Search Unity

MonoDevelop in 2017.3.0b1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by spacepluk, Oct 4, 2017.

1. spacepluk

spacepluk

It looks like MonoDevelop is missing in the new beta, or at least is doesn't apear in the list of available components. Is it deprecated?
    Thanks,

ping @Tak

2. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

If you go into 'Preferences > External Tools' and set the 'External Script Editor' dropdown to Monodevelop, a button to download it will appear.

However, the address it links to is invalid.

3. spacepluk

spacepluk

4. lassade

lassade

5. spacepluk

spacepluk

This sounds like it might have fallen between the cracks.

ping @PJayB

6. PJayB

PJayB

Unity Technologies

FROS7, spacepluk and lassade like this.
  7. truecrisis

truecrisis

I'm having a horrible experience trying to get an editor working. I've tried Visual Studio Code, JetBrains Rider, and now going back to install an old version of Unity to get the packaged Monodevelop.

Luto_Akino and Rs like this.
  8. PJayB

PJayB

Unity Technologies

What kind of issues were you experiencing? I've been using VSCode successfully with the Unity Editor.

9. truecrisis

truecrisis

With Rider I experienced something similar to this:
    https://github.com/JetBrains/resharper-unity/issues/163
    (It was giving errors on things like "void" and had like 600 errors on Unity libraries or something)

With Visual Studio Code, it looked promising, but then autocomplete wasn't working and I had little patience to figure it out after messing with Rider for so long.

After installing unity 2017.2, copying its monodevelop into the latest release, and setting the external editor manually, I'm now good.

10. dvoidis

dvoidis

If monodevelop is to be removed completely from unity. Some love really needs to be put into including an alternative editor in the unity package. I personally really like monodevelop and the workflow i get using it.

11. lassade

lassade

@truecrisis I was having the same problems with vscode and after little digging I found out that after you installed the vscode and all it's plugins you still gonna need:

1. Make sure the mono is updated, the packages could be old on the default repos (like in my case) so it wont work download them at http://www.mono-project.com/download/#download-lin-centos use centos packges if you are on fedora.

2. Then install the .NET CLI https://www.microsoft.com/net/learn/get-started/linuxfedora, just chose your distro from the dropdown then follow the instructions.

And now I have everything set it up. I do not test debugging BTW;

I'm felling very uncomfortable with the editor for the time been :( I guess it will take a while to get use to it

Markkus likes this.
  12. Vegaasdfasdfafadfad

Vegaasdfasdfafadfad

Cannot believe they just deleted all Monodevelop from the Unity download. Unbelievable stupidity.

It was a great IDE and Unity needs *more* IDE environments to choose from not less!

Consolidation in everything - even IDE's is *not* good for the community.

Luto_Akino likes this.
  13. Luto_Akino

Luto_Akino

i updated recently, and seriously, was a bad decision. Monodevelop was great, easy, intuitive, and friendly. Now, I feel like I'm riding a bicycle with the controls of a spacecraft. something tottally unnecesary. i feel really sad and pissed off, now i need to learn about all that controls and shorcuts, for god sake, i only want to finish my game.......... sorry for the claims. i really hate VS in this moment.:(:mad::(:mad::(:(:(:(:(:(

14. lassade

lassade

You can still use the monodevelop that ships with older versions, with the new ones.

I only tested this with like the 2017.3 (I guess) using the monodevelop shiped with 2017.1. It doesn't come to mind a any reason why it shouldn't work with newer version tho

15. Luto_Akino

Luto_Akino

I decided to stay with Visual Studio, but! since I updated, my game on Android launches many strange errors; For example, right now the main character's controls disappear, the main character's movement is shaken, and the initial cutscenes of Mission 1 are not played (i have not test the other missions yet). and not only that, in Visual Studio I get a constant error that says "An exception has been encountered. This may be caused by an extension." and it show a path to an archive called ActivityLog.xml. This Update is killing me seriously, if i not find solution i going to back to old Unity versions.