Search Unity

More than two controllers in VR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by velickolb, Jul 17, 2020.

1. velickolb

velickolb

Hi there!

Is there a way for unity to receive input from more than two controllers? In may case there is three htc vive controllers with SteamVR.
    I managed to get them all tracking, but only two of them has inputs.
    Third one is connected directly with USB.

Thanks..

2. BTables

BTables

Did you end up figuring this out? Currently running into the same issue.

3. pamelawall

pamelawall

Hello,
    Here are the steps you can take to enable input from three HTC Vive controllers in Unity:
    1. Make sure you have the SteamVR plugin installed and set up in your Unity project
    2. Open the SteamVR Input window in Unity by navigating to "Window" -> "SteamVR Input".
    3. In the SteamVR Input window, click on the "Open Binding UI" button. This will open the SteamVR Input Binding UI on your default web browser.
    4. In the SteamVR Input Binding UI, you can create a new binding or modify an existing one. Locate the binding for the HTC Vive controllers and click on "Edit".
    5. In the binding configuration, you should see a list of available actions for the controller. Make sure all the necessary actions (such as button presses, trackpad movements, etc.) are assigned to the correct input events for the controller.
    6. To enable input from the third HTC Vive controller, you might need to create a custom binding for it. In the SteamVR Input Binding UI, click on "Create New Binding" and select the appropriate controller type.
    7. Follow the same steps as in the previous binding configuration to assign the necessary actions to the input events for the third HTC Vive controller.
    8. Save the binding configuration and close the SteamVR Input Binding UI.
    9. Back in Unity, you should now be able to receive input from all three HTC Vive controllers. You can access the input data by using the SteamVR plugin's API or by using the Unity Input System, depending on your project setup

4. divinegabriel

divinegabriel

Hi! Yes, Unity can receive input from more than two controllers. In fact, SteamVR supports up to four controllers.

It's possible that the third controller you're using is not recognized by Unity. You may need to check your input settings and ensure that the controller is properly configured. Additionally, you may need to update the SteamVR plugin in Unity to ensure compatibility with the third controller.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.
    play girls games

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  5. jnes_imren

jnes_imren

This sounds promising! :)
    However I have not been able to figure out how to use several bindings for HTC controllers at once... Are you using a "mirrored" or "per hand" scheme?
    I can get the tracked position of the third controller in unity from the legacy input system that is connected via a vivetracker dongle. But cannot see any button input even in the Steam VR app (test controllers / debug input). Grateful for any advice! :)

6. Rodericklegend

Rodericklegend

You can try going to Edit > Project Settings > Input in Unity and adding a new input for the third controller. Make sure to set the appropriate input type and axis for each button or joystick on the controller.
    Additionally, you may need to check if the SteamVR plugin in Unity is properly configured to recognize all three controllers. You can try checking the SteamVR Input window in Unity to see if all three controllers are listed and properly mapped.