Search Unity

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. recon0303

recon0303

Yes, I would agree, I been working with the new Jobs system so I can learn it, and there is a bit of learning and a bit more coding... I will say, I'm very impressed on how stable that is , but I hear it had a ways to go So I wouldn't add it all now if I were you either.. I personally don't plan to fully add it to any of our games either. I'm just trying to learn it. and keep up on it. But once Unity adds it all and everything is for sure stable, then I would consider it if I where you then of course. But other wise it would be a huge waste of your time that is for sure.

Sadly a lot of people don't understand the amount of work writing a character controller is, and one such as MC, that is a ton of work, I been writing one, for a game I been working on, and I have in the past. but that was a reason I also bought MC, so I didn't have to for one of my games lol..

the new jobs, would be a large undertaken. Main reason we aren't adding to our current games fully. That is for sure. :)

TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  2. Tryz

Tryz

You're exactly right.

That said....

Massive Update Coming!
    Unity 2017 and Unity 2018 have introduced some really cool features. I try to incorporate them as best I can, but one feature requires me to reorganize how I setup the project folders: Assembly Definition Files.

This 2017.4 and 2018 feature takes script compile times for a MC-only project from 12 seconds to 3 seconds. That's huge when you're programming your game and constantly recompiling.

Thanks to massive help from @TeagansDad , that and a new character setup wizard are coming soon.

What does this mean? It means you're going to have to delete the whole "ootii" folder and re-import all the new assets when it's time. We haven't had to do this in over a year, but in this case we have to.

Cool stuff coming! :D

3. twobob

twobob

That's great news. I've been using your system in 2018.2 so anything that supports the going-forward is fine by me.
    That said I also use it in 5.6 and will be gutted if it stop working there. assemdef is fine. Entities obviously not.

Interesting times ahead sounds like. Watchful eyeballs on this

Tryz likes this.
  4. Tryz

Tryz

Since the Asset Store supports packages based on Unity version, both will stay alive for while.

As the Unity engine evolves I just won't be able to add new features to a version that's 2 or 3 Unity revs old. Unity 5 will probably just stay as it is.

Interesting stats...
    As of June 15th, Unity 5.x represented about 15% of the regular users. Unity 4.x was about 1%.

5. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

I don't think that there would be any problems using this update in Unity 5.6. It likely won't even recognize the .asmdefs in the first place, so they can just be deleted.

I reworked some of the serialization code so that it should all work whether the ootii code is compiled into the "ootii" assembly created by the .asmdef, or if it's all in "Assembly-CSharp." There shouldn't be any hard-coded assembly names now, and while the custom types are still all serialized using their AssemblyQualifiedName, upon deserialization, I have it attempt to resolve the type using the FullName (just the namespace + class name), first from the assembly where an essential class in Framework_v1 is located, then Assembky-CSharp, then the rest of the loaded assemblies.

So everything should still work without the .asmdefs.

Tryz likes this.
  6. recon0303

recon0303

Great news.. Now this is not to criticize MC , or anyone, but when doing this.. Has the code made to be a little more simpler? I used to write the same way TIM does, but the issue I always had, if I worked with someone else, they liked MC but hated how complex the code was. Its not all this way, but some of the more simpler stuff like Projectiles, I feel can be a lot more easier than it already is. Again MC is an amazing tool.. and I was taught after years of writing code the same way, that there is easier of ways of doing things, and again small critique I hope that is something I hope is considered in the future. for MC . Again I hope I didn't offend anyone. It was something I always loved about MC as its a great tool, but I just i'm not a fan of using it with others, that aren't used to this way of coding. When I believe it can be alot more simpler than it is... Let me know how you feel about this, when you guys go to re-write MC in the future. This is the feed back I had gotten from other programmers when we used MC as a team. Some found it difficult to edit some of the easier stuff as I mentioned. and yes I know about the Events which has made it easier Thankfully for them...But just thinking out loud here. I think this also would help some of the learning curve for some of the newer, programmers and for some of those that aren't uses to the more complex way...I say complex way even though its not for many of us, but there easier ways to handle some of this. / I hope I made sense, with out offending anyone.

7. recon0303

recon0303

Good news, yes compiling sucks and even worse for larger games such as the one I been making, SO this can help. Which is nice. Thanks for the news!

Tryz likes this.
  8. recon0303

recon0303

Thanks good news, THE old one always hated me, I don't know why, some versions for me never worked, so I did it manually. So that is good to hear...I use MC a lot for test scenes even for games we are using our own controllers, so having a fast way to add MC for our Protype or DEMO games, is awesome....

Tryz likes this.
  9. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@recon0303 - can you elaborate on what is "the complex way" of writing code that you're referring to? Are there particular examples you can point to?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    recon0303 and Tryz like this.
  10. Tryz

Tryz

No code changes like that. Right now it's really just about organizing the code to work with the way Assembly Definition Files from Unity expect.

No offense taken at all. Honestly. :)

I think a lot of junior programmers tend to have the quick "I can do it faster or simpler" mindset. Reality hits them pretty quickly when they actually have to solve the full problem. I was a junior programmer once... hahaha.

What most developers don't realize is that it's different programming for "your game" vs. programming for 1000s of different games that aren't yours. You have to do things (sometimes more complex) so that people you've never met can integrate with assets you've never used for games you've never thought of.

All that said, I also realize that I don't know everything and there truly may be a better way to do things than what I've done. If there all well-thought-out ideas on how I can do things simpler (and still support all of my customers), I'm all for making the change! :D

recon0303 and TeagansDad like this.
  11. twobob

twobob

5.6 supports assemdef I believe

in other news: upload_2018-8-6_7-47-46.png
    click failed my Dampen up to 1.92 and the editor spammed down to 0 FPS in a few seconds, had to bomb it.

Here be dragons.

12. Tryz

Tryz

I'm not seeing that happen here, but as a dampening multiplier I shouldn't allow it to go above 1. I'll update the GUI to prevent that.

I use this to add some drag to the lateral forces that can be used to cause movement.

If you're curious, you can see it at ActorController.cs line 1272.

13. twobob

twobob

Thanks. it was 2018.2, should have said in-case that matters. Was testing the fancy new stuff

14. recon0303

recon0303

Well I agree but disagree. I had an old mentor, I have know for years, at a AAA studio, get on my case about making simpler code he works for NASA now, prolly the best programmer I worked with. Anyways .when working on larger groups it can be time consuming otherwise.

But I also agree that Junior ones can as well. :) I tend to keep my code a lot more simpler now a days. anyways, but for many years, I wrote my code bit differently and always had people get upset by how complex my code was, when working with some others. Some others never cared . Now that I write a lot more simpler terms, no one complains. . I figured to ask. I can work with it on my own projects either way... But with others, we just will keep it our own solution.

Thanks for the heads up:).

Anyways I just wanted to give some feed back from our experiences of using MC alone and with smaller teams.

Keep up the good work. MC is a wonderful tool. No one knows everything, we are always learning...hehe, after many years of being self taught, I switched, when I worked with others. To make life easier for others.

Tryz likes this.
  15. recon0303

recon0303

Sure I will PM you some, when I get a few mins. :)

as I don't want to turn this thread into a debate, it was more of a question, to see where its headed, since the feed back I have gotten after a few years of using MC with teams, that many hate working with some of the code, as a small example...When looking for easy things like projectiles, you have to dig for it, and some find it not as readable, or easier to use when writing, adding there own code. Now it always is harder to work with anyones code... sometimes even your own, when you have not worked with it for awhile. This is more of feed back based on readable and being able to add your own functions easily with out re-writing some stuff. again the events helps with that. So some of the feed back is older. Before the events, I got a lot more people upset by it they still liked that I used MC, but found it annoying for easy stuff like Projectiles as one small example .. But I don't want to post code example to start a debate on what is better or what isn't as that can turn that way to easy. So I will PM you some.. on my opinion of working with smaller, and larger teams.

Now I also understand, it is a bit different when working with making an asset, that is broad, and not for a certain game. So THAT is understandable...So again this was just a question to feed back, I got after working with others vs myself.

I been programming since Commodore 64 so I can read, just about anything, but I see some of what they mean. Everyone has there own way. So that is why i'm not to harsh. on some. and Tim has it well organized so that isn't a problem. For me anyways.

16. recon0303

recon0303

You do that well.:) Thanks for that.

Tryz likes this.
  17. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Anyone else having issues getting this working with 2018.2 and the .Net 4.x option?

The motion controller and camera controller import fine without errors.. but all the game objects in the demo have missing components and they don't seem to be compiling.

18. twobob

twobob

I added mine with the one click Add Component method. Work okay.

2018.2 Net 4+
    upload_2018-8-7_1-56-27.png

Attached Files:

Tryz likes this.
  19. Tryz

Tryz

I just did a full import and build of the MC and CC in a new 2018.2.1f1 project and there weren't any issues. I changed the Script Runtime Version to be .NET 4.x Equivalent too.

I was able to open the demo scenes and everything was there. I then built an EXE (for Windows) without an issue too.

TeagansDad and twobob like this.
  20. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hi @Tryz thanks for much for testing that out.

I should also mention that I have the ECS package and Burst compiler packages installed from Unity. These are the errors that I get when just importing the MC package.

Attached Files:

21. Tryz

Tryz

I'm not sure. The only thing I can guess is that the ECS or or Burst compiler package change something about what assemblies are included.

On the GitHub site for ECS, Unity says this:
    "It is important to stress that the Entity Component System is not production ready"

Those errors don't look like anything to do with the MC. Given the state of ECS, I'm guessing they have an internal issue.

22. twobob

twobob

@PyroStudios nah that's something else.
    I got that too. you can patch your Unetweaver.dll to fix it.

If you use "Unity hub" then it's in C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2018.<VER>.<VER>\Editor\Data\Managed\

I just did that.

Look here for grisly instructions

https://forum.unity.com/threads/une...ting-network-code-errors.541236/#post-3583235

To achieve this:
    upload_2018-8-7_4-34-22.png

or wait as it gets fixed in the wash, Wild speculative guess: One of the demos pulls in networking code and that is causing it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    recon0303, hopeful and Tryz like this.
  23. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Tryz I wasn't suggesting that something was wrong with MC .. I was just asking if anyone else experienced this issue under the same environment as me. I know very well that the ECS is not production ready, I can read. I was just playing around with MC in a test environment. I guess for now I can just roll with the default unity character controller for this test.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  24. Tryz

Tryz

No need to be rude. You might know, but not everyone on this public forum does.

You wrote....

Since potential customers, new customers, and people looking for support come to this thread, I have a responsibility to respond and make sure there's no confusion.

If a new person came and saw your posts, they might think my asset doesn't work in 2018.2 and they may not know what ECS is. So, I have to be clear not just for you but for everyone reading this public forum. :)

recon0303 and TeagansDad like this.
  25. recon0303

recon0303

Just wondering, but is the shooter pack still in beta?? If so is there more plans for it? Just wondering. Thanks! ( I been using it. )

26. recon0303

recon0303

Yup, I personally only use it to test stuff out and to get to know the new system but I personally won't add it to my new Steam game that is being released next year, until its production and stable ready. /cheers

Tryz likes this.
  27. recon0303

recon0303

I still refer to old threads, for issues or things I may need. I see people liking threads, 1-3 years old of mine. today one. was. So I agree this can happen. /cheers

28. Tryz

Tryz

It's probably time for me to take 'beta' off.

There's a couple of things I want to clean up, but I'd say it's done. Part of what I do with assets like this is see what people ask for. For example, I totally didn't think about grenades until someone mentioned it.

A couple of things for me to do:
    1. Bullet hole scaling fix
    2. Sniper view
    3. Different anchor for IK forward

FargleBargle likes this.
  29. Ssssilk

Ssssilk

Quick question:
    A novice here-- but trying to set up the Shooter pack. Followed the instructions here:
    https://ootiigames.com/?page_id=844

However, the part where you download Mixamo's "Pro Rifle Pack" seems to be .. different now? It now gives you a single .fbx file (I assume it contains all of the animations) instead of a zip as it states in the documentation.

So, when I put that single file into the mixamo > animations folder like suggested, I don't think it's getting the multiple files it's looking for.

Let me know if that makes sense and thanks in advance for any help someone can provide!

Quick edit here: Or if someone even has those Pro Shooter files the way Mixamo used to provide them? That might be the easies solution.

30. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @Ssssilk ,

I just followed the steps again and it gave me a .zip like my docs say.

Are you sure that the top right of the Mixamo portal says "PRO RIFLE PACK ON YBOT" (it will be all caps) before you hit the "download" button?

Make sure the download dialog from Mixamo is set with the properties I mention in the docs and you should be fine.

Format: FBX for Unity (.fbx)
    Pose: T-pose
    Frames per Second: 30
    Keyframe Reduction: none

31. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

Hey, so I'm having an issue with the Spell Editor not showing any nodes. Have you seen this before?

Capture.PNG

32. Tryz

Tryz

I've never seen it go blank like that.

I've seen Unity show garbage and the user had to close Unity and re-open and then everything showed.

I'm wondering if the spells got corrupted or something. I'd try some basic things first:
    1. Re-import the Spell Casting Motion Pack
    2. Close and re-open Unity

What version of Unity are you using?

Go ahead and email tim@ootii.com and we'll figure it out there. Thanks. :)

33. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

Not sure what happened. All the spells/animations worked, just spell editor blank. A re-import didn't fix and restarting unity didn't fix. So I completely removed the ootii folder from my project, and re-imported all your assets fresh and now its working fine. Weird. I'm using 2018.2.2f. All good now though! Thanks for the quick response

Tryz likes this.
  34. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

@Tryz - looks exactly like what happened early in the process of getting everything into Assembly Definitions. Now I'm trying to remember exactly what caused this particular issue. :)

I'll have a quick look when I get the chance.

Tryz likes this.
  35. Tryz

Tryz

You rock! :D

I've been trying different versions and imports, but no luck reproducing it yet.

36. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

:D

When I encountered the same symptoms, it was due to only looking for types in a single assembly instead of all loaded assemblies.

Doesn't sound like that would be the cause here though.

Tryz likes this.
  37. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

Quick question;

I cannot seem to get the spells to aim at the reticle, they head in the direction the camera/player is facing but do not shoot higher or lower depending on camera angle.

Any ideas?

38. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

Hi, "pro rifle pack" is downloaded, but it contains other files (meta-file names are different). Maybe this is temporary...

39. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Do you have "Release From Camera" checked on the BasicSpellcasting motion?

Tryz likes this.
  40. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

I've tried it checked and unchecked. Results are the same.

41. Tryz

Tryz

That's fine I've got extra animations there. Just follow the Shooter Motion Pack Setup steps and everything will work.

42. Tryz

Tryz

For something like this, I always go back to my demo scene. For example, I did the following:
    1. Started a new Unity 2018.1.0f2 project
    2. Imported the latest MC
    3. Imported the latest SCMP (following including the animations)
    4. Opened the demo_SpellCasting scene
    5. Setup the inputs using the button on the MC and with the SCMP setup in the packs tab
    6. Hit play
    7. With RMB held, I looked up
    8. Then, I press the "Magic Missile" button

With that, he shoots into the air towards the reticle.

Can you confirm that works?

From there, we figure out what's different with your scene. For example, my Magic Missile spell actually shoots from the "right hand". Below is for NPCs. It shoots from the right hand, but does not use the camera:

So, if your character doesn't have a "right hand" bone that could be the issue.

The Magic Missile spell also had two paths... one for NPCs where it just shoots forward and one for PCs where it shoots using the Camera Direction (as @TeagansDad mentioned). Is it possible that your character has the NPC attribute?

If my demo scene works as expected, it's really just a matter of comparing your scene setup (or new spell setup) with mine to see what's different.

43. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

@Tryz

Its very odd. The demo scene does work. The player is not tagged as NPC, i even reversed the nodes to make sure. The character has a right hand bone, and the spell and hand effects appear in the correct position. Every thing about it works correctly except the aiming. But the aiming works fine with the bow & arrow pack...

44. Tryz

Tryz

If you're using my demo character, go ahead and email me the scene file and I'll look at it tonight or tomorrow. Maybe I can see what's up. Just send it to tim@ootii.com.

45. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

So after a lot of trial and error of moving my player prefab & camera controller prefab into the demo to see what breaks it, i found out it was my camera inside my camera rig. I look at all the settings and everything matched exactly, so i deleted just the camera and created a new one. This fixed the issue! I'm not sure if there was some small setting on the camera i was missing, but its fixed now. Loving all your assets!

Tryz likes this.
  46. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

Ohh, i did want to ask about something in regards to the swimming pack. Is there anyway to set it to not allow going underwater? So they can only float on the surface?

47. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Just thought I'd mention that this NPC tag is set automatically when you create an NPC using the (upcoming) Character Wizard. :D

Tryz likes this.
  48. Tryz

Tryz

Hmmmm.... I need to poke around on that. I haven't tried to stop someone from going down.

It could be as simple as removing the Unity Input Manager key entry for going down. I'll play with it tonight.

49. Necka_

Necka_

I can confirm this fix worked (patching the Unity Weaver dll)

I'm using 2018.2 with Burst and ECS to beta test an asset on the side while keep using MC and had the same issue (no compilation error but no scripts attached to the characters in the demo scene of MC)

Now it's working fine. It's indeed not an issue with Motion controller, as @twobob explained, there must be some Unet stuff within MC that triggers this internal compiling issue. This will probably be patched in ECS, Tim doesn't have anything to do here from my point of view :)

Tryz likes this.
  50. Necka_

Necka_

Hi Tim,

I have an issue with MC in 2018.2 (tried also without Burst/ECS to be sure this isn't related and to avoid confusion with my previous post)

Each time I click on a character who has MC/AC (from a demo scene) I got a small error spam:

upload_2018-8-18_5-7-44.png

The System.String errors comes all the time in Editor mode and Play mode.
    When exiting Play mode I got the "not set to an instance of an object" error

This is in quite a clean project (just a few assets from the package manager like Cinemachine, Post Processing and also Bolt). Using Net 4.x (if it's important)

Code (CSharp):
    1. FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    2. System.Number.ParseSingle (System.String value, System.Globalization.NumberStyles options, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo numfmt) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    3. System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo info) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    4. System.Single.Parse (System.String s) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    5. com.ootii.Geometry.Vector3Ext.FromString (UnityEngine.Vector3 rThis, System.String rString) (at Assets/ootii/Framework_v1/Code/Geometry/Vector3Ext.cs:458)
    6. com.ootii.Actors.BodyShape.Deserialize (System.String rDefinition) (at Assets/ootii/Framework_v1/Code/Actors/CharacterControllers/BodyShape.cs:433)
    7. com.ootii.Actors.ActorController.DeserializeBodyShapes () (at Assets/ootii/ActorController/Code/Actors/CharacterControllers/ActorController.cs:4463)
    8. ActorControllerEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/ootii/ActorController/Code/Actors/CharacterControllers/Editor/ActorControllerEditor.cs:47)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    2. System.Number.ParseSingle (System.String value, System.Globalization.NumberStyles options, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo numfmt) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    3. System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo info) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    4. System.Single.Parse (System.String s) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    5. com.ootii.Geometry.Vector3Ext.FromString (UnityEngine.Vector3 rThis, System.String rString) (at Assets/ootii/Framework_v1/Code/Geometry/Vector3Ext.cs:458)
    6. com.ootii.Actors.BodyShape.Deserialize (System.String rDefinition) (at Assets/ootii/Framework_v1/Code/Actors/CharacterControllers/BodyShape.cs:433)
    7. com.ootii.Actors.ActorController.DeserializeBodyShapes () (at Assets/ootii/ActorController/Code/Actors/CharacterControllers/ActorController.cs:4463)
    8. com.ootii.Actors.ActorController.Start () (at Assets/ootii/ActorController/Code/Actors/CharacterControllers/ActorController.cs:1106)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. ActorControllerEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/ootii/ActorController/Code/Actors/CharacterControllers/Editor/ActorControllerEditor.cs:167)
    3. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, System.Int32 editorIndex, System.Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1374)
    4. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Sorry for the spam here. If needed I can just delete this and send you a mail as always :)

Edit: I'm using the latest version of MC from the store. I didn't try to delete the asset package from my asset folder in appdata and re download it as sometime it's broken. Will try that now just in case

Edit 2: Deleted Ootii folder in the assets of my project, deleted the full Ootii folder from the asset store download folder on my computer, downloaded again, imported MC, opened a demo scene, same errors. Empty scene give the same result while just adding MC to a Cube

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018