Search Unity

Most difficult game that you have ever played?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korno, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Korno

Korno

So today I decided to replay Dark Souls and I realized it is probably the hardest game I have ever played. That and Golden Eye on the n64 on 007 difficulty.

Anyone got any more horribly difficult game recommendations? I feel like throwing a controller through a TV or biting my game disc in half.

karl_jones and Meltdown like this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Dwarf Fortress.

Philip-Rowlands, Debhon and Korno like this.
  3. Korno

Korno

Yeah I have heard things about this game. It is on my list.

4. 3agle

3agle

X-COM: Terror from the Deep
    I now fear the sea.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Any decent infinite runner gets pretty hard a couple of minutes in. ;)

Korno likes this.
  6. Debhon

Debhon

One of my favourite games, until you wake up the demons under ground for fist time. There you can only cry for your dwarfs.

Another one Aurora, "the Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games"

7. pk_Holzbaum

pk_Holzbaum

Definitely 'I wanna be the guy'. Even on easy mode I never beat more than 1/3 of the game.

8. LaneFox

LaneFox

XCOM:EU on Ironman Impossible.

aer0ace and karl_jones like this.
  9. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Catherine probably, on normal difficulty if I remember correctly. I'll play it on hardest sometime in the future. :)

10. jerotas

jerotas

Sini-Star (1983). Damn that thing sucked quarters out of everyone with super efficiency!

Ony likes this.
  11. Meltdown

Meltdown

I've seen and played a lot of games in my life, but I'm sorry, for difficulty, this little Flash game takes the cake.

All you have to do is get the athlete to run along the track.

http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

Sounds simple right?

sluice, GarBenjamin and Kiwasi like this.
  12. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If we are talking about bumping up to the highest difficulty I still have yet to beat pandemic with four players in heroic difficulty mode.

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Such a good game.
    I had it on Playstation and a single game save took up an entire 15 block memory card o_O

3agle likes this.
  14. Ony

Ony

Defender (arcade)

15. aer0ace

aer0ace

F-Zero GX

16. Arowx

Arowx

Elite (never made it to Elite status), Starcraft AI on high settings, or Half Lifes going platformer in the last level.

17. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I guess since I dont play hard games - hotline miami

18. delinx32

delinx32

ninja gaiden (nes version) with no save states.

19. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Lotto.

Dont think ive ever won. stupid.

Jamster, HemiMG, aer0ace and 4 others like this.
  20. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Jak II on PS2. Had a surprising number of I-want-to-pull-my-hair-out-now moments.

Tiny-Man and calmcarrots like this.
  21. SteveJ

SteveJ

I think Spelunky is probably one of the hardest games I've ever played (i.e. to progress far in), but it's also one of the most enjoyable and rewarding games I've ever played.

I find games like Dark Souls to be frustrating and unrewarding.

It's a very fine line.

22. ippdev

ippdev

Chess.

Ony and Kiwasi like this.
  23. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Yeah it seemed like it would be fairly straightforward.

Took me 5 minutes of tries just to hit this:

I'll have to give it another try sometime.

Meltdown and Kiwasi like this.
  24. cyberpunk

cyberpunk

Spiderman and the X-Men, Super Nintendo.

25. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Debhon likes this.
  26. Meltdown

Meltdown

27. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Depends on which level you play though... wouldn't wanna try the Deep blue level...

Otherwise ghost and goblins, Rick dangerous and the first lost planet. Gosh I tried the hard difficulty level and never managed to beat the crap out of this damn first boss... 45 mn of frustration, spawning surviving 20 seconds and dying... re did it in easy mode...
    Back in the late 80s games could be really hard... xenon 2, rabio lepus special too... never finished those....

28. Kronnect

Kronnect

Abu Simbel Profanation on ZX Spectrum :rolleyes:

PROTOFACTOR_Inc likes this.
  29. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I was playing heroic forever without winning and didnt realize we misread the rules. We played one game of basic and won on the first try. Then we took heroic with three players in about two attempts after that.

Never four though...

Oh, and hardest game?

Mad Max on C64. The game was a scam and didn't load because there was no game on the disc. Bought it at Babages in the late 80s. Jackasses.

30. jerotas

jerotas

Ninja Gaiden, Rick Dangerous, Xenon 2, Ghosts and Goblins, Zanac, Blood Money, Section Z - I beat all those. Numerous times. They were all pretty hard though.

I agree with that damn flash running game hahaha.

PROTOFACTOR_Inc likes this.
  31. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Dude! you're my hero! :)

jerotas likes this.
  32. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme

33. sluice

sluice

Wow! That is one frustrating little game!
    The frustration / "5 min addiction" it creates in me reminds me of Flappy Bird!

34. Xenoun

Xenoun

I've always thought the Dark Souls difficulty was over rated...seems more artificial, once you get used to the way it controls the game becomes much easier.

For the hardest games I always look back to my childhood playing the NES. Battletoads was one I never managed to pass..even if I cheated to start in the final area. There was also a star wars RPG with a millennium falcon vs tie fighter fight in the middle of it that I never managed to get past.

35. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I think Dark Souls difficulty is more of a novelty in today's market. Its not that big of a deal in the context of all games throughout history.

So many modern games spoon feed the player. Literally popping up with the required key press on screen in very bright colours. Dangerous areas are locked until you have all of the required gear and level to win them. Tutorial hints pop up every time you fail a task. Some even auto reduce the challenge difficulty based on how many times you have failed. If this is the only type of game you have player, Dark Souls seems very difficult indeed.

36. Xenoun

Xenoun

Yeah, but I guess all game difficulties are then relativistic. If it's outside of your experience so far and much harder than other games you've been playing then you'll naturally say it's a hard game.

Dark Souls is rated as extremely difficult by the gaming community in general though but to me it just felt like it was hard to a point and then all the roadblocks fall out the way and it gets a lot easier, end up 1 shotting bosses etc.

I still remember hearing about the game from a work colleague who was describing black knights as incredibly hard and having to go through all the respawns every time he died. Don't think he ever made it out of Undead Burg because the game was that hard for him. His next sentence was about Batman Arkum whatever though which I've never played but I'd say is much easier in comparison.

Kiwasi likes this.
  37. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I spent hours killing my first Black Knight. Eventually I got the hang of it and now they barely bother me. Each new enemy I encountered went through much the same cycle. First I get hammered. Then I figure out the way they fight. Then they become pretty mindless grind fodder.

Eventually I got bored and moved onto another game. I didn't actually finish Dark Souls, but I got the pattern of the game down to the point that I've extracted most of its entertainment value.

38. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

That is one of the major faults of the game, that it's too easy to play it without skill. It's easy to clock in to patterns and wait patiently for the openings. The actual skills of the game are pretty much limited only to PvP. Then there is also that you can count on a hand all the times where the environment dictates any differing tactics, and Anor Londo probably has most of them.

50% of the difficulty is just because of the lack of explanations and misdirection (like being under the misnomer that dodging is supposed to be spacial), 40% is just being patient and locking into the pacing, while the last 10% is just trolling. The real issue is most of it is front loaded when you don't know how to play.

Kiwasi likes this.
  39. Korno

Korno

Screw this game. Screw this game so much.

Just one more go.....

Meltdown likes this.
  40. ensiferum888

ensiferum888

Legacy of the Wizard on NES was the Dwarf Fortress of platformers, as I kid I accidently rented that game at the video store and had the worst weekend in my childhood.

I completely forgot about this game and watched a speed run a few months ago on youtube, I have no idea what's going on.

41. ironbellystudios

ironbellystudios

Bug Princess. Just watch this video...

Stupid. Just stupid. Also it is coming to Steam PC in like 1-2 months.

42. simplygamer

simplygamer

LOL i remember this game, so difficult and funny i cant even cross 1.5m X_X

For me the most difficult game i've came across lately is Gravity cat adventure on mobile. That freak control is driving me crazy @——@

43. Kryger

Kryger

Phantasie 3 was pretty difficult. It took a while to create a party and then only a couple of minutes later monsters cut their limbs off like a piece of salami. The monsters were of course invisible on the travel map. I later learned that it is best to repeatedly circle around the starting town at first so you have a chance to get some experience.

44. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

thing that made dark souls hard imo was that you died, you went back to the start.

Everyones alive again... farrrrkkkk... very frustrating. Didnt play long.

45. Xenoun

Xenoun

That's only frustrating until you get to the point that you either realise you can run past pretty much every enemy in the game or you've killed them enough times that they become trivial. Dark Souls 2 made this a bit easier by deleting the spawn if you killed that enemy a certain number of times.

46. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

Unity...... I never won :(

47. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

and to be serious halo (in legendary)

48. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

Megaman Zero in hard mode...

Alternatively I did once try playing Hat Fortress 2 with a flight sim joystick.

49. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

The hexagon game where you revolve around a circle and try not to hit the incoming surfaces ... some famous indie guy released it not long ago... I was hopeless at it. I also can't seem to get very far on `race the sun`, not much beyond level 2. And then there's flappy bird.