Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Monster Raising/Taming Game Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by j_spencer93, Oct 11, 2018.

1. j_spencer93

j_spencer93

First, i'd like to start off by saying i am not sure this is the right place to post this or not; but seems appropriate.

Currently me and my team are working on a Monster Raising/Taming game where you play as a "Magician" and acquire familiars. A majority of the concept art is done and coding and world building has already commenced.

However, there are a few things I would like outside input on; mainly concerning the taming, farming, and battle system aspects.

Taming: Right now we are thinking of a taming system where, during battle, you can try and trap a monster in a "Rune" and after you meet some sort of unknown prerequisite, it checks to see if it is tamed. However, as we are going for a turn based combat as this is our first project, this doesn't really seem feasible. I do not want to copy pokemon and throw and item of any sort here.

Farming: In the game you have a small demiplane where you store your familiars and items. You can plant farms here as well as unique items to give creatures stat bonuses or experience boost. However, I am having trouble coming up a variety of unique items.
    Currently i have things like Yggdrasil (large tree, grants Insect familiars an experience bonus, allows gathering of fruit in free time).

Battle System: As of right now we have you encountering monsters on the main world and then going to a small "battle area" where the fight actually occurs. In this area, we are using a turn based system using AP to determine what you can do per turn; however this feels off to me. Your magician does nothing during combat (seems wrong to me as well). Looking for input on ways to make it more unique and interesting.

All ideas are welcome and would be appreciated. And if interested, as usual, PM me.

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

Game Design sub-forum would be a better place to ask this.

And yeah, it sounds a lot like pokemon game clone.

3. j_spencer93

j_spencer93

I posted it there. And how is it a pokemon game clone? The only aspect shared if you get creatures lol Actually being serious, if something is to "pokemonish" please let me know.

4. xVergilx

xVergilx

Am sorry to say, but, everything?

Because runes are pokeballs, farming is simply is just an inventory and progression system (plus, probably some microtransaction bullshit, if it's for mobile). Or, lobby - better word for it.
    Battle system is exact same thing as the one with pokemons.

It's okay though, not every game should be unique 100%.

Nowadays industry relies on clones, and casuals, nobody will ever notice. Oh, some people will do noitice.
    I do sound like a jerk, so I'll just stop before getting banned.

Saw game design topic of this one, plenty of usefull advices there. Stick to them, not to some random jiberish.