controller mapping UI?

30. StayUpLate

StayUpLate

From what I've heard 4.0.x and going forward the language spec is more strict on the type. Basically 3.5 kept one eye shut for soft type overrides but as of recent they have been more strict on how they handle variabele type and casting/conversion. It's a good thing, but it's less nice that a lot of people have to find out the hard way :p

Maybe you could broaden your search for a more permissive / loose type handling? Not sure if that is the exact issue again, but I thought I'd share.

Edit: I believe we fixed that (in an azure server side app though) by cloning the troublesome casts to a less strict var type and work them from there. Might be cheating a bit but I'm not sure client would praise us for redoing all kinds of types in the time he pays us.

31. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Hi all, a quick question about the spell casting motion pack - in the setup video for the asset, Ootii mentions downloading the free Mixamo magic animations using their Y bot, and then adding his included meta files for those animations to the same folder once downloaded.
    When I downloaded the animations from Mixamo, they are named differently to what is shown in the video, hence Ootii's meta files won't match names either as his last update on the asset was back in June of this year. Does anybody know if this means the asset won't work correctly? I haven't bought the motion pack yet ( I do own Motion Controller), until I know I can use it - I sent Ootii an email yesterday, but no reply as yet, so I figured I would post on here and see if anybody can help. Thanks for your time.

32. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

Before downloading the pack you have to make sure that you load the Y-Bot character into the animations. Just search for that character and make sure that it is loaded into the right side of the screen. Alternatively, you could probably just rename all of the animations to match the meta file names.

The user guide has a section on how to do it properly. User Guide Link. Page 27 has the instructions for downloading.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Tryz likes this.
  33. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Thanks for the quick reply. I did load the Y-Bot in for the animations, as the fbx for it appears at the bottom of the animations list in the download - the page on the Mixamo site is now different from the one depicted in the video, so I guess there were some changes made there. I will try again, and see if I get a different outcome. Thanks again.

34. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

I just downloaded them and got the same thing actually. I really do believe that if you rename the animations then it will work properly.

If you download and run the Bulk Rename Utility it will make it easy to rename them until Ootii can get an update out if Mixamo has in fact change the download schema yet again.

35. wheelbarrow

wheelbarrow

Ah, thanks for going to all that trouble :) At least I now know there is nothing wrong on my end. And thanks for the link, I will have to give that a shot if the copy/paste gets too laborious. I appreciate your time Keith, I guess I will go and purchase the motion pack and see if I can get it to work. Cheers.

36. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @wheelbarrow and @KeithBrown , Sorry for the delay.

In looking at the documentation, it does show 'Y_Bot@xxxx' animations and Mixamo is downloading zip without the 'Y_Bot@' prefix, but that's ok.

If you look in my AnimationMeta.zip file, you'll see that I support both versions.

If you follow the steps (ignoring the 'Y_Bot@' prefix), you'll see everything still works. I just did it all (including downloading the animations) and confirmed everything is good.

Mixamo did change the animations a while back and I just forgot to update the images in the docs and create a new video. I did put a note about this, but it's easy to miss.

TeagansDad and KeithBrown like this.
  37. Tryz

Tryz

I was testing and typing to try to get here before you. :)

No need to download anything extra or change names. Just follow the documentation. I include meta files for the 'YBot_@' prefix and no prefix.

38. Tryz

Tryz

hahaha... no, not insane. :)

The big thing you'll have to think about is serialization. My Basic Inventory won't save inventory changes across runs. If you want to support that, you want to serialize changes so you can restore them when the game loads.

Yes, but...

You can use Easy Input with all my assets and create a UI for players to reset the input they use.

The 'but' part comes in because I failed to make it easy to use with my motion packs. What I mean is that I should automatically add things like the 'Interact' action alias to the list in Easy Input. Until I do, you have to type that entry yourself. For each motion pack, there's about 5 entries that need to be added by hand.

It's on my to-do list to integrate that easier... I just haven't gotten to it.

hopeful likes this.
  39. StayUpLate

StayUpLate

You got it! Thx!

I've been struggling with a weird issue for a while now; namely my character bending from the hip and making 360 degree circles through the legs when I hold/pull an arrow and look up all the way or down all the way.

I've managed to isolate the setting that affects this to be the "enable Look IK" in combo with "Rotate with camera" on the Basic Ranged Attack. Furthermore this issue seems to come from the arrow, since the issue is gone when I remove the arrow_01 reference from the READY_PROJECTILE slot. Strangely enough the arrow seems to be in forward position so I cannot detect any weird spawning rotation. (my sword had to be rotated but now works fine.)

The issue only appears while I pull the arrow with mouse 1. In "idle" bow stance everything is ok

Anyone else familiar with this issue?

40. Tryz

Tryz

It sounds like the bow may not be positioned correctly in the hand.

Check out the Archery User's Guide (page 30):
    http://www.ootii.com/Unity/MotionControllerPacks/Archery/ArcheryUsersGuide.pdf

I also talk about something similar in the Shooter Motion Pack (not that you'd know to look there):
    https://ootiigames.com/?page_id=1028

This video should help too. It shows how to adjust a weapon in the character's hand. This is the same thing I'll talk about below:

Basically, here's what's happening...

When animator layers are used to blend animations, you can get unexpected results. Say you have a walk animation on Layer 0 and shooting on Layer 1. The spines of the different animations won't line up perfect and when you walk, the walking animation will twist the lower spine one way while the shooting animation will twist the next spine bone another way making you shoot off some wonky direction.

In order to allow for shooting while walking I adjust the spine using real-time IK. This fixes the issue above. To do this, I take the forward direction of the bow (with the arrow) and compare that to the forward direction of the character. That's the difference that I rotate the spline by.

So, how the bow is placed in the hand is important as that's the forward direction I use to test. We want the bow to be rotated the normal forward direction.

However, different characters made by different artists rotate the hand bones differently. If you just drop the bow in as-is, your character's hand bones may not be rotated to have the bow face forward.

You need to make sure you have a version of the bow (and Bow Core) that fits with your skeleton's hands. If you don't, placing the bow in your character's hand may have the bow (and arrow) point in an odd direction. Then, the spine IK I talked about earlier will rotate the spline to make the odd direction face forward and your spine does crazy stuff.

In the documentation, I talk about making sure the bow is setup based on your character's hand direction. Once that's done, you can enable "Enable Look IK" and I can modify the spine correctly.

I hope all that makes sense.

If it doesn't or you get stuck, feel free to email tim@ootii.com and I'll help.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  41. Necka_

Necka_

Hey Tim,

I'm trying to figure out something with the Spell casting pack

As you can see in this video, the positionner icon is blocked way too close to the character and it changes as I rotate the camera (one side is always more blocked than the other)

upload_2018-9-9_1-26-58.png

I have the impression that it is because it's supposed to work in third person view but not really from a top-down version.

Would you have an idea on how to change that? I figured out how to get my character casting in the proper direction and not at the ground but now that is my new blocking point :)

42. Weblox

Weblox

Hi @Tryz

I am looking at the Archery Motion Pack and I wonder if it will work "out-of-the-box" with Kriptos new Archery Effects or if you would make a "drag-n-drop" integration, similar to what u did with the Magic Effects Package to use with the Spell Creator ?

43. hopeful

hopeful

I think the Archery Effects by kripto289 would probably work under the Spell Motions.

I don't have this particular kit yet (it's on my list) but it looks like the animations are included, so it should work just like spell casting, with the archery animations being additional casting animations.

Weblox likes this.
  44. Salja

Salja

Here the new Archery Effects with ootii Motion Controller in use in my video, the setup is a bit complex in use the spell motion pack to handel, but it works.

45. Salja

Salja

Haha now Tim think i have 2 Accounts, i talk with tim 2 days ago over the same what in want to make a simple ui for the basic Inventory

46. YCE2010

YCE2010

Hi ootii:
    I´m using Shooter Motion Pack. I need shooting using a UI Button, but I have no idea about how to do for activate the fire without use InputSource. I was looking the code but I don´t found it.
    Best regards and thanks in advance.

47. Tryz

Tryz

Hey all. I spent the day in the ER yesterday. :(

Please give me a day to catch up and respond.

YCE2010 likes this.
  48. Necka_

Necka_

Hope you're fine man. Take your time, health first.

Tryz and hopeful like this.
  49. YCE2010

YCE2010

Take your day, don´t worry.
    Best regards

Tryz likes this.
  50. magique

magique

Praying you get back to good health soon. Take a break and take care of yourself and family.

FargleBargle, Tryz and hopeful like this.