Search Unity

MonoDevelop.Unity - Community Effort!

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Reapazor, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Reapazor

Reapazor

I apparently spoke to soon, editing just stopped on me !!! NOOOOOO!

2. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

sorry to hear of more problems. Please could you help me figure out whats required to get my scripts being edited properly within monodevelop with the plugin?

Do you just drag all scripts in or is there something more cryptic?

3. Reapazor

Reapazor

The plugin is really a hybrid as of the version I just posted, originally it had templates and such for Unity, but with the new system coming through from Unity I have started removing that part.

Essentially the plugins primary role is providing inline help for Mac users (sorry windows boys you have VS and monodoc isnt ported to windows yet), and to add some fun shortcuts to getting to the help files.

MonoDevelop will treat your files like a c# project, thats the best I can really say right now.

4. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

thanks.

I wasn't aware that unity were bringing anything new in this area?

I'd really appreciate a simple test project that just loads up and allows the inline unity stuff to just work, i grabbed the latest monodevelop and your plugin last week but wasn't able to see any inline completion working at all. Even just an example C# file that should work would be appreciated.

5. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

I simply use Lucas Meijers visual studio solution generator, and it works great with MonoDevelop (of any version)

http://lucasmeijer.com/posts/one-click-unity-visual-studio-integration/

That automagically solves the autocompletion part, maintains the solution file etc.etc.etc.

I'm at bliss and so could yu be - if you grabbed a version of MonoDevelop that actually works for you. Buggiest piece of software that ever got labelled 2.0 :-D

It still doesnt open up in the right spot on clicking in the console on an error, but its not that hard to manually navigate to the reported line with an error

6. tigeba

tigeba

I also use the script Thomas mentioned and it works very well for creating your project. One thing I found that seems to help with the rendering bugs. Turn off code folding ( I can't stand it anyway ) and it seems to eliminate quite a bit of the "wow where did the code go in my editor problems".

7. Reapazor

Reapazor

I still cant figure out why the repo system in MD is broken, I've attached the dll that goes in the AddIn folder inside of the MonoDevelop app folder.

It should ask you if you want to install the inline docs, if it doesnt there is an option from the preferences.

This version removes auto-referencing of UnityEngine/Editor, only because of issues with it. I might add something back in shortly, just previous method was going to cause issues.

Oh and with the new 2.2b1, after a clean install I have Unity opening files up in it again. Not to the line number, but atleast its opening files :)

EDIT: After talking with the MD crew, seems this might just be a fluke of my update to Snow Leopard, fixed something? Anyone else not on SL get this to work?

As for Visual Studio, its true I love VS, but I'm trying really hard to not have to run VMWare on my Mac. MonoDevelop also has some really neat features, and unlike VS, I feel like I have some impact on what goes into the product.

Anyways, as I find time I'll keep plugging away at the repo issue, and possibly addressing the iPhone docs not being used :)

Attached Files:

8. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

Not sure if that one was a comment to my post or not. But I'll answer anyways just in case.

Lucas' "integrate with Visual Studio" editor script is not Visual Studio specific. It simply creates with a button press a solution and project file in VS format - the exact same format as MonoDevelop uses.

Thus its not a matter of me using VS, but that I (on my Mac) hit the "make solution file" after some updates, and MonoDevelop automagic updates its project with the files. It also copies in the dll and XML needed for code completion and in-editor documentation while you type.

It does all that I can do with VMWare and Visual Studio, but using MonoDevelop instead. Not that I think MD is as good as VS just yet, but it beats Unitron

/Thomas

9. Reapazor

Reapazor

Naw the post wasnt for you.

There is a "new" feature in MonoDevelop which allows for folder watching, which will sync/add new files when the project loads.

Its in the properties of a project.

Does Lucas' script add references to the UnityEditor/Engine dll ?

10. Reapazor

Reapazor

Let the record show, all MD fans should be getting their love on for Lucas this weekend :)

11. atholm

atholm

Hi
    What is the status of this. I have tried following the introduction pdf but as people has mentioned is the site down. Also Lucas' site is down so do not know where to go from this :)

12. Reapazor

Reapazor

A few posts back I liked the actual DLL file to drop in the AddIn's folder.

The addin really is more help to mac based people right now... i pulled the project creation support from the addin due to the upcoming 2.6 feature set (including some special additions from Lucas).

As for windows inline documentation, thats something that i need a little help from the md crew to get working (currently no monodoc on windows).

13. atholm

atholm

Thanks for the answer, really helpful now I have docs in MD.

14. HJP

HJP

Thanks, now I have the docs .... very nice! I had used so far VMware only for VS .... Everything becomes better :D

Good work Reapazor :!:

15. Reapazor

Reapazor

Small update ...

The addin is going to be moving off of GitHub, and into the MonoDevelop repository.

So what does this mean? Well ... my eventual goal is to have it automatically included with MonoDevelop distributions (this is a fair bit away as there is much clean up to be done -- and cross compatibility).

In the short term it means a slight change in the addins installation process of the documentation. Without a nice OK from Unity to embed the Unity documentation into the plugin, it needs to go 'out' and get it. That being said, the process is not visibly going to change too much... instead of simply unpacking the help files from the addin itself, it will go download them (right now off a server of ours) and then install them.

I felt like letting people know about this change mainly because we require root to copy the files into their appropriate folders, so its only fair that you know exactly what the function is doing :)

Anyways, that will be coming out in the next version, as well as FINALLY some proper iPhone support. More on that as it gets done.

16. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

sounds great. I'm going to try and follow the instructions on here later on. At the moment then is it just iphone specific functionality which will be missing, but the core functions across all unity versions will be fine. Sounds good!

17. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

could someone put Lucas Meijers visual studio solution generator downloads somewhere if they have them. His site seems to be offline at the moment :(

18. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

Yea, I was looking for these as well. I'm trying to get an editor working with C# on Mac with auto complete and what not.

19. Wenceslao

Wenceslao

Ok, I installed MonoDevelop, installed the Mono framework, downloaded the DLL in the previous page, put it in the MonoDevelop package and when I launched MonoDevelop it asked me if I wanted to install the documentation, I said yes, restarted and opened my solution. What exactly should this plug in do? I created the solution with Meijer's script but I get this error when I run it:

http://www.mysidia.net/images/besterrorever.png

By the way I did follow those instructions and it doesn't seem to matter.

Update: I'm not sure why SyncVisualStudioSolution can't set up the help but I readded them in monodevelop and autocomplete is working now.

Should I be creating my solution with MonoDevelop?

20. Tzan

Tzan

21. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Thanks Tzan, i posted on your linked thread asking whether the files you've provided will actually work with unity iphone, based off of the older version of the unity editor!

22. Reapazor

Reapazor

Just a little tid bit -- trunk build of monodevelop now has monodocs somewhat on windows which means i can restore that for the windows side of things.

As for iPhone support, here lies the problem when MonoDoc handles the inline documentation, it looks at the referenced library installed ...so there can only be one set of docs for UnityEngine.

My thoughts are too combine the documentations and identify sections that are specific, just takes more time then i have right now :)

23. melmonkey

melmonkey

Can you give me the status of a windows build of this? Is there one that is functioning with auto-complete?

I currently use UnityDevelop from Flashbang, but I am always on the lookout for better tools.

24. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Ok, I've managed to find this post

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=29336&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

which has a working CreateVisualStudioSolution based on Lucas Meijer's one but adjusted to work with Unity iPhone.

I've used it and loaded the sln in MonoDevelop and it all seems to work ok, I can get some completion on standard unity types.

Now Im not clear whether this is all working via the solution or whether or not the other things in this thread are making it work. Could someone fill me in on the difference between just using the generated solution which seems to make the .xml docs, and the stuff that Reapazor is working on?

25. carnevalle

carnevalle

I am using the latest beta of Monodevelop (MonoDevelop 2.2 Beta 1) and I am having trouble getting the docs to work.

I have tried Lucas Meijers solution, the modified iPhone solution and the plugin that Reapazor has provided and nothing really works.

The code completion works like a charm, but it would be really nice to get the docs working as well. I have tried to put the XML files with the dll's, with the project in my user folder and what-not.

Do I need to reference the myself from within Monodevelop?

26. Reapazor

Reapazor

what OS .. Mac OSX or Windows?

27. pjohnsen

pjohnsen

I tried the new MonoDevelop 2.2 beta 2 .. but couldn't seem to get open file from Unity to work :(

It starts MonoDev just fine but then still ends up opening the file in Unitron. Opening .cs files from finder works just fine though.

I'm trying to find a beta 1 version to see if opening file from Unity works properly there.

( Mac OS X 10.5.8 )

28. ytinu

ytinu

Thanks for taking the time to develop this Add.in.

I was just wondering if their was any update on this project, or the link to the project on the mondoDev page.

Also, I am quite new at programing (more of and artist tasked with learning programing), So these steps you are going threw to get it all working, this MonoDev + addin... can you lay them out a bit, more so the "How"?

Cheers and keep up the great work!
    T!

29. pjohnsen

pjohnsen

Here is what I did:
    1. Install the Mono 2.4 from: http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html
    2. Install the MonoDevelop 2.2 beta 2from: http://monodevelop.com/Download
    3. Download the MonoDevelop.Unity.dll from this thread
    4. Copy MonoDevelop.Unity.dll to MonoDevelop's AddIns folder. You find this folder by right clicking on MonoDevelop.app (in Applications) and choosing Show Package Contents and going to Contents/MacOS/lib/monodevelop/AddIns

Hope this helps.

30. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

OT link is 404! :(

31. pjohnsen

pjohnsen

32. PersonaPrima

PersonaPrima

Sorry for my english, i'm not a native speaker.

I installed MonoDevelop IDE, Mono 2.4 and downloaded required dll file. I put it in addin folder, after restarting monodevelop it asked me to install unity documenatition. And... that's all :) I don't see any documenation or code autocompletition (in unity classes). I found only one difference: a "unity" section in help menu.

Also i tryed to download and build MonoDevelop.Unity from svn, but there were 17 errors like: "The type or namespace core does not exist in namespace "Mono Develop".

Please, help. What should I do to get code autocompletition in unity3d classes? Even without inline documentation.

33. Reapazor

Reapazor

Alrighty time for some goodies, as people are probably noticing MD and Unity work alot better now thanks to some fine work by the UT people (and Lucas).

Code completion is sorta there with the Unity DLL's but they still lack documentation.

After people having issues I've branched a bit and have started just making flat out installers that handle everything for you.

That being said, just finished the Mac one ...

http://download.dotbunny.com/unity/documentation/mac/monodevelop-2.6.0f7-002.zip

I'll be finishing up the Windows one to handle installing 'documentation' for VS and MonoDevelop in one go tonight as well.

The real purpose of the plugin was to get the inline docs in, and some shortcuts ... im debating the purpose of it if I just make installs for the docs.

34. Reapazor

Reapazor

35. Reapazor

Reapazor

I created a seperate thread that I will keep updating here

36. UnityAndI

UnityAndI

hi,

I downladed the mono framework and monodevelop, latest versions. I also installed v003 of the add-in on this page:
    http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=IDE_Documentation

I have auto-completion and can open files from within Unity, which is both absolutely great!

But I'm having trouble with the documentation. Should the add-in be working?

I also don't see any key bindings in the Preferences for searching Unity docs.
    How would you normally look up docs from within MD?

Thanks for developing all this great stuff, great to be able to work on a mc with auto-completion without the vmware stuff :).

37. sacredgeometry

sacredgeometry

I have installed the dll but there is no auto complete, being new to mono develop is there any thing i have to do ontop of installing the dll.

38. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

39. Reapazor

Reapazor

40. DASARADHI

DASARADHI

HI Matthew Davey, can you please send me the monodevelop.unity , because that above link is not working , Thanks for u r help

41. Waz

Waz

MonoDevelop is installed (optionally) when you install Unity.