Search Unity

MonoDevelop debugging always hangs when attempting to attach to Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Tiktaalik, Dec 6, 2013.

1. cryptoforge

cryptoforge

Please fix this! This is extremely important for development.

2. Andrey-Postelzhuk

Andrey-Postelzhuk

3. cryptoforge

cryptoforge

Just did. How many votes does it need before works starts anyway?

4. greg-harding

greg-harding

Debugging OS X Unity has been absolutely terrible for us for the last few years. We haven't been able to reliably attach OS X MonoDevelop (or Xamarin) to Unity 3.x/4.x/5.x and do any useful debugging. It seemed that each release that mentioned it was all working again would see things immediately broken by the next version. Debugging large projects with Debug.Log is pretty frustrating.

drawcode likes this.
  5. jokigenki

jokigenki

What I've noticed is that Monodevelop will hang if there is more than one Unity instance listed in the attach dialog. I thought this was strange, so I opened up Activity Monitor and there was a second instance running, using ~50% CPU. this was not the instance I was using, and I have no idea how it was launched. After I force quit this instance, I could debug with MonoDevelop again.

EDIT - just tried to use the debugger with Unity 5. Only one instance of Unity Editor open, still hung. However, I got it to work by going into Preferences -> Unity -> Debugger and deselecting "Build project in MonoDevelop". Just to check, I reselected that option, and it hung again.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  6. Allen_Fei

Allen_Fei

broken under MacOSX 10.10.2/unity 4.6.3. Hopefully Unity will fix this soon. Debugging is very very important and a convenient way to develop. Btw, the version of MonoDevelop is still 4.0.1 for a long term.

cryptoforge likes this.
  7. drawcode

drawcode

One of the most defeating bugs of the Unity development pipeline on OSX. Unity you started on Mac, please fix this. I'd rather a hard crash than a beachball. This bug bites in frustrating moments of debugging usually, verification or in general not fun moments, so it leads to Unity cursing. Sorry Unity, help out your developers through the deeper digs.

EDIT: Since it is a time based bug based on how long the 'Attach to Process' dialog is open. I went into MonoDevelop preferences and disabled all add-ins for debugging then just enabled only unity debugging. I also set the Unity Debugger as the preferred debugger on the Preferred Debugger tab under MonoDevelop > Preferences > Debugging. This allows me to hit 'Attach' or the top item more quickly and beat the 3000/4000 ms timeout where it enters beachball abyss and back to pointer recursive hell state. It doesn't work all the time but it works more of the time.

This bug seems like such an easy fix for checking timeouts on debugging libraries, wish it would be fixed soon but it is probably something easy under a bigger pile.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    cryptoforge likes this.
  8. sfx

sfx

I experience the same problem, so I thought it'd be a good idea and vote for the bug to be fixed. I found these two entries in the tracker:

http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/mono-develops-attach-to-process-window-hangs-on-osx
    http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/iss...-to-process-window-causes-md-to-freeze-on-osx

The latter is marked as a duplicate of the former, which in turn has the status "Fixed in a future release". So on both voting is disabled. Both instanced have been tagged with different severities and priorities though.

What I find weird: Why would you disable voting when you schedule something for an (undefined) future release? You take away your chance to reconsider your own priorities based on user's feedback.

9. drawcode

drawcode

At least for me this is working in 5.0.1p3 and they have it in the release notes for that build.
    • (669208), (675021), (690162) - MonoDevelop: Fixed issue with Attach to Process dialog making MonoDevelop unresponsive on OSX.
    Somebody is big pimpin in Unity right now for being a hero. Thanks!

I put in a 14 hour day yesterday because I was freely debugging on/off as needed and I felt like a kid running into Disneyland, just debugging random things to see it work again.

10. malibar1

malibar1

i am still at a loss of words of this issue, its been tearing me down. i just started unity maybe a week ago and i still cant get the thought out of my head that i might of hit a button somewhere or something. i can not debug anything, when i go to the "run > run with" drop down, there is nothing there, there is unity debugger there, but upon trying to debug it disappears. i have restarted multiple times, uninstalled and reinstalled unity twice when i try running theres a little target icon or sometimes a moving plug.

whats worse is it worked fine for my whole week using it but then suddenly after doing a tutorial it just became unusable...
    i am using a macbook Pro running yosemite 10.10.3

11. Andrey-Postelzhuk

Andrey-Postelzhuk

Did you try new version of Unity? Unity team have already fixed the issue.

12. JHSV

JHSV

Still experiencing this issue with Mac OSX 10.11.6 and Unity 5.3.3p3. If I attach and then start playback, it freezes. If I start playback and then attach, it seems to run more successfully. But if I stop playback after attaching and attempt to restart it, it may or may not freeze.