Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Monobehavior's bad behavior

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tawdry, Jun 13, 2018.

1. tawdry

tawdry

Hi
    Anyone else find they can't copy paste to monobehavior from webpages if its been open for more than a minute or so its super annoying everytime having to restart it just to be able to copy paste stuff.
    Any solution for the issue?

2. tsibiski

tsibiski

Do you mean MonoDevelop? And, MonoDevelop is painfully old and wonky. I'd download Visual Studios and set your default IDE to that via Unity settings.

3. MWizard

MWizard

If you like Visual Studio, I would side with tsibiski. I, personally, like Notepad++ but it doesn't automatically populate with the imported API as you type, so Visual Studio is really helpful for that.

Monodevelop was actually very reliable for me, I don't like Visual Studio

4. tsibiski

tsibiski

I love Notepad++ as well, although to my knowledge, it isn't available on Macs, where I now do all of my coding. Does Notepad allow for compilation/debugging too? That would make it more useful for full project coding. I ended up using it to rapidly and easily switch between file types for editing - and take care of non compiled scripts, but my compiled code writing was always in VS. Although it is very much a case of different strokes for different folks.

5. MWizard

MWizard

I'm not entirely sure about the compilation and debugging. I know you cannot compile within notepad without calling VS or something, if that makes sense. I think it's just a fancy text editor that color codes, and with the right settings, can also autofill. To my knowledge, the latest version of Unity does not have a specific API folder or whatever to match the Notepad++ setup guide for autocompleting, etc, so I'll have to get back to you on that. lol.

6. tawdry

tawdry

Yes i meant monodevelop so vs is a faster loading stable option?Isn't the garbage collector linked somehow with monobehavior?

7. MWizard

MWizard

VS isn't faster, persay. I would say loading/stable would be notepad++, but VS is rarely unstable and it does take a little longer on initial loading.

On garbage collector, that is over my realm of knowledge atm.