Search Unity

MonoDevelop vs Visual Studio AutoCompletion

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by col000r, Nov 22, 2016.

1. col000r

col000r

I have 2 functions called GetClosestLocation and GetClosestPosition.

In MonoDevelop it's enough to type "gcl" or "gcp" to get Autocompletion to suggest the correct option.
    But in Visual Studio that doesn't work, there I need to type at least "GetClosestL" or "GetClosestP" for it to jump to the correct suggestion without having to use the arrow keys.

It's all about speed. So is there a way to smarten up VS so it can do this too?

2. Baste

Baste

You can get Resharper, but that's not free. It does provide much better... everything than what comes by default in Visual Studio. It fixes this, and a ton other things (like really good refactoring tools and a proper divide between go to member and go to type).

If that's not an option, I think default VS is very particular about capitalization for auto-complete. I just turned off Resharper, and it seems like "GeC" and "GCL" will give you the autocomplete-suggestion you're looking for. Missing any of the capital letters makes VS give up.

3. col000r

col000r

Thanks for the tip! Yes, the big difference is that capitalization matters in VS!