Search Unity

MonoDevelop Feedback

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by lukaszunity, Dec 14, 2015.

1. andyz

andyz

Not only that with our js project I can no longer search *.js files in the solution and the scripts are not visible in a list in the solution view on the left. If this a 'feature' and not something gone wrong it makes js all but unusable with the new MonoDevelop. Should those things be working?

2. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Your UnityScript project and files should be visible in the solution view. Is "Add .unityproj to .sln" unchecked in Preferences / External Tools? Unchecking this option will exclude the UnityScript projects from be included in the solution.

3. andyz

andyz

OK it started working by itself thanks - not too sure what happened there! Maybe side by side installs broke it

4. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

@lukaszunity
    I see! Thank you for clarifying!

Also, while mostly not working with UnityScript, I'd say the option of actually using it is pretty limited when there is no auto complete, right? You may still be able to compile, but why bother writing in .js files when you will have to type out all the stuff?

andyz likes this.
  5. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

I'm not going to speak for every developer out there, whether code completion is a necessity or not. It is for every developer to decide for herself/himself :)

6. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Yes, of course! :D If you want to keep supporting UnityScript, however, I guess there should be auto complete. It's just a very basic feature that many people could / should (?) be able to make use of:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/09/03/documentation-unity-scripting-languages-and-you/
    Unless, of course, UnityScript is going to be scrapped eventually. In that case, it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

andyz likes this.
  7. OIdamoh

OIdamoh

Hi, i already started a separate discussion for my Problem with Monodevelop before finding this thread. But this should be the right place.

I have a strange error when attaching the debugger of monodevelop to unity process:

Debugger.jpg

The second line says "Field not found" :)

I can guess what it means but it makes it impossible to debug my project. Is this a known issue?
    The Editor stops execution but the breakpoints (as the message indicates) are not found.

Edit: The error occurs when at least one breakpoint was set. Either before Debugging or during Debugging. It reads and seems like the Determination of the position of a breakpoint is broken.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  8. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Hey, which version of MonoDevelop and Unity are using?

9. XuTenTen

XuTenTen

Hi, lukas

I'm using the MonoDevelop version with Unity5.3.2f,but I found that the command line tool for Mac OS has gone?
    Where should I found it?

10. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Which command line tool are you referring to?

11. OIdamoh

OIdamoh

Hi lukas,

Im using Unity 5.3.2.p2 and Monodevelop 5.9.6 on windows8 64bit.

Hope that helps. Debugging with LogMessages is quite a pain in the a... :)

Thx in Advance

12. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Hi, could you file a bug report with a repro case and post the case number here? Then we can investigate.

13. XuTenTen

XuTenTen

I think it was called "mdtool" in the Mlnodevelop content, like the pic uploaded. I'm using it in a automatic compile flow on MacOS

I update to Unity 5.3.3p1 and still can't find it.

Attached Files:

• mono.png
      mono.png
      File size:
      54.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  14. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

The script is no longer included in MonoDevelop 5.9.6. If you look at the script in 4.0.1 you will see that all it does is use the system mono to call /lib/monodevelop/bin/mdtool.exe.

Code (csharp):
    1. mono <unity directory>/MonoDevelop.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/monodevelop/bin/mdtool.exe

15. XuTenTen

XuTenTen

Thank you for your reply. I'll try that.

16. kebrus

kebrus

Sorry to dig this, but there is something seriously bugging me these past months.

With the code analysis one I usually use the minimap. But at least for me the minimap is completely broken. If I click anywhere in the minimap sometimes it works and I can scroll, others times it just jumps to somewhere random in the file. Its irritating to say the least. At first I thought this was simply a problem with the minimap but if I turn it off the same happens in the scrollbar, if you try click and dragging in the scrollbar most of the time it wont respond correctly.

I did a clean install, removed the appdata files and nothing seems to work, I still have the old 4.0 version in my system and it works flawlessly.

Can anyone else reproduce this problem?

[edit]also, shouldn't the editor color scheme picker show a preview of the text in the left column?[/edit]

17. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Is this on Windows? This could sound like a GTK# issue. Could you try to check whether you have multiple installations of GTK# and make sure that only the latest version is installed.

You can also try the 5.10 preview build and see if you still have the same issue.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/monodevelop-unity-5-10-preview-release.396102/

18. petey

petey

Hi there,

I'm coding in C now but I still have to work with a lot of Unityscript files and I've been having an awful time editing them in the latest monodevelop.
    It doesn't open on the error line, it barely does any code highlighting, folding doesn't work, autocomplete doesn't work.
    Is unityscript support dropping off in monodevelop?

I was thinking it might be nice to have an option to choose a different editor for each language. I have to keep switching at the moment because I can make Sublime work pretty well for .js files but I'd prefer to be in monodevelop for c stuff.

Thanks,
    Pete

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  19. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Yes, we code completion and other features for UnityScript and Boo are not supported since Unity 5.3 which included the MonoDevelop 5.9 upgrade. We recommend that developers use C# for the best possible development experience.

You can add your idea for multiple script editors on Unity Feedback and if this idea gets enough tracking, we might considering implementing it :) We currently have no plans to support multiple script editors.