Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Most Performant/Optimized 2D Skeletal Animation system for Unity right now?

Discussion in '2D' started by graphicsayy97, Mar 30, 2021.

1. graphicsayy97

graphicsayy97

Hello,

I'm trying to make a game with 2D animations that also work with physics colliders.

But the skeleton renderer in unity isn't the best performance, I get around it by managing and pooling entities but I am wondering what is THE BEST tool for 2D animation/runtime in Unity right now,

is it just in-house native solutions built on modified box2d or custom inverse kinetic/custom physics, compiled to .dll or something and simply called in code using command hooks?

or should I be focusing on Anima2D package?

or do I focus solely on the 2D Animation package?

I'm trying to save time by focusing on one avenue for using my skeletal animations with my characters and blender them with physics using delayed update/fake physics/kinematics.. but the skeletal component seems to be a serious CPU bottle-neck within Unity per game object unless you rewrote a custom one using native or compiled language and simply called its structure from some pre-built binary language format.

I saw some games such as Zombitron and Intrusion 2, and wanted to see whats the most optimized to reach similar heights. Even games like Barotrauma seems pretty limited in total active physics dolls in scene.

I am almost tempted to use Puppetmaster and simply constrain the axis... since I own that. What do you guys do when faced in the similar situation?

2. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello @graphicsayy97
    Anima2D is a deprecated package, and should not be used for newer productions. My advice is for you to use 2D Animation for skeletal animation.

In your question, you are mixing Physics and Animation quite a lot. Just to clarify, what component/system seems to be "a serious CPU bottle-neck"? Which component does "skeletal component" refer to?