Search Unity

More camera takes more cpu usage on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by pancymon, May 16, 2019.

1. pancymon

pancymon

I'm making an application with Unity 2018.3.6f1 on ubuntu 16.04 and opengl 4.5

I used to have one camera in my scene, and the built player takes about 50% of cpu, as shown in top, which is fine. Then one day, I added six more cameras to my scene for the purpose of a new feature. The problem is that, with these cameras added, the cpu usage is over 300% now.

I tried running the built player with -force-gfx-direct, it would reduce the cpu usage from 300% to 200%. I still wanted that 50% cpu usage though.

I've done some experiments and it looks like the cpu usage increases with every extra camera. I would expect -force-gfx-direct to force the player to be strictly single threaded, so that cpu usage goes below 100%.

Could you please explain to me, why the cpu usage increases with each extra camera?
    And why with -force-gfx-direct, it's still multithreaded, like 200% cpu usage?
    With my curent settings of six cameras, is it possible to force the player to run in one thread, i.e. below 100% cpu usage, or I have to figure out a way to work with only one camera?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!