Search Unity

Monodevelop Sucks

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Elecman, Mar 15, 2012.

1. mgear

mgear

2. Venryx

Venryx

Wow, I didn't know about the following until reading that, and googling it to make sure you were talking about UnityVS (it's now being developed by Microsoft and is free!): http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2014/07/29/visual-studio-tools-for-unity-1-9.aspx

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  3. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Yes, Microsoft acquired syntax tree. It does require visual studio pro or higher as express doesn't allow plugins but you can get that free with the bizspark program or with dreamspark if you are a student in a subscribing school.

4. AaronC

AaronC

Ok so Monodevelop doesn't even open now. Icon sits in dock, open-like but can't get to the actual script editor? I get the top of the window menu options but it refuses to open a script.

I wish Unity Tech would stop hawking this shovelware. I'm about to teach a dozen students why their script editor is utter crap and no I don't know why.

5. SteveJ

SteveJ

I just recently switched off of MonoDevelop. I rebuilt my machine (MacOS) and did a fresh install of Unity (and MonoDevelop). Out of the box it started doing this weird indenting crap that it had never done before - giving me code along the lines of:

Code (csharp):
    2. if (whatever) {
    3.             dostuff();
    4.             whatever();
    5.         }
    7.     somethingelse();
    9.         blah();
    All over the place! And this was on the default settings. I didn't change anything to cause it, and nothing that I did change would fix it.

I was running a Windows 8.1 VM for a couple of things anyway, so now it's all Visual Studio and I'm never going back. Never, I tell you!

:)

6. guavaman

guavaman

If you're using Windows, save everyone the headaches and tell your students to sign up for DreamSpark and they'll get Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate free, plus a ton of other stuff. BizSpark is the version for new startups. You will never look back. There is an MS rep here who posted the other day in this thread who can get you set up I'm sure: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/vi...l-your-unity-development.120327/#post-1842043

7. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I believe the school needs to enroll in dreamspark and give access to the students, depending on what level we're talking about. I agree though, for accredited schools, dreamspark and unityvs is the way to go. Looking at the ops resume though, I don't think he teaches at a school.

8. guavaman

guavaman

Okay, I didn't realize that. Good to know.

9. AaronC

AaronC

It is at a school, and on Macs.
    My immediate issue is at home though, also on Mac. I can install ScriptEditor2 or use Unitron and I guess we'll just use Unitron at the school too.

10. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

while monodevelop is crappy in general, it still looks like an issue specific to your setup and that wouldn't likely affect your students.

11. AaronC

AaronC

I had one student double click on a script, and MD bounced a few times then closed before it even opened, so I'm a bit concerned about walking a class through it. We're only doing basic scripting (next week) so will look to Unitron, either as a primary tool or backup.

Its just been so problematic for such a long time I don't know why Unity tech didn't just invest more time into Unitron instead.

12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, if you think Script Inspector 2 is a better option than Unitron use that then. Don't worry about licenses, if M$ can do that then you have my blessing for Si2 too, just use your copy on school Macs.

13. AaronC

AaronC

Awesome thanks! I appreciate that.

Flipbookee likes this.
  14. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

Flipbookee and guavaman like this.
  15. Elecman

Elecman

16. SteveJ

SteveJ

Has anyone tried out Community 2013 with Unity running on MacOS? I can't get it to work using the normal approach of adding the reference paths for Unity.

If anyone else plays around and gets it working, let me know.

17. SteveJ

SteveJ

All good. Figured out you have to remove the path references and then add them again. Don't know why, but there you go.