Search Unity

More Robust Demo

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by marty, Feb 10, 2008.

1. marty

marty

Is there any chance that the Unity folks plan to post a more complete "Lobby Demo" using the multi-user server?

The current demos let you pick an open connection to join, but do nothing to let you preview, chat, descrbie or password open games.

Something like one of the two demos here would be nice: http://xtras.tabuleiro.com/products/nebulae/demo.htm

:)

2. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

I can't enter the website, there's written:
    Not Found

The requested URL /products/nebulae/demo.htm. was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) mod_python/3.2.10 Python/2.4.4 PHP/5.2.0-8+etch10 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c mod_perl/2.0.2 Perl/v5.8.8 Server at xtras.tabuleiro.com Port 80

3. marty

marty

Oops.

Stoopid periods.

Try now.

4. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

I don't have shockwave player and I can't download it! :x
    (shockwaves homepage sucks)

5. marty

marty

Shockwave is in a pretty sorry state right now. If you set Safari to Rosetta mode, it will run Shockwave content with the old PPC plugin. Which sucks.

Anyway, the basic deal is that I'd like a lobby that:

1. Lists players logged into the lobby, waiting to join a game.
    2. Allows them to chat.
    3. Lists open games in progress.
    4. Allows people in the lobby to either start a new game or join an existing one.
    5. Allows games to be started with a password to enter.

The current demos only do 3 and 4 in the lobby and does 2 once you are in a game.

6. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

Maybe if/when more networking examples are added one of them might be a pretty lobby scene. Its a nice idea.

Like you said, 3 and 4 are handles in the current demo. Passwords are automatically handled, if you start a server with a password (see Network.incomingPassword ) the HostData structure for server instances returned by the master server has a field which indicates if it is password protected or not. 1 and 2 can easily be handled if you just make all clients connect to a dedicated Unity lobby server (which you create) at the same time they view the server list. The lobby server would provide chat (already shown in the demo) and relay player information to all clients so they see each other (which I guess would be included anyway in a more advanced chat system). That would be done with RPCs and the castle demo has an example of player information being relayed to clients by the server.