Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question More information on memory profiler

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by tonyoakden2, Nov 6, 2023.

1. tonyoakden2

tonyoakden2

I'm optimising memory usage and using the new Unity profiling tool. There are some things I don't understand:
    .84GB is untracked memory, that's 25% of my usage. Is there anyway to reduce this? What is likely to be in it an how might I reduce it?

368 MB is "Other Native Memory" - is there a way to analyze this and what is likely to be in it?

Graphics I'm fine with. The tools are good for this but it's relatively small at about 300MB

Any advise or tips are most appreciated as usual :)

2. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    First off, which Unity and package version are you using? 2022.3 and 1.1 is the recommended combo, 2023.1+ has even more details, especially for untracked. Though for untracked and reserved details you might have to go to the preference for the Memory Profiler to enable them.

And generally speaking, all the details are on the All Of Memory page.

Also, the package's manual pages
    (for versions pre-1.0)
    as well as the selection details (1.0+) for the untracked element contain version appropriate details on what could be included in the untracked amount.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    dbeshkenadze_saber likes this.
  3. tonyoakden2

tonyoakden2

thanks Martin. I probably should have mentioned that I'm developing for the Switch. The version of Unity we are using is 2021.3.30 so a bit old but we can't upgrade because of several dependencies. Reading the documentation it sounds like memory allocated by native plugins would be in untracked? I assume that would include WWISE which we use for sound?

4. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Correct on both counts. On 2022 WWise could use our Native Plug-in Memory Manager API, with witch the Profiler would know about that memory too. But for 2021, it's untracked.

dbeshkenadze_saber likes this.
  5. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Oh yeah, and forgot to mention it but you can import into or directly capture snapshots from an empty 2022.3 project and thereby use the newer package UI from 1.0/1.1. It won't have all the data as a 2022.3/2023.1+ snapshot would have, but that might still give you some clearer workflows