Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Monodevelop not providing autocomplete?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ssmncrf, Apr 20, 2019.

1. ssmncrf

ssmncrf

I recently updated my Unity editor from 5.6.5 to 2018.3.12f1. Everything else works fine, but monodevelop isn't providing the dropdown anymore, which makes my scripting much harder as I have to go back and check that I'm using the correct names for things. Does anyone know a fix for this?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Since 2017.x Unity no longer uses Monodevelop; Visual Studio Community 2017 is the one to be used now. :)

Ryiah likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

4. Brathnann

Brathnann

Or Visual Studios Community 2019, which I find has some nice additions over 2017.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity does not use Visual Studio 2019 yet. It's better using the version that is adapted to Unity to avoid any problem.

6. Brathnann

Brathnann

Actually, it does. When you install Visual Studios 2019, it has the option to install the Unity package and it works 100%. That is actually the nice thing about the newer Visual Studios, you can install just what you need for Unity.

And Unity has already released a video on tips and tricks for using VS 2019. Now if you are using a super old Unity I wouldn't, but OP said they upgraded to 2018.3.12, so they should be good there.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

The Unity downloader doesn't offer to install VS 2019, probably because 2017 is installed on my computer but if VS 2019 was required it would propose it. So, as long as it doesn't I'll stick to VS 2017.

Capture.JPG

8. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

I think its 2018 actually, im on 2017.4 and mono works fine with auto complete and all.

OP, you need to use VS with the new generation if unity.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nope, 2017.x. :)

10. Brathnann

Brathnann

Oh yeah, use whatever you want. I'm just letting people know VS 2019 is an option and as it has new features, some might be interested in switching. I have and all the new additions to me are worth it. Already have my team at work switched over as well.

11. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep, I remembered 2017 because I had to roll back to it back then. Simple confusion. :)

13. nubdev

nubdev

Say I am used to monodevelop and dont want to shift to visual studio at the current time. Is it possible to get autocomplete and intellisense working for 2019.4 with an older monodevelop? Does virtual studio differ a lot, or does it have autocomplete working too?

Virtual studio seems to want an internet connection and login, and says my trial period has ended. Does unity now require a seperate subscription to microsoft visual studio for development?
    Any assistance is appreciated, thank you.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  14. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

You can use visual studio community for free and it comes with Unity 2019. I think you do need to log in with your free microsoft account to use it first time, but doesn't require an internet connection after that. Yes it has IntelliSense.

15. nubdev

nubdev

Thanks for the reply.