Search Unity

Most LUT's outdated?

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by bvonline, Feb 28, 2022.

1. bvonline

bvonline

Hi,

I still did not work with LUTs. But I saw, most of the published LUTs are quite old (latest I am interested in are from 2016).

So, can these old LUTs used in Unity 2020x or newer?

I am about buying one of these:

- Lutify
    - Color Grading Pack [LUT]
    - Cinematic LUT Pack
    - 100+ Cinematic Post Processing Profiles
    - 160 Cinematic LUTs Pack

Thanks in advance!

2. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Do mean these sort of LUT strips?
    NeutralLdrLut.png

They're in LDR format (as opposed to HDR), so may cause banding artifacts when used with an HDRI skybox. But in my experience, issues are few.

The Post Processing system (Built-in RP) Color Grading effect accepts LDR LUT's:

In URP, there's a "Color Lookup" effect that does the same.

HDRP probably only supports 3D log-encoded LUT's (HDR). I haven't seen anyone offer these, as they're more complex to create.

3. bvonline

bvonline

I am relating to the assets I wrote, with seem to contain these kind of strips you mention - so, I think the answer is "yes".

I am about to use LUTs for URP. Which kind of issues might occur according to your experience? Especially when thinking about older LUTs.

4. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I don't think any, they're a perfectly valid option to use. I've only seen the color banding I mentioned with HDRI skyboxes (.exr image files), but any other type of skybox pans out fine.

Safe to give it a go! I've personally been using LDR LUT's for years now :)

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Does it accept different sized strips as well? AFAIK the LUTs in Lutify etc are much smaller and upside down.

upload_2022-2-28_21-57-26.png

6. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Looking at the shader code, it appears so. The width/height of the LUT is passed on, and taking into account when decoding it. But if they're upside down, that would be an issue.

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Eh, that's not too bad of width is accounted for, worst case scenario you make a macro on photoshop / affinity whatever and flip them.

8. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Best way to check is just to plug them in and see what happens. Color banding (if you see it at all) really shouldn't happen with 2D LUTs 1024px or larger, even with HDRI skies, if it's a properly made LUT. If it does, a touch of dithering will fix it for you.