Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

More information when Remote Path is Used is possible?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by mentorgame1, Sep 13, 2018.

1. mentorgame1

mentorgame1

I'm doing a "Initial content delivery" and updater per say of my game. we now have percentageComplete that will return the progress of download/loading on system. but i want to be able to see more information of this process of downloading/loading mostly to identify any errors on the way or even just to show the user what is been downloaded. i'm trying to find a way to show the specify/current file been downloaded, size of the file, progress of this download(maybe showing this on a second progress bar to show the progress when something is been downloaded) has u can see this is just when using remotePath to better control the flow and maybe use logs. but while i wait an answer i will try to build something or better understand how achieve this.

2. unity_bill

unity_bill

This information does seem like it could be useful, especially for debugging. We don't have anything in place currently. The downloads are done by chaining IAsyncOperations. Perhaps we could add additional data there. Either way, I've filed it as a feature request in our system.

Thanks for trying out Addressables. We'll post here if we can come up with a useful solution.

-Bill

optimise and mentorgame1 like this.
  3. optimise

optimise

@unity_bill, I think directly bake in the file size to addressable catalog is better solution. So, when the game has new update. It will download the new catalog from server and compare with the old catalog from the phone then figure out which asset bundle to download. As catalog has the file size of each asset bundle, there's no longer need to send HTTP request for each asset bundle just to know the file size of the bundle.

Another thing I would like to ask. Does Addressable able to automatically remove all the asset bundles that is no longer be used anymore based on Addressable catalog meaning that those bundles that is not in the catalog list are obsolete bundles?

4. unity_bill

unity_bill

I don't believe we have a way of automatically doing this, but depending on what you set this value to, your unused bundles will get cleaned up: https://docs.unity3d.com/530/Documentation/ScriptReference/Caching-expirationDelay.html

optimise likes this.
  5. optimise

optimise

@unity_bill, thanks for the reply. Seems like Caching.expirationDelay API is no longer available. Here's the list caching API in Unity 2018.2 (https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.2/Documentation/ScriptReference/Caching.html). IIRC there will be improvement on Caching API but until now there is no complete control on Caching yet. So, can you provide another new Addressable caching option that store the asset bundle outside of the Caching that directly put all the asset bundles at the target directory. I understand this will require a lot of works to make it happens but I think currently that's the only solution to make it able to remove asset bundle based on the asset bundle name list from Addressable catalog automatically.

6. unity_bill

unity_bill

7. optimise

optimise

Thanks for the reply. Btw one thing I want to point out is I not really like the idea of putting everything into one big cache file as if the cache file is corrupted for some reasons, it's very hard to repair. Probably you cannot detect which specific asset bundle is corrupted.

8. sandeepsmartest

sandeepsmartest

How do i download asset bundles manually?I dont want addressable system to download the assetbundle automaticaly (with the help of remote catalog) .Assume i have a xml file in the cloud which tells me the assetbundle name or asset bundle path.As soon as i open the game i would query the xml file for the assetbundle name and then i would download that specific assetbundle on demand.I was doing this easily using legacy assetbundles but it looks little tricky with this addressables system.Any Ideas or Hints??Thank you

9. sandeepsmartest

sandeepsmartest

sorted!! thank you guys!! Ref: https://forum.unity.com/threads/change-remote-catalog-load-path-at-runtime.712052/