Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Motion blur bug

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by id0, Apr 28, 2018.

1. id0

id0

I have noticed that motion blur (in post process from HD pipeline) acting strange. For example: this door on screenshot was opened long ago and now motionless, but it still blurry. Why is that happening? 2018-04-28 12-16-46.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  2. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Are you sure that it does not move? Select it in the hierarchy and see if there are small jumps in the transform (or, perhaps, in one of the parent objects)

3. id0

id0

Yes, I'm sure. It was animation, and it ends. And it happen all the time, animations, physic objects, etc.

4. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Do you have Enable MotionVector For Vertex Animation enabled on the material for the door? That might be what's causing it to blur/ghost if not enabled.

5. id0

id0

It did not help.

6. Karearea

Karearea

I recall a few bug reports on this earlier- it seems to be a known issue.

I have an origin reset system that causes most of my scene to stay blurred after it has triggered, a few users were speaking of procgen scenes having the same issue for example. A door opening rapidly sounds like a similar use case (especially if it goes from closed to open instantaneously).

TakuanDaikon and id0 like this.
  7. Karearea

Karearea

Had another look at this for the first time in a while- try setting the motion vectors on the mesh renderer itself to 'camera motion only'

Obviously you might want a door to blur while animating, but this at least solves the residual blurring bug for me.

MattMurch and id0 like this.
  8. id0

id0

Thanks for the tip.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This seems like a valid bug. Doing the camera motion only thing basically is a hack and won't work for other things you might want blurring. Hopefully Unity is aware.

10. hogwash

hogwash

@id0 What version of Unity are you using? We are experiencing a similar issue with 2018.1.0f2

11. id0

id0

I'm on last beta, but I don't know if this bug still there. But it's not a unity version sfuff, it's a Post processing bug.

P.S. Ok, I revert this door on 'Per object motion' and test it, and it seems like everything fine, so probably they fixed it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  12. WSCProductions

WSCProductions

For me, setting the door (and all its objects) to 'Per Object Motion' did not help me.
    The only fix I found for this is to apply all the child-objects (and the object itself) to 'Force No Motion'.

If you just googled how to fix this and don't know where you can change these settings, in the Inspector Panel you should find a Mesh Renderer component which has an option called 'Motion Vectors'. You change that option to 'Per Object Motion'. If that doesn't work, try changing it to 'Force No Motion'.

13. elbows

elbows

I dont remember any details but I certainly saw some motion vector fixes in the HD pipeline github commits in the last month or so.

Also, there is at least one fix mentioned in the HDRP changelog for 2.0.1-preview:

• Fix discrepency between object motion vector and camera motion vector
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...render-pipelines.high-definition/CHANGELOG.md

id0 likes this.
  14. DerDicke

DerDicke

Just experimenting with Motion Blur but it doesn't seem to work correctly.
    There is a blur effect, but its very subtle, not really visible in game. Also there is no factor to adjust the strength of the effect. I'm on Unity 2018.2, Standard render pipe, deferred. Here is a pic:
    upload_2019-2-11_17-38-42.png

15. DerDicke

DerDicke

Played a bit around with the settings and was able to produce a visible MB.
    But no way to get this super-exaggerated MB that holds a split seconds after movement that you can get in Unreal engine. Not good, but must be enough.

16. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Motion Blur is controlled from the Post Processing Stack, there you can adjust the settings to get your desired effect. upload_2019-2-11_14-15-12.png

17. DerDicke

DerDicke

Is this post-processing volume- thing still valid?
    I thought we have 'official' post processing behavior needing post processing profile now. I'm confused.

18. id0

id0

No, after versions about 5.3.1 HDRP have v3 post process inside. But still there is similar motion blur settings.

19. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

In your reply you mentioned you're using the "Standard Render Pipeline"

That sounds like you're using the default render pipeline but if you aren't heres the post processing each pipeline uses. The Default Render Pipeline, LWRP, and HDRP versions 5.2.x and under (as mentioned above) all use Post processing V2. The default Render Pipeline can also use Post Processing V1 but that's the outdated stack.