Search Unity

Most annoying thing about Unity, ever.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zergling103, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Zergling103

Zergling103

> Modifies prefab.
    > Presses [Apply].
    > Unity crashes.
    > Modifications are gone.

oh god why.

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Most annoying thing about Unity ever?

prefabs.

I only use very basic prefabs in my game (and most of them are particle systems/line renderers/etc). The rest is generated via script.

That way I never lose any progress due to corrupted/lost prefabs. I lost an entire fleet of vehicles early on in development when my scene went bung and it took all my prefabs along for the ride.

3. AaronC

AaronC

You guys know about the EditModeScene file, right?

4. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

My only complaint is that it's a little slow sometimes. And Monobehavior for mac takes up way to much process time.

5. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Probably would have been helpful once upon a time, but I prefer my current style, which means I dont have to go looking for temp files if I manage to mangle my scene.

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Slow cloth simulation and no real time GI... Light Probes are meh

7. Khyrid

Khyrid

I make a backup of my whole asset folder every now and then.

8. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

The thing about prefabs that I find the most problematic is the lack of nested prefabs.

9. squared55

squared55

The thing that bugs me about prefabs is the fact that you can't break the connection on one variable. For example, if I have a location I want an enemy to defend (which is marked by a transform), I can't alter it's movement speed without breaking the defense area. Have to create a separate script on a separate game object which applies the defense location at runtime.

10. drewradley

drewradley

For me it's when I accidentally hit the wrong hot key like ctrl b instead of v. My kingdom for a yes or no question before starting a build!

11. Instability

Instability

That there is no "save progress made in play mode" button. I think no matter how long you use Unity you will keep making that mistake ;) I know I do.

12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Ugh... MonoDevelop is just plain silly on the Mac, nothing should run that slow. I highly suggest TextMate2. It's open source and integrates nicely with Unity.

13. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

ah! That's what the program is! :)

I just turned my Monodevelop into this theme!

Thanks a bunch!

14. chingwa

chingwa

There are a lot of little things that annoy me about Unity, but this may be the biggest. The thing is, it isn't always practical or feasible to tweak all settings when not in game mode, you often need to adjust how one component works alongside another. Having to write down the changes I make, or take screenshots of my editor windows, only to remake them back in editor mode is a definite productivity killer (and overall downer!)

15. XGundam05

XGundam05

This. This right here.

16. meta87

meta87

Not free, but I recently started usingPlayModePersist and its works really well. Definitely increased my productivity.

17. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Been there. Done that. And I agree!
    Gigi

18. Jacksendary

Jacksendary

hmmm... Most annoying thing... I'd say the current GUI system...

19. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I love working with Unity, for the most part. As for annoying...I just think UT needs to be more engaged with their community and customers.

20. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

32-bit

21. Kinos141

Kinos141

Never had that problem before, will keep an eye out from now on.

22. daisySa

daisySa

+1.

I've found that saving regularly (i.e. every 5-10 minutes) seems to heavily reduce the incidence of out of memory crashes, but I really shouldn't have to do this…

Nothing else annoying though, Unity is wonderful!

23. skoandi

skoandi

Monodevelop is soooo slow! Takes a few seconds to open up a simple script... And no other IDE's have semantic (or whatever it's called) highlighting for unity specific C#!

24. landon912

landon912

You just have to click SyncMonoBehavour under edit and it will do all the unity stuff and more.(At least in VS)

25. fano_linux

fano_linux

reimport more than 3 times the same assets it has already imported. :confused:

26. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Heh, it only happened once, but, if you are silly enough to put a infinite loop in your code, you could easily repeat the process again.

That's something that also annoys me, a few times in the past I inadvertently put an infinite loop into my scripts.

27. DallonF

DallonF

Physics. Ugh physics. I don't want realistic physics in my game. I want spaceships that can turn on a dime, I want humanoids that can jump twice their height into the air, and I want platforms that are solid if you land on the them but insubstantial if you jump through them.

And yet every step of the way, if I try to do anything remotely unrealistic with physics, Unity fights me with physics quirks, unintuitive default behaviors (gee, thanks, but I don't need friction on those walls, I want them to be slippery so you can't climb them and cheat at the level), and convoluted rules regarding colliders. (have you ever tried to make a Trigger detect a CharacterController? Try as I might, I can't make it work)

Sometimes I just wish I could ditch the entire physics system and move objects myself through code. But I can't - not without losing all ability to detect collisions and, somehow, audio fidelity (apparently a fast-moving AudioSource without a rigidbody produces really choppy sound).

28. tatoforever

tatoforever

I hate the way Unity handle prefabs yeah, I hate them completely. (Possibly the only negative big thing that I really dislike on Unity).
    Unity seems to serialize the entire prefab instead of add pointers to lets say (the skinned mesh in a model). For example, If I have a character (skinnedmesh) and I remove or add one little vertex, export from 3D software into Unity (overwriting the old mesh), my prefabs get's destroyed... :(
    Why Unity isn't able to replace the old mesh with the new mesh? Because the old mesh data is entirely serialized within the prefab which means that vertex order/index changes. This is horrible way of serializing prefabs! Prefab should only contains pointers/references to the needed data (meshes, components, etc in your project) so when you replace them nothing get destroyed.
    Same thing for scenes. Scenes serialization is very similar, data is copied over and over into the scene file. A good example: try to bake occlusion data of 10 000 objects, your scene will become fat. :( Hope the upcoming nested prefab will solve this... :'(
    In fact the whole scene/prefab serialization system in Unity needs a complete rework. :rolleyes:

29. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

The thing that's been bothering me big time is been the fact that you can't change the order of components (at least as far as I know), short of removing them and reapplying them. Mainly within the context of post-processing image effects... Some effect have to be applied in a certain order, otherwise you get different results. When you have about 10 image effects and discover that the one near the end should be more towards the beginning, the only solution is to remove the effects after it, which is a major pain in the ass since you have to re-adjust their settings when you re-apply them. Sure you could write down all the numbers and settings and set them again by hand, but it's still a big pain in the butt

30. amit1532

amit1532

You can change their order in 4.2 :)

31. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Ooh really? I missed that little tidbit, this makes me happy :)

32. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

You can change them in current unity by right clicking the component... A drop down menu opens with a move component up/down option.

33. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

And now I feel really stupid, can't imagine how I missed something so obvious lol :p

34. amit1532

amit1532

Oo that what i was reffering to...
    I thought its added in 4.2

35. chingwa

chingwa

the reordering of components is actually my favorite thing about Unity 4. Sometimes... it's the small things... that are big things.

36. jashan

jashan

The most annoying thing about Unity: That I can't spend much more time working with it. It's that simple ;-)

The second most annoying thing about Unity: That about one year after they showed a really promising prototype of the new GUI system @ Unite 2012, they STILL don't have that system finished.

That sucks almost as much as not having much more time working with Unity. Maybe it's actually good that I don't have 15+ hours per day to work on Unity because if I had, I'd probably really hate the fact that the GUI system still isn't there.

And yes, I know the "addons" and use them. And no, this is not even remotely close to being a solution.

Get your stuff together and bring us the new GUI system ... which I believe will probably include the new nested prefabs (which were also shown @ Unity 2012).

Aside of that ... I'm as happy as I could be :)

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

the most annoying thing with unity so far for me, its that sometimes the temp scene data gets corrupted, or that gameobjects or prefabs loses connection or some objects just fail to serialise and get lost on next run, sometimes needing to reimport stuff very oftenly, but the annoyance factor gets lowered with metadata and local git repositories.

and just to try to fit in, the not ready yet new gui hahahahaha

38. Zeblote

Zeblote

The "Upgrade Project" when a new unity is released deletes all scenes without warning.

39. Dabeh

Dabeh

That I can't do a sweep test without a rigid body being attached and I can't debug visually functions like sphere casts and capsule casts without writing my own solution for it. Pretty much anything to do with collisions and physics.

Other than that, which is most fresh in my head because of the workarounds I had to write yesterday, I love Unity mostly and I'd marry it if that was legal.

1,000th post, yippee.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  40. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

The community.

just kidding!

41. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

64bit editor is becoming a must.there is just too much that needs to be in the editor.

42. DryTear

DryTear

the most annoying thing i find is when your prefabs are applied, unity doesnt crash, but then randomly the prefab icon is blue, but its also empty. And also sometimes an AvatarCharacter mask created once u press that CreateOther button on the project panel

43. BinaryZERO

BinaryZERO

Animation System is extremely slow and they just replaced it (with a component named Animator) as a solution. Argh! we are working on a 2 years project and we are close to end it. How could they expect that we could remake whole our animations for the new system? Old one is still hard slow.

44. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

You're not forced to upgrade. If the old animation system is essential to your project, just keep on using it.

45. jvil

jvil

Critical issues on 3.x branch not solved, extremely annoying when working on Unity 3.x projects, which discourages me to keep upgrading licenses.

Some examples:

- Sometimes editor crashes when working with AssetBundles.
    - When upgrading Android SDK need to manually move Android SDK folders to another location or can't compile on Unity 3.5.7.
    - Impossible to profile Android games with Android 4.3 or higher on Unity 3.5.7. This is Unity engine compatibility issue not fixed with Linux kernel k3.8. Also, this is a Unity Pro feature, broken.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Personally a 64-Bit editor and inbuilt streaming with compression algorithm is a must.

If the guys at Unity want to let us have a crack at it, I'd be more than willing to as it's more of a need than want.

(Well for windows anyway)..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  47. DaveyD

DaveyD

Unity is buggy as hell!! I even lost my final work for university TWO TIMES one after another using the 3D text-tool. It never happened again once I upgraded the version I was using but I'm scared to use 3D text again. There are other errors like when the cursor gets locked in the Hand and you can't change to Rotate, Translate, etc., that happens to me very often even with previous builds and in different computers.

48. tatoforever

tatoforever

As for streaming you mean:
    1 - Automatic world streaming with distance (pretty much like GTA4/5)?
    2 - Manual streaming of zones (defined by the user)?

The first one forget about it lol. Not even CE3 does this sort of streaming, only pre-defined layers can be streamed (which can be treated as zones).
    The second one can be done to some extend (very painfully and limited though). This is the current way CE3 does streaming (through layers, not zones) and you don't have to care about what's on any layer to be streamed, it could be anything.

I dream of Unity having an automatic streaming system where assets are automatically loaded/unloaded in the background with distance (a la GTA). But yeah I'm dreaming. :rolleyes:

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yup, I already know how CE3 does streaming.. http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/Layer+Streaming

As I'm offering to implement such features, I dare say at least a basic understanding of how it works is needed.. I'd be more interested in methods on how, so if you come across any interesting technical reads let me know.

50. Pix10

Pix10

There's always something to gripe about, but I have to agree the prefab system needs an overhaul.

Considering they were originally the proverbial golden egg, prefabs have become something of a liability; hilighted by the fact that so many people have to write their own prefab management scripts.

I don't understand why we're still not allowed to inspect lower than 1 child level in the Project view. The reasoning for this didn't come from a technical requirement, but an early design decision which seems at odds with Unity's design in general, as it puts a lid on work pattern flexibility for little reason other than to prevent some people from using them badly. Well, you have to break a few eggs to learn.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/8101-Showing-deeper-nested-levels-in-Prefabs-(project-view)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013