Search Unity

Monodevelop Auto-Complete Problem

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JesusMartinPeregrina, Dec 21, 2013.

1. JesusMartinPeregrina

JesusMartinPeregrina

Hi guys, I have searched in the forums and there are some topics about the auto-complete problem, but none of the gave me a solution.

My problem is that the autocomplete feature always replace my code, so if I write
    Code (csharp):
    1. target
    as soon as I press dot for write a dot monodevelop write
    Code (csharp):
    1. TargetGlesGraphics
    I want my autocomplete box there, but I dont want it change my code automatically, only if I press enter.
    I though I would get this behaviour checking auto-completion and unchecking aggressively trigger code completion list in the general settings, but unchecking aggressively trigger code completion list does nothing.

2. JesusMartinPeregrina

JesusMartinPeregrina

Nobody?
    Please?
    I have been working with this issue for a month and it is really annoying...

3. Spooky_Ghost

Spooky_Ghost

I constantly struggle with this issue as well. I have to keep a close eye on the autocomplete, or it incorrectly writes something game-breaking into the code that I did not type or want there. It seems like pressing "Enter" should auto complete, but pressing "Space Bar" should not.

Is there something elementary here that I am missing?

4. MrBorogove

MrBorogove

Looks like the creators of MonoDevelop optimize autocomplete for maintenance of existing code, rather than writing new code. The comment thread on the bug report is, let's say, terribly depressing. https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=12547

There's an Edit -> Toggle Completion Suggestion Mode menu item, but it doesn't seem to persist?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  5. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hello guys.

I'm having this problem too... I've tried changing my vars in order to no match the autocompletion ones, but it's very hard as all the 'good' ones like "player", "target", and lots of others are 'taken' by the evil auto'writer'.

I think Monodevelop-Unity is opensource right? Perhaps some good soul could just remove that trigger (the "." one) from it and redistribute us the binaries :).

Monodevelop is the best editor for Javascript because it's the only one that analyses the code, however, it's a pain because it breaks your code as you write and none of the 'pads' works, not even a simple outliner. People generally think autocompletion with code analysis is not necessary but that's bullshit imho, how am I supposed to know all the classes, variables, functions, inherited members and parameters of all stuff? Perhaps my memory is just awful but it's impossible to fit all that data in it :). So it's extremely useful for me when it suggests stuff according to the type of the variable in question.

Javascript/Unityscript really needs a better editor.