Search Unity

Most stable Unity version for UI on mobile?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Paniku, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Paniku

Paniku

I've read (and experienced) a lot of performance problems on the latest Unity version. I'm looking to downgrade to a more stable version but I'm not sure which. Does anyone have an idea? UI performance for mobile is the most important factor.

2. mogwhy

mogwhy

last working ui for me was 5.1.4 (september 2015) where you keep 60fps when scrolling on ios for example
    on 5.3.1p3 it drops under 30fps sometimes 15 fps
    filed a bug but i m not a pro user so ... dont know whats gonna happen
    textmesh pro didnt help with my special scrollrect performance problem..
    also the enhanced scroller asset doesnt help at the moment.
    its a unity thing at the moment and those assets usually improv the performance a lot.

i m using 531p3 anyway because of the iap which is pretty nice :)
    still having faith that the next patch will fix UI

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  3. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Please reach out to me via email or PM in terms of any potential performance issues you might have with TextMeshPro.

Although the TextMeshPro UI component which works with the Canvas system has certain limitations imposed to it by such system, it should outperform the Unity UI.Text component in almost all aspects.

Again please reach out to me and I will be more than happy to work with you to figure out what's going on and how to get you the best performance possible. I am here to help.

BTW: Unity switched to their new OpenGL core in 5.2 which currently has some performance issues on some platforms / devices which is most likely why you are seeing a performance decrease between 5.1 and 5.2 / 5.3. The good news is they are aware of it and will no doubt get this performance regression handled in coming releases.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  4. mogwhy

mogwhy

Thank you for the offer, but there is nothing we can do at the moment.
    I just got informed that Unity will add the scrollrect fix in a patch release for 5.3 *happybeing*
    (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-5-3-ui-bugs.373234/#post-2467324 - jipiiiii)

I'm just using simple text without any specials (not even bold,...) so I was a little bit sad that TextMeshPro wasn't the solution to my performance problem with the scrollrect.

@StephanB:

5. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Is the flicker bug the issue you are having or performance issue related to the ScrollRect?

In terms of TextMeshPro, besides improved text rendering, TextMesh Pro offers a ton of other features in terms of text formatting, over 30 + rich text tags and should still provide improve performance in most cases. When / if you have the time, I still would like to figure out if there is anything I can do to help you in terms of the performance issues (with Unity and all) that you are having. Just PM me whenever if you want.