Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

More terrain material layers please

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Waterlane, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Waterlane

Waterlane

This isn't a new topic and I understand /agree with Unity focusing upon stability over new features (ie delaying the new terrain system). But is there any chance that the max number of terrain material layers could be increased within the existing terrain system, please?
    As said, I know this is not a new topic/idea so maybe it's something that's been discussed/started already?
    PS... I did say please. :)

2. jbooth

jbooth

I don't think there is a max limit, you just need to use a shader that supports more layers. I support 32 in MicroSplat, because at that point you need 8 splat maps per terrain, which is quite expensive on memory. MegSplat does 256, but that requires a custom format and paint tools..

Rowlan likes this.
  3. Waterlane

Waterlane

Thanks Jason - I looked into MicroSplat... It looks very cool, but I believe HDRP is still under development atm?

4. jbooth

jbooth

HDRP is under development because unity is still developing HDRP and changing it constantly. Until they provide an abstraction layer or abandon HDRP, that will always be the case. There are only a few MicroSplat features not supported in HDRP (mainly tessellation), but none of those are features that Unity's terrain shader supports anyway - in fact, Unity's shader doesn't even support what they do in the Standard Rendering pipeline, which isn't very much either.

Rowlan and Waterlane like this.