Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MonoDevelop not starting up on Mac

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Jibidiah, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Jibidiah

Jibidiah

MonoDevelop isn't starting up on my Mac. I can try to open a script with it and the MonoDevelop icon shows up in the Dock and just flashes like 5 times then disappears. I tried just opening up MonoDevelop and it does the same thing.

Anybody have a solution?

Vishvesh8 likes this.
  2. Jibidiah

Jibidiah

I would really like some help with this because it's happening on all the macs in my teacher's class and we really don't want to use Unitron

Vishvesh8 likes this.
  3. GuySmiley

GuySmiley

Same here.

It happens whether I start it from within Unity or click on the monodevelop icon in the Unity applications folder.

I checked to make sure I'm up-to-date with the latest Unity (3.4.2f3).

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks.

Vishvesh8 likes this.
  4. MCorrin

MCorrin

I am having the same problem. Monodevelop will open from the root account where it was installed but not from any others.

5. j2games

j2games

Same issue here, driving me nuts!

6. Sammer

Sammer

It looks like it's a permissions thing...

Right click on MonoDevelop in the Finder and select 'Show Package Contents", right click on the 'Contents' folder and select "Get Info" down at the bottom of the info window, for 'Everyone' change the 'Sharing and Permissions' from 'read only' to 'read and write'. Finally click the wheel icon at the very bottom and choose 'Apply to enclosed Items'.

Hth,

Sam

7. Seven

Seven

Just had a similar problem on a first time install on a mac.

Can vouch for the permissions theory, i found setting the account I was attempting to open MonoDevelop in to admin status worked fully. Sammer's solution allowed me to open the program, however it only displayed the graphics correctly, all the text displayed as gibberish.

spivey56 likes this.
  8. alechko03

alechko03

Hey Sammer your solution worked like a charm..thank you!

9. Martin SHP

Martin SHP

We just had the same issue in our Mac lab. Managed accounts fail to run Monodevelop, while Standard accounts on all machines (OS X 10.6) launch the app, but with all font display missing (screens show squares in place of each character)

Setting the Contents folder to Read/Write for everyone as described above fixed it, though I've had to change the account management on all of my machines to bypass Parental Controls.

10. GlorySimba

GlorySimba

Thanks a lot!

11. unity_bang

unity_bang

Thank you Sammer, your solution works :eek:

12. benjaminstrike

benjaminstrike

OMG IT WORKS!!!!!!!!

BTW: Don't forget to click on the weel thingy!

13. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

One more thing... if none of the above work.
    Same fix really but if you only have "everyone" in the sharing and permissions box, then click plus + sign, and add your name, change to read and write and then cog "Apply to all enclosed".
    do this for both the app itself and the contents folder.

14. Florensie

Florensie

Wow, thank you so much. It really helped. This is so much better.

15. mtalbott

mtalbott

Unfortunately, the permissions fix did not work for me.

here's my situation: On OSX 10.9 This issue started after I stupidly changed the name of the MonoDevelop.app. I changed it back but the damage is done. I've corrected the permissions, I've uninstalled and reinstalled several different versions of Unity. I'm tried to delete every remained Cache, Preference, and Log that I can find related to Unity or MonoDevelop but nothing has worked.

heres the log from when I launch MonoDevelop:
    Starting MonoDevelop-Unity
    ERROR: Add-in cache directory could not be created (Sharing violation on path /Volumes/SHARED/Users/Mike/Library/Caches/MonoDevelop-Unity-2.8/addin-db-001/addin-data/842601751)
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at MonoDevelop.Core.Setup.AddinSetupService.GetMainRepositoryUrl (UpdateLevel level) [0x00030] in /BuildAgent/work/cdfd0d7b6e2d2330/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Core/MonoDevelop.Core.Setup/AddinSetupService.cs:68
    at MonoDevelop.Core.Runtime.<RegisterAddinRepositories>m__20 (UpdateLevel v) [0x00000] in /BuildAgent/work/cdfd0d7b6e2d2330/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Core/MonoDevelop.Core/Runtime.cs:117
    at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectIterator>c__Iterator27`2[MonoDevelop.Core.Setup.UpdateLevel,System.String].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[String] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Core.Runtime.RegisterAddinRepositories () [0x00000] in /BuildAgent/work/cdfd0d7b6e2d2330/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Core/MonoDevelop.Core/Runtime.cs:117
    at MonoDevelop.Core.Runtime.Initialize (Boolean updateAddinRegistry) [0x0015c] in /BuildAgent/work/cdfd0d7b6e2d2330/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Core/MonoDevelop.Core/Runtime.cs:97
    FATAL ERROR [2014-10-16 08:25:30Z]: MonoDevelop-Unity failed to start. Some of the assemblies required to run MonoDevelop (for example gtk-sharp, gnome-sharp or gtkhtml-sharp) may not be properly installed in the GAC.
    System.InvalidOperationException: Extension node not found in path: /MonoDevelop/Core/PlatformService
    at Mono.Addins.ExtensionContext.GetExtensionObjects (System.String path, System.Type arrayElementType, Boolean reuseCachedInstance) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Addins.ExtensionContext.GetExtensionObjects (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.Addins.AddinManager.GetExtensionObjects (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Ide.DesktopService.Initialize () [0x0000b] in /BuildAgent/work/cdfd0d7b6e2d2330/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide/DesktopService.cs:44
    at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Run (System.String[] args) [0x00319] in /BuildAgent/work/cdfd0d7b6e2d2330/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide/IdeStartup.cs:163
    at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00017] in /BuildAgent/work/cdfd0d7b6e2d2330/monodevelop/main/src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide/IdeStartup.cs:551

anythoughts?

16. Vishvesh8

Vishvesh8

You are really a genius,Sammer.
    I am thankful to you.
    Once again thnx...

immersivio likes this.
  17. AustinusTheMighty

AustinusTheMighty

Thanks Sam Helped A Lot!!!! :):)

immersivio likes this.
  18. PawelSandra

PawelSandra

How can thing like this still be a problem after so many people wrote messages about this on forum? Anyway, Sammer's answer worked for me.

19. _Prime_

_Prime_

Thanks Sam your solution worked perfectly.
    I appreciate the help you have given to me.

once again Thanks.

Flynn

immersivio likes this.
  20. Anhvuive

Anhvuive

Thank you so much! It worked!

immersivio likes this.
  21. springof

springof

Sammer solution is good, it is really permission problem.Thanks very much.
    But I do not find Apply to enclosed Items', instead I use "sudo chmod -R 777 *" in shell with command.

Sorry for my poor Chinenglish.

immersivio likes this.
  22. Thomas-Ceule

Thomas-Ceule

sammer thank you very much

immersivio likes this.
  23. immersivio

immersivio

SOLVED, it was permission problem.

Thanks sam.

24. smitprit

smitprit

wait what wheel icon?

25. Jonas Breider

Jonas Breider

Works perfekt !!

26. Churbow

Churbow

Thank you so much. This worked, it's been driving me crazy! ;)

27. drewmeredith

drewmeredith

Another thing you can do is drag monodevelop to your desktop then right click and click compress then wait and use the monodevelop that pops up with the icon not the zip file.

28. macchine

macchine

Thank you!!!!

29. Kronnect

Kronnect

30. cannedsanchez

cannedsanchez

the settings cog like icon

31. waqas_haxhmi

waqas_haxhmi

If not resolve then try to remove folder ~/Library/Prefrence/MonoDevelop-Unity-5.0

32. TheCyanCreeper

TheCyanCreeper

it's still not working for me after all things suggested

33. pamigia

pamigia

MonoDevelop-Unity quit unexpectedly.
    Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

34. pamigia

pamigia

i can't open MonoDevelop-Unity quit unexpectedly - and just flashes like then disappears.
    help me! pix error

35. mengyang0726

mengyang0726

Hi Sammer, I followed exactly all steps that you wrote, while Im still not able to open MonoDevelop. Im using Mojave 10.14.1

36. mengyang0726

mengyang0726

I think Monodevelop doesn't support Mac High Sierra version and above, can change the "preference" -> "external tools" -> "external script editor" to Visual Studio Code, which is an alternative solution for this issue.

37. saqibhayatgss

saqibhayatgss

Tried all the solutions and nothing worked, then restarting a PC worked for me :p

38. KhushalVR

KhushalVR

39. KhushalVR

KhushalVR

Same