Search Unity

More detailed info on the LOD system in Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Steven-1, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Steven-1

Steven-1

I find the docs fairly limited in info on the benefits/cost about using LOD.

so I was wondering some things:
    Is it a good idea to use LODs without actually using lower detail meshes, thus only having an LOD0 and a culling state ?
    and would it still be beneficial if you have a lot (100's) of very small objects all having this LOD component just too cull it when it's far away ?
    well that's basically it, so I'm wondering if I should use LOD on every object in my scenes (1000's of objects), or just the biggest meshes ?

btw, the scenes in the project I'm working on are really big, and very open, with lots of small objects, these scenes cost a lot of memory and are quite expensive.

2. Foxxis

Foxxis

I am surprised this question hasn't been answered...? :)

One more related question: Does the new LOD system handle colliders for the LOD group or is it just a rendering toggle? We're still on 3.4.2 so I would really appreciate some info.

TIA!

3. Morning

Morning

I'd like to know too. The lod system is very undocumented and has little info.

4. FerociousIndustries

FerociousIndustries

Hi really sorry this is such a late reply but I was personally searching for a draw or pass call cost with LOD Group components and stumbled across your two posts. I can tell you that using LOD's is pretty much always a good idea. What you are describing using a single mesh and using the LODGroup component to cull it at a custom distance will absolutely help with runtime performance. The only other simple option you have is to cull everything using the camera at a certain distance, which as you've described the scenes as open and large may not be the best. Again, super sorry to reply to a 10 year old question but, if anyone stumbles across this, yes, use LOD's, especially if you're creating large scenes in Unity.