Search Unity

Monodevelop and Unity 2018

Discussion in 'Linux' started by qrikko, Sep 23, 2018.

1. qrikko

qrikko

Hi,

I have tried to understand something for some releases now but for some reason I don't find the information that I seek, so I think a question is due.

When I were running Unity at version 5 (And I think early 2017 versions) I got a version of Monodevelop that worked very well with Unity, integration worked well and debugging were never a problem. However when I install with the "new" installation tool rather than the "old" shell-script I don't get a version of monodevelop.

I have tried using a native version but this also seem to be strange, as monodevelop seem to have been acquired by microsoft (? I am so confused in general right now :p) and so it's no longer distributed in any repository (kind of). I am using OpenSuse, and I found a way to install mono anyway through some service that isn't really doing it for me, it works sure, but nah.

So I am confused as to how this is supposed to work, and is it still monodevelop that should be used when developing on linux, and if so am I supposed to compile it myself because I believe that the monodevelop from Unity were heavily changed from the repo versions, so it isn't really the same thing to run a native one is it?