Search Unity

Morph-maps from Lightwave

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by iBoy, Sep 7, 2006.

1. iBoy

iBoy

Hi is it possible to import animation generated from morphmaps in Lightwave? I have looked for tools to 'bake' the animation in some way.

I have created an l-system tree using the Germinator plugin and a morph map - the animation is viewable in preview in lightwave - but I guess it doesn't generate any keyframe data.

Thanks,

Ian Grant
    Lecturer in Digital Art, Thames Valley University, London.

2. pete

pete

well i haven't worked much with morphs. in lw 8.5 layout under the utilities tab, below the plugins buttons, is a pull down called additional. in there you'll find one called keyframer. under the other tab there's a key all morphs option. don't know if that will help. maybe there's something else in there that will work?

3. pete

pete

*bump*

yeah so what gives iboy? did you figure it out? the rest of us lwers would love to know! ;)

4. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Could you not export the mesh at various states in the animation and use the mesh morpheme. I know some blender users were using this animation method to get characters into Unity from Blender. Jeff

5. iBoy

iBoy

Thanks for the advice - Pete, Jeff - Sorry for not replying sooner - I had a deadline for the piece of work I mention below...

I tried all the baking stuff with no joy. It seems the morph map animations aren't imported from LW nor turned into proper keyframes. So I am currently trying Jeff's suggestion. I am quite new to Unity and am stumbling through it!

I have got two tree states into Unity and am experimenting with the mesh morph. I'll search the forums/manuals for how-tos and I'll post any material that may be useful.
    I think the l-system generator Germinator is good about the order of the vertices etc.

You can take a look at my first Unity attempt at the URL here. I am working on an MA Computer Arts module that I am doing for staff development. Also, we are writing a games design degree here- and I am pushing Unity to all the PC guys - one has switched and has an Intel mac now... This project has been the first time I've a serious chance to learn Unity in detail. I love the sound - very easy to use. I'm trying to learn the javascript stuff now...

http://ellington.tvu.ac.uk/ma/interactive-and-immersive-virtual-art/
    http://ellington.tvu.ac.uk/ma/assessment/iiva/Web/ - this possibly needs the beta plugin.

Ian Grant
    Lecturer in Digital Art, Thames Valley University, London.

6. pete

pete

thanks ian! and bummer. sorry it didn't work out. maybe jeff's idea will work for you. but do update us if you're able. i'm interested in seeing what you're up to. sounds intriguing. something's up with the beta player though and i can't get yours to load. i'm posting about that in the appropriate thread now... cheers!