Search Unity

Motherboard error code 00 on some Unity games.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Aram-Azhari, Dec 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aram-Azhari

Aram-Azhari

Hello,

Please note that I am writing here as the last resort as I have already tried everything one could try and unfortunately the last common factor is Unity. @Mods please move this to the right section if needed.

I have been getting Motherboard error 00 (basically meaning motherboard has no clue what but something's wrong) when playing some Unity games randomly, namely Nimbatus and Dyson Sphere Program.

The screen goes black, the fans run high and there's no way to recover other than using the hardware button on the power.

No BSODs, Nothing in EventViewer, Nothing in the Game logs other than the power shutdown that i did manually.

I have scoured the internet and only a few people have encountered this, all of them have AMD cpus of different models from different times and are reporting that it is specific to Unity games. No one else has this issue. I have RMAed the CPU 3 times (yes, 3 times and i paid the postage fee). I have swapped the motherboard. I have bought a new PSU. I have installed a fresh version of windows just with latest drivers, latest BIOS etc. I have bought new ram and finally i tested with my old GPU (both Nvidia) and the issue still happens.

I contacted MSI for the motherboard and since i read on google that someone had an issue with Mystic Light as part of Dragon Center they suggested to uninstall that but I'm still getting the issue.

The issue is very very specific but it doesn't always happen. When it does, it is when i click on the button to load a level (in both games).

I guess this is a coincidence but both are compiled against 2018.4
    https://imgur.com/a/73WXGZm

It seems that so far only AMD cpu users are getting this.
    Note that it's not happening with any benchmark program, and it doesn't happen in high CPU or high GPU usage. It merely happens when loading a save or loading the next level.

Other things that I've tried:
    - Running those games in a virtual machine on the same system : fine.
    - Running those games on my old PC which is Intel : fine.
    - Contacting those game developers, suggested asking Unity.
    - Installing the game on another location (SSD vs HDD): still happening.
    - Moving the page file location to another disk: still happening.

This isn't the kind of bug that i would report for voting as it will never ever get enough people to have the issue.

Does Unity scene loading have some special code with intrinsics or anything weird that could be causing this?

if not, there is honestly no way for me as the end user to investigate this further as I've tried all the hardware changes and software ones as far as I'm concerned.

My Computer Specs:
    AMD 5950x (First time AMD, I'm starting to regret it because of this issue)
    MSI B550 Unify
    Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
    G.Skill DDR4 3600mhz 32GB
    Zotac RTX 2080 Ti

p.s Please be nice, if you have nothing helpful to say, I appreciate if you refrain from responding. There's enough of those posts going around.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

There is no proper forum for this. You need to contact the game developers. This forum is for game development, not game support. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.