Search Unity

Monster Hunter?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by KnightShift, Jan 4, 2016.

1. KnightShift

KnightShift

What makes Monster Hunter, what it is?

I've never seen any games come close to imitating it to the same degree or improving on it in anyway. The closest game that I've played that resembles Monster Hunter is, Dragomon Hunter, but thats still a long way away from being as fun and challenging in my opinion.

I just want to as what do you see when you look at monster hunter and what areas do you think are important for it being what it is.

Also, this is the only section I could find that this seemed most suited in.

Tomnnn likes this.
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'd never heard of it, but according to the Wikipedia article, this game only got average reviews and was shut down after a few years of service.

So, why don't you tell us what you think is so great about this game?

3. KnightShift

KnightShift

Monster Hunter has many games mostly based on consoles, such as the newer release Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, capcom often shuts the server down on older titles, I fell victim to that on the Wii with Monster Hunter Tri.

Monster Hunter is a game where you hunt monsters for parts and upgrade gear, unlocking more quests. You can play with others to do even harder quests or go it alone for extra challenge.

The unique part is how the Bigger monsters will have broken parts and texture changes when damaged enough in specific area's also known as "breaking parts", and often the only way to a specific part is by breaking it.

To my dismay there are no PC versions released in North america or europe. Only the new one from 2013 in China, and the one that has been going since 2007 in Japan and Korea.

So I wanted to ask of those who knew or didn't know of the game, and had time to look into a few vids of it.
    Also i wanted to know if anyone is familiar with how to make similar things happen in Unity. Like having a part become severed or the textures to change.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    JoeStrout likes this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Breaking things is reasonably simple. You can make a thing up out of parts, then simply let the parts come apart. Or you can use procedural techniques to split the mesh at runtime.

Changing textures is also straight forward too. It's literally a single line of code to change the texture on a material.

The game design itself sounds like a fairly standard action rpg. I'm struggling to see anything unique in the design from your statements or Wikipedia. What is it that makes the game awesome?

5. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

It's great to have fandoms, but if this is your first go at game I'd aim a little lower. Those games have hundreds of seasoned pros working together for years at a time. One person starting out would never finish something that big on their own.

Also, if you do start making games make sure that you enjoy making games and not just the idea of making games.

6. KnightShift

KnightShift

oh nah, I'd have a better chance at convincing other people to make a simple game for me than manage to build a Monster Hunter clone on my own lmfao. I was certain there would have been more people who had played monster hunter. But looking at it now it does seem pretty simple.

I guess it's just fun, depending on what your tastes are. If anything you could compare it to a more forgiving Dark Souls type of gameplay where you gotta dodge alot. But honestly I'm not so great at breaking games down which is what i'd like to see done to monster hunter, it's one thing to see gameplay footage, but it's another to experience it.

The reason i find it awesome, is because for what it is as a whole, rather than what it is in pieces, it's one of a kind. Like I mentioned, Dragomon hunter comes close but they don't yet have broken parts or texture changes, just flinching and a "part bar", and being a typical spam-1-5 type MMO it's cluttered with bots and hosted by a lazy company who takes no actions. Monster Hunter is a lobby based game where you meet up with 3 others, and work together. The chat function is pretty lax and it don't have that massive MMO grind, it's more casual grouping.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Haven't played it. Sorry.

8. tedthebug

tedthebug

Just read that one of them will be coming to ps4 soon

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Thematically the Witcher series can be related to the Monster Hunter games. But in play, Monster Hunter is a lot more like a MMO kinda feel - where as the Witcher is more of a action oriented RPG.
    But hunting monsters down and collecting them and parts of them is a cool concept. Seems Monster Hunter has evolved over the years to be more team based - I never played the first couple iterations so I can't say for sure.

10. illjuicebox

illjuicebox

Unity Technologies

I think what's fun about MH is that it reinvents typical gameplay tropes leading up/around boss fights. Most games have you fight waves of enemies, go through dungeons, unlock x/y/z, then you fight the boss as a final challenge. MH, at its core, only features "boss" fights and, at least to me, makes it exciting and captivating.

11. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It looks awesome in the videos I checked out on YT. I'll have to get one of them sooner or later. Kind of reminds me of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen only as far as the monsters being like bosses. It made DD more interesting IMO.

12. KnightShift

KnightShift

They got an international version up for Monster Hunter Online, it wasn't too convoluted to setup. Only flaw is it's different from the normal play style as it's generally in MMO form, and it's currently only in Chinese. I heard if some fans make an english translation patch they'll host it. Sounds pretty lenient.

If anyone has a PSP 1000 to 3000 laying around, definitely check around for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, alternatively They got some other PSP one where players made an english patch, wasn't released in NA.

Unfortunately for myself I couldn't find anyone to play with (probably lack of Adhoc), but you can still enjoy it fully, with a challenge in Hunter Ranked quests (Online mode available offline).

never played Dragons Dogma, seen like 10mins of a Stream, it did seem fun.

13. LMan

LMan

I'm a fan of Monster Hunter- I've never finished one, but they are a great experience.

The thing that sets Monster Hunter apart is the combat system- Weapons are often ridiculously large, attacking takes a long time, and the beasts you hunt are quick and agile. Combat is about observing, preparing, choosing a moment to strike, and committing to it. Choose the wrong moment, you'll soon find yourself running for your life.

Most people are used to maybe more zelda-like combat. It's smooth, it's immediate, it flows quickly. Monster Hunter combat follows a much slower beat and requires a certain skill with the weapon and a knowledge of how long it takes to heft the weapon up, overhead, and bring it crashing down at the right time. Close enough to hit the target, yet far enough to escape the retaliation that soon follows. This learning curve is the source of some frustration for many players, But it is also what makes bringing down a large beast so satisfying. Not only have you figured out how to read the movements and beat it, but you've also exercised the skill required to do the job.

14. jgalvelo

jgalvelo

Presenting you Daiboken soon there will be reveal news, but yes monster hunter style boss fights :)

15. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It's one of my favorite games, perhaps 2nd only to the .hack// series. What makes monster hunter for me is the strategy for each weapon for each monster. And the gathering and preparation for the hunt beforehand.

What do you want to hunt? Why do you want to hunt it? What logical progression of hunts easier than this lead up to the best gear to take on this hunt? What gathering missions should you go on to stock up money and materials for this hunt? What weapons will give you an advantage against this monster type?

Then when you're on the hunt, you're looking for the monster and dealing with other monsters and the terrain. If I'm really worried about how a hunt is going to go, I'll bring mega potions, potions + honey to make more mega potions, and also blue mushrooms, herbs and go honey gathering on the mission itself to make sure I never run out of mega potions.

There's also the idea that you're hunting this monster for some other purpose. You're protecting a village, you're dealing with a monster that frequently disturbs a caravan route, you're collecting eggs from the monster for a chef, you're getting revenge for a family who just lost someone to the monster, and so on.

It's a grind with purpose and there's a progression that varies based on your skills and strategies.

--edit

I'm torn on improving the formula for monster hunter. Should there be skills, cooldowns and or mana added to the game? It's currently skill based where you can dodge and attack. I think those other systems might just be clutter on top of an already great play style. Sometimes there is more variation in a genre when they don't all have the same features :p

All I can say is that during some very lucid dreams monster hunter, .hack// and zelda yielded the most enjoyable experiences. I anticipate dedicating a huge chunk of my life into finding a perfect combination between all of them to make into a VR world to leave behind when I die :D

An ai of myself - or at the very least, an imaginary friend I can give a physical space to exist in -will remain in the game world and have access to the outside world to follow a formula to continually keep the game up to date and produce new content and send funds to servers to keep the game alive for a long time after I'm gone.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  16. KnightShift

KnightShift

You should consider trying Monster Hunter Online. It's currently in chinese, on a china based server but it's an mmo and monster hunter combined. It's an international server but they wont be translating it, however they are willing to use a player made translation should someone make one, there are a few people working on one now.

You can signup, but you need a phone to get an SMS code. After that it should be pretty simple from there.

the way MH works with its style, also works in the MMO aspect where you can't spam healing items, and the animation acts like a cooldown since you can't dodge or attack while performing it. Unlike other traditional MMO's where you somehow have a sippy-cap on with 8 potions on it and continue to use twohanded weapons or wrestle grizzlies without needing to have a 3rd arm lol

17. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@CrownG odd that it's in chinese instead of japanese. I'm guessing this is a knock off game since the official monster hunter online is monster hunter frontier?

I don't think I'd enjoy dealing with international latency either, so I'll pass. Thanks anyway :p

18. jgalvelo

jgalvelo

More bosses the phoenix needs a re-texturing :)