Search Unity

Monetization is obsolete 'Deprecated'. Please use Advertisement

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by 00christian00, Jan 2, 2020.

1. 00christian00

00christian00

I just finished upgrading my code to the new Monetization namespace and I noticed Visual studio was complaining about the Monetization namespace.
    I go watch what it is, and it is depracated?!
    Come on guys, it's hard to keep up with you. It was introduced, what, 1 year ago?
    Luckily it was a very short code.

2. 00christian00

00christian00

3. chanon81

chanon81

I would also like some clarification on this. I was using the Monetization API which is still in the docs as the way to implement "Personalized Placements":
    https://unityads.unity3d.com/help/unity/api-unity#monetization
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c....html#integration-for-personalized-placements

However, now it says it is deprecated and to use Advertisements instead!?

So does the Advertisements API support "Personalized Placements" already? Cause it doesn't seem to have the same API as Monetization did.

4. ajepson

ajepson

I'd also like an answer to this. Ads won't play outside of the editor either.

5. sbankhead

sbankhead

Unity Technologies

There will be better communication about this in the coming weeks. The deprecation was put in so that developers were aware of the upcoming changes that will be taking place. For anyone not using personalized placements, the Advertisements namespace should cover everything you need to do for showing ads and banners. For customers using personalized placements there will be a migration path that will be disclosed in the future with instructions on how to migrate as necessary. As soon as more details are ready they will be shared.

ajepson, ArcticLazer31 and chanon81 like this.
  6. ajepson

ajepson

Just so I'm clear on this, regular ads play fine with the Advertisements namespace, however reward ads will not work until more info is released? I tried using the documentation for the new integration for reward ads, but it isn't working properly. However, the regular ads are working fine.

7. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@ajepson
    All ad types (rewarded video, interstitial, banner, playables, display) work correctly with the Advertisement namespace.

Could you provide more information about the issue you're having with rewarded ads?

8. ajepson

ajepson

I copied the information dealing with rewarded ads buttons into my script (changing the gameIDs for my specific project). The interactivity with the button remains non-interactive at all times. When I manually toggle interactivity on the button and press it, I get a message in the console stating it failed to initialize.

9. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

Please, Is the Migration Guide is ready?

This is very confusing because the editor keeps telling to switch from Monetization to Advertisements, but the documentation is still pointing to use Monetization.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.ads@3.4/manual/MonetizationBasicIntegrationUnity.html

I could not find the Advertisements class, only Advertisement, but there things missing on it.

What should I really use?

1 - Monetization (3.4.2) from Asset Store - https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/add-ons/services/unity-monetization-66123
    2 - Advertisement (3.4.2) from Package Manager
    3 - Activate Ads on Services Window

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    mikeburns likes this.
  10. BatteryPower

BatteryPower

So... Let me get this right... Implemented a new namespace, didn't deploy it with any documentation, but it's mandatory.... "The type or namespace name 'Advertisement' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

Cheers for that.....

11. BatteryPower

BatteryPower

Now getting
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.ads@3.4.2\Runtime\Monetization\AndroidPlacementContentOperations.cs(55,40): error CS0433: The type 'IUnityLifecycleManager' exists in both 'UnityEngine.Advertisements.Editor, Version=3.4.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' and 'UnityEngine.Advertisements, Version=3.4.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

In Unity 2019.3.0f6

I've performed a full uninstall of unity & add-ins (SDK/JDK)
    Updated to package manager Advertisements version 3.4.2

Can't build now.

12. BatteryPower

BatteryPower

[SOLVED]
    Had to delete the imported items from the Asset Store, now there are no duplicates, builds ok.

antony_morar likes this.
  13. Lancelot7

Lancelot7

Will there be a problem if I continue using monetization? I don't know if my project would break or something like that ..

14. HectorOfPriamos

HectorOfPriamos

Hi there,
    I have the same issue and tried to delete the folder came with the Monetization asset from the asset store but unfortunately it says some dll files might be hooked so I can't delete them.