Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Motion Controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tryz, Feb 21, 2014.

1. eblumrich

eblumrich

Hi.

Got Motion Controller- getting it to work with bipeds was a breeze- awesome work!

However, my game's characters are cats. I have the models, the animations, the armatures, etc...

My problem:

I admit I am a relative newbie to Unity, with only about a year and a half under my belt- but I read through the docs, and watched a buncha vids, but I didn't see anything dedicated to bringing in external stuff (like my cat models/etc) and integrating them with Motion Controller.

Now- I admit: I'm probably an idiot, and it's glaring me right in the face. Can ya help me out?

Thanks again for the asset- I look forward to integrating it into my game:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/peaceisland

2. hopeful

hopeful

Just to be clear, because games can be very imaginative ... you are talking about fairly realistic, four-on-the-floor walking cats, not cartoon bipedal cats, right? :)

3. eblumrich

eblumrich

Yes.

https://imgur.com/a/a7VTi55

4. christougher

christougher

It's fairly easy to do. You can start by duplicating the animator controller for a humanoid and start swapping out the humanoid anims for your custom ones, or even just use an animator override controller I think will work. Play with walk/run/strafe or walk/run/pivot for starters.

Tryz likes this.
  5. Tryz

Tryz

@christougher is exactly right.

If you think about it in general terms, our characters all do the following: idle, walk, run, jump, etc. The skeletons and animations are just a small piece of that.

Let's start super simple...

The Basic Idle motion doesn't care what your character looks like... we're just playing an idle animation. So, copy my Humanoid.controller and rename it Cat.controller. Then, open the BasicIdle-SM sub-state machine and change the "Unarmed Idle Pose" animation from my human idle animation to your cat idle animation... and you're done. Now, you can use my Basic Idle motion for your cat.

Now, do that with the Walk Run Pivot motion (BasicWalkRunPivot-SM sub-state machine). You can do all this without any code changes.

As you get more advanced, you may want to create custom cat motions, but don't start there. Just start by replacing animations. :)

6. eblumrich

eblumrich

Hmn. that doesn't work, on my end. when I go into the substates, and bring my animations over, the field changes from whatever animation you had in there to "None (Motion)"

Perhaps I missed a bit of documentation, here- do my characters/models require a special kind of animation? Perhaps I am using an obsolete type of animation?

EDIT: Yeah- did the same with walk/strafe. No deal- the animation again changed to "None (Motion)" again.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  7. Tryz

Tryz

Just make sure you import your cat as "Generic" and not "Legacy". Unity's Mecanim and animators can't work with "Legacy" imports... I believe.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/FBXImporter-Rig.html

I know people are using the MC with dragons, wolves, snake-men, etc. Here I do it with my dog (check out 5:30):

8. eblumrich

eblumrich

K- my cat is a purchased asset. When I imported it into my scene/project, I was given no choice between generic, legacy, nor bazooka joe.

Do I need to completely delete the cat asset from my project, and re-import it, anew?

EDIT: I found out I need to go in, and change the animations over, one-by-one.

I will do so, tomorrow, and see if it works, better.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    hopeful and Tryz like this.
  9. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

I'm having an issue with the BasicWalkRunPivot motion. Because I have my own camera script, and on the server there are no cameras, I'm trying to disentangle the motion from it's RotateWithCamera - I want the rotation to come from the InputSource.
    However, when I set RotateWithCamera to false, the motion stops working altogether, and I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Any thoughts would be gratefully received here :)

10. Tryz

Tryz

Do you mean "Basic Walk Run Pivot" or "Walk Run Pivot"? I'm going to assume you mean "Walk Run Pivot" since "Basic Walk Run Pivot" doesn't have a RotateWithCamera. :D

Both of them do use the camera as a base. It's the reference point for the input when we're determining the character's walking direction. This is similar to how Assassins Creed and other action adventure games work as they allow the character to face the camera.

In this walking approach, the character is always walking "his forward" (unless he's pivoting). We then use the camera + input to determine the rotation.

The Walk Run Pivot's "Rotate With Camera" just determines if we have the character rotate with the camera movement if the player is actively moving the camera. With it unchecked, we don't use the camera movement, we use the raw mouse input to rotate the character. However, it's still relative to the camera.

On your server, I understand you don't need a camera. However, then there's no reference for the input. Walk Run Strafe is an example where the camera isn't needed and the input is all relative to the character's direction.

I hope that makes sense.

11. eblumrich

eblumrich

Okay: I went in, and made sure that my cat model rig was set to "generic." It WAS set to legacy, so we at least got THAT out of the way.

I then went into the blend trees, and brought my animations over- excellent- they show up in the proper slots, as they should! GREAT progress. I change the "walk" and "idle" animations over to the cat FBX animations- all looks good.

However, then- I hit "Play", and none of the animations play, when the character moves.

The model I am using is a purchased asset, that came with the animations attached- perhaps changing the rig itself over to "generic" was not enough? Do I need to delete, and then re-import the animations?

Thanks again for your assistance.

12. Tryz

Tryz

Let's take this over to email. I have a feeling we're just missing a step.

Go ahead and email me at tim@ootii.com. Please include a screenshot of your BasicIdle-SM, BasicWalkRunPivot-SM, and the advanced tab of the MC on your cat.

Also include your Unity Order ID for the MC. Thanks!

13. kaszperro

kaszperro

Hi,
    I'm using Unity 2018.2b1 and there are import errors. Could you please fix them?

in QuaternionExt file, there is error on line 313. .Normalize()

14. Tryz

Tryz

Odd. I'm looking at that code and there's nothing to fix. It's just using Unity's Quaternion.

Once Unity 2018 is actually released, I'll definitely make sure everything is working right. Unfortunately, doing that during betas can sometimes have me chasing my tail.

Feel free to email the full error you're seeing to tim@ootii.com.

uni7y likes this.
  15. Banksy

Banksy

regarding EASY Save - Does this allow for VR controllers ( Vive & Oculus ) ?? I have an asynchronous style game mechanic I'm developing ( Player 1 screen based / Player 2 VR based )

16. Tryz

Tryz

EASY Save isn't my asset. :)

17. Banksy

Banksy

regarding EASY INPUT - Does this allow for VR controllers ( Vive & Oculus ) ?? I have an asynchronous style game mechanic I'm developing ( Player 1 screen based / Player 2 VR based )

18. Tryz

Tryz

Unfortunately, no. Easy Input is a simple input solution that understands the keyboard, mouse, and Xbox controller.

You can use it for multiple players on one machine by customizing the input source. However, I haven't done any work with the VR controllers.

19. Necka_

Necka_

Hello,

I'd like to know what happens here:
    Image 116.jpg

I ask this because I'm testing having the possibility of having a run slash, I imported a proper animation that is using the upper body layer (this screenshot is on Layer 1, ignore all the other motions I'm not using them for this test).

I've set in a script (bolt but doesn't matter) that if the character is running and sending the L1MotionForm 101 or 102 it's using the running attack; if standing still then the character uses the regular slash and back slash (the script also disable the Attack motion on Layer 0 or 1 depending of running or not to avoid conflict)

My issue is that I can't get a proper transition from the slash to the run (it does weird movements, very fast but still it's not nice to see). If I don't put any transition, or an empty one then it's clean: the character run, slash while running and continue to run.

Issue is: then the character can't attack anymore unless he sheathe the sword and equip it again

I think the motion controller receive the information that the animator went through IdlePoseExit somewhere and tell him, ok we can attack again and that is the thing I didn't find so far

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  20. Tryz

Tryz

It looks like your "Run Attack" took over the spot of the "Back Slash". The transition from "Back Slash" to "Idle Pose Exit" is just the exit transition when the attack is done. It has an exit time of 1 (end of the "Back Slash" animation) and instantly transitions to "Idle Pose Exit" where the attack motion then ends.

That makes sense. I think I'm following.

The "Back Slash" / "Run Attack" node had a speed set to 1.4. If you didn't change that, any animation that plays there will play at 140% of the normal animation speed. That might be one thing.

That would make sense. If that transition doesn't occur, we never get to "Idle Pose Exit" and the motion is never told to stop. That "Idle Pose Exit" is really the trigger that says I'm done with the attack. Once you're done, you can do another one.

Exactly. If you look, the "Idle Pose Exit" state has a tag of "Exit". Check out the TestUpdate() function of BasicMeleeAttack.cs (line 324).

So, we really want that transition to occur. You just may need to change the Exit Time, Speed, and Transition duration of "Back Slash" / "Run Attack" so that your custom animation flows.

The other thing to be aware of is that your replacement animation may have the spine rotated a different way. I've found the spine rotations to be a bit of a nightmare with Unity's layer masks. You may find that the hips from the run (layer 0) and spine from the attack (layer 1) just aren't meshing well. It's just something you'll have to keep playing with as you customize things.

Necka_ likes this.
  21. Necka_

Necka_

God... such a simple little thing that I totally didn't see
    I did take care of the Animation events, of not replacing the backslash (might be confusing but no, it's clean animation that I've added with proper speed and so on)

So now I've just created an empty state (no animation) with the exit tag. I transitionned my run slash to it and it works perfectly, it's not blending like a "standing still" animation would do to IdlePose but as the lower body keep running, when the upper body slash is over it's smoothly going to full body run again

Thanks a lot

For the spine rotation comment, yep you're right it's a nightmare to work with that... but hey, no coding, so I'm all good here :)

Hey while I'm on this topic I got a quick question regarding custom animation and probably custom motions in this case.

I watched all your three videos with the custom Axe and this part is very easy to deal with as it's still a 1 hand axe + Shield.

If I want to use let say a dual handed sword. Should I duplicate the Basic Attack motion (rename it) and create a whole new Animator Sub State called like "BasicAttack2H-SM" as it has everything different (idle, walk/run and so on) or will it work by simply adding those animation with their own Forms into the existing Animator States?

The IDLE/Basic walk/run are fine to use with adding states with motion form like you did for Bow/Rifle and so on. But for the attacks themselves I guess that will be an issue as I'd end up with a lot of attack styles etc. But if there are no counter-indication then I'll go the simple way of course. It's just that I'm not sure that duplicating the BasicAttack script will not create some kind of errors

22. Tryz

Tryz

I'm glad you're moving forward. :D

For a non-animator like me, that's the worst.

I don't think you should have to duplicated the Basic Melee Attack (BMA). Since dual wielding really is just an animation effect, it would simply be another style. It wouldn't be a new motion or a new sub-state machine.

Exactly.

Just like I do it in Basic Idle and Basic Walk Run Pivot, you'd do it with BMA. You're definitely right about there being a lot of attack styles. So, that sub-state machine can get a bit hairy, but it's really just repetitive.

I think the tough part is the attack styles in the BMA motion UI itself. As you said, there will be a lot of them and they won't all be valid for the weapon set you have equipped (sword + shield, sword + sword, bow, etc). @TeagansDad had a really smart approach where he cleared and reset the attack styles when the weapon set is equipped. I'll probably steal that in the future, but for now it's just a matter of your reactor knowing which attack styles it can and can't choose based on the weapon set that is active.

I hope that all makes sense.

23. Necka_

Necka_

Thanks a lot, I understand it and just for the Weapon Style part, I think it should be ok as I'm mostly working with reactors in this case, so I kind of control what attack style I want for which weapon, it's a bit of manual prep work though and I'll have to integrate all that with Inventory Pro which I didn't configure yet :)

But thanks, then that's positive as it is a simpler non coding way to go for having different weapons, will work on that now

Tryz likes this.
  24. Banksy

Banksy

Just loaded Spell Casting Pack & it deleted all other Ootii components on my character :( including Motion Controller, & Archery... I followed the tutorial ( note: after purchase I went to the web site where it states all assets are listed but no Archery or Spell casting is listed on Ootii Main web page ) Would be a bummer experience for a newbie. I hope to have it loaded shortly. Will report back on my progress

25. Tryz

Tryz

Wow. I've never seen it do that before.

I can't think of any reason it would. I'm testing now...

[EDIT]
    I just took a 2017.3.0f3 project from February that had the MC + the Archery MP in it and imported the Spell Casting MP. Everything was fine.

I did the following:

1. Opened the archery demo scene
    2. Confirmed it ran with the older version of the MC and AMP
    3. Downloaded and imported the SCMP
    4. Import was successful and the none of the ootii components were deleted

5. Updated and imported the latest MC
    6. Import was successful and everything was fine

7. Updated and imported the latest AMP
    8. Import was successful and everything was fine

Can you list out the steps you did and what version of Unity you're using?

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  26. Banksy

Banksy

I followed the intial setup in which I had to DL the Mixamo spell casting MoCAp moves and then unzipped to the Mixamo Folder. I then DL the SpellCAsting.meta zip as well and added that to the same folder.. it said they alreayd existed and if I'd like to overwrite them so I did. I then re-started Unity and all gone. :(

note: I have a back-up so I'll reload my project & try again.

Tryz likes this.
  27. Banksy

Banksy

BTW.. We have several motion capture suits here at work. We can generate some archery / sword moves and send them to you ( can package them into your asset(s) - alleviating any requirements for Mixamo )

TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  28. Tryz

Tryz

I'll keep playing with it.

I've never heard of it happening before, but maybe Unity just flushed the whole object.

29. Tryz

Tryz

Wow... That would be awesome.

I tried using my Kinect a while back, but the animations we're a mess... Inverted feet, jittery knees, etc. I'm a way better coder than animator. ;)

30. Banksy

Banksy

ok.. well message me an animation playlist. For each character. I presume you would like each move to start from a T-Pose or hands down beside ?... FBX

[EDIT} my problem wasnot associated with Ootii Assets... it was Unity bug. Almost all the scripts in my project suddenly threw an error.
    " The associated script can not be loaded , please fix any compile errors and run again "
    There was a single error in a line of code.. that error sent all other scripts to display errors.

Ootii components are back.. mmm the sweet smell of orange component headers

rubble1, TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  31. Necka_

Necka_

When you sometime have one script compiler error it will prevent Unity to compile the other scripts which leads to having "empty" components everywhere; I scared myself more than once with that... Once the error resolved then everything comes back like it was before

hopeful and Tryz like this.
  32. Banksy

Banksy

yup.... sure scared the crap outa me

Tryz likes this.
  33. Tryz

Tryz

hahahaha... :D

That rocks!

I'll get a short list together and PM you.

If you're willing to do it, I'll give you all my assets as a way of saying thanks. :)

TeagansDad and Necka_ like this.
  34. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

I find it hard to believe that anyone using Unity does not already own them all.:)

TeagansDad and Tryz like this.
  35. Tryz

Tryz

(one 'like' wasn't enough) ;)

TeagansDad likes this.
  36. Paulrld

Paulrld

Hi,

I got a character moving using the walk run twitch(WalkRunTwitch.cs) from the vault. I want to remove the root motion completely. I removed all the code in UpdateRootMotion and replaced it with rMovement = Vector3.zero. The character moves a small delta when WASD is pressed. I was expecting the character not to move at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

37. Banksy

Banksy

@Ottii - Just a recognition within the asset or site would be great. (However you feel fit )
    I already own 90% of your creations.

Soon I'll be setting up Ai Behaviors for my NPCs That my next task.. in between I'll get the moves generated & sent.

TeagansDad likes this.
  38. Tryz

Tryz

Hey @Paulrld ,

What you said about replacing the contents of UpdateRootMotion with rMovement = Vector3.zero is right. In fact, I just did the same thing.

What's odd is that my character isn't moving at all. He animates, but there's no position change as we'd expect.

I've only setup the Idle, Walk Run Twitch, and Fall motions in my MC. What motions are you using?

The only thing I can think is that maybe there's transition that is finishing after the Walk Run Twitch motion ends and as the animator finishes the transition, you're seeing movement.

Did you change the animations or the animator at all?

39. Paulrld

Paulrld

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't change any animations on the animator at all. I tried again in a blank project and replaced the contents of UpdateRootMotion with rMovement = Vector3.zero.

I opened the demo_Attributes project and added the WalkRunTwitch motion with all the other motions disabled.

I uploaded my results in a video:

I held the W key down and released to see any changes. On the first W key down the character animates and stays in place. I checked the transform to be sure and it stays at 0.

However, after the first W key down, the character starts moving forward when WASD is pressed, the transform shows some movement.

I am using Unity 2018.0b13.
    I get the same results in Unity 2017.1f1.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  40. Tryz

Tryz

Thanks for the steps. I was able to duplicate it.

It's because you don't have an idle motion enabled (ie Basic Idle). The idle motion is the default motion when other motions (like Walk Run Strafe) aren't active. It then forces the animator to the idle animation.

Without that, the animator is left in an odd state. That means the motion isn't really activated yet even though the animation starts. It's off by a fraction of a second.

Just check the Basic Idle motion and it works.

41. Banksy

Banksy

Developing a co-op game ( PC & a V.R player.) I'm busy setting up the "Camera Controller" on my character with Motion / Archery & Mount points.

My ISSUE -- I create the Camea Controller (in an empty game object. I set the Anchor & input Source then hit 3rd Person.... I change camera to display 2 in viewport (as display 1 is for VR player) I can follow the 3rd Person view of a character but the headset now blanks out.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  42. Tryz

Tryz

This wouldn't be anything with the Camera Controller.

The Camera Controller is a "rig". That means it moves and rotates the camera, but it doesn't do anything (except zoom) with the "lens". The lens is the Camera component typically on the "Main Camera" GameObject.

The Camera Controller doesn't care what you set the display to and it won't touch that setting either. It doesn't matter to moving or rotating the camera.

You must have another issue.

43. Banksy

Banksy

I think I found the issue... I can only view one view at a time. (switching between Display 1 & Display 2 now shows both ) might need a second monitor ?

Tryz likes this.
  44. Tryz

Tryz

What's Tim working on?

With Unity 2018 officially released, I thought it would be good to talk about what I'm working on and what's coming.

1. I'm making some major changes to the structure of all my assets in order to take advantage of Unity's new Assembly Definition files. This will reduce compile time when developing our games as it will move all my assets into a segmented area.

2. I'm refactoring some code to make things even more modular and to address some issue that we've talked about here on the forums (ie Attack Styles for multiple weapon types)

3. I'm working on a new A.I. asset. While there are some cool assets on the store already, I've got some ideas on a different approach and I want to leverage Unity 2018's new features. I think the result will really take our games to the next level.

I don't have a time for all this yet as I'm planning things out, but I wanted to make sure everyone knew that things were continuing to move forward.

Expect some cool new updates and changes. I'll share more when I can.

:D

andonsky, rubble1, recon0303 and 6 others like this.
  45. Necka_

Necka_

You forgot

4. Hire TeagansDad to make some awesome tutorial for doing cool stuff like creating dual wielded weapon motions, InventoryPro and spells management and earning more medals than ever

Oops, sorry I just woke up from my dream and keep struggling with those :D

I'm glad MC will continue to evolve, one of my best Unity investment so far (and I admit I bought Opsive some weeks ago and give up on it as quickly as I wasted my money because of how not modular it is to me compared to MC), keep it up Tim!

tchris, Tryz and TeagansDad like this.
  46. christougher

christougher

Sooooo, are you by chance talking abut about the c# job system?

Tryz likes this.
  47. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

I just picked up some of Kubolds animations on sale today.

Longsword Animset Pro
    Female Animset Pro
    Sword and Shield Animset Pro
    Sword Animset Pro

I thought i remember reading that someone was developing motion packs for some of these at least and was going to share. Does anyone remember who? And if you are reading this are you still able to share them so I at least have a base to go off of? I could probably use the Movement Animset Pro pack on the Ootii website and just switch out anims with the female one.

Thanks!

TeagansDad likes this.
  48. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

That would be me. :) All of the packs you listed are covered. So you'll make a great test subject...

I'll PM you a link to the most recent version. There's quite a bit to the packs, especially when everything is combined, and I haven't written proper documentation, so that why I'm not publicly linking it yet. Trying to keep the number of radically different versions out there to a minimum. :cool:

Don't use my MAP motion pack that is currently on the Vault. It works, but it pre-dates the "Basic" motion paradigm and thus doesn't integrate into that. The new stuff all uses the "Basic" motions.

The old MAP set does uses start/stop transitions and 90/180 turn animations though.

Tryz likes this.
  49. eblumrich

eblumrich

Hey- for some reason, ever since I installed the Character Controller- the mouse cursor will not disappear on play.

Is there any way to just remove the cursor?

-Thanks!

50. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

Add a Game Core component to the scene (if one doesn't already exist). There's a checkbox on it to hide the cursor.

Tryz likes this.