Search Unity

Monetization For an App vs Monetization For a Game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Peysbubby, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Peysbubby

Peysbubby

Hello everyone!

I have been using Unity for quite awhile now and I almost have an app ready for release, there are just a few things left for me to do.

1. I need to figure out how to monetize my app:

I have been doing research into this subject, and it appears to me that a good business model is for an app o be free to download, but in the app have an IAP that unlocks a premium version which unlocks more content. However for a game, the best way seems to be to have video ads that give the user a reward when watched. First, is this information I have found correct? And Second, Is doing the premium version of an app as a IAP a good idea?

Any info will be greatly appreciated since I am just trying to figure this out, I need as much help as I can get.

If you can think of an even better way to do it then what I found please let me know.

Thanks for your help in advance. -Tanner

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Personally, if find the videos of Extra Credits resourcefull for it,

Core Vids;

But i would suggest watch some videos about this, i PERSONALLY find that it is explained fairly good there.

3. LMan

LMan

This Podcast is required listening for anyone monetizing anything.

The most important thing to figure out when charging for something is what it is you are effectively charging for. While that seems like a no-brainer, it gets obfuscated when it comes to f2p and iap.

If you charge for the game, what is included in that purchase? Ad-free/offline play? Levels 1-10? multiple game saves? And how do you know what each of those things is worth?

When you put iap in a premium game, does it affect the value of what the player's have already purchased? If you sell super epic gear- does it make the game a cakewalk? And if it doesn't make the game easier, why are people buying it?

When you release a f2p game, and then charge for the next set of 10 levels in an iap, what you've effectively done is released a demo or preview- that isn't terrible on its own, but should you lock your best content (and therefore the best example of your game) behind a paywall, you are relying on a lesser quality preview to sell your better quality game. And if you use your best stuff in the preview, players will not be inclined to pay for the next set of inferior levels. Same problem if the next 10 levels are of exactly the same quality as the 1st. The player must then compare 10 more levels of the same experience to downloading a different game and having a new experience.

Placing Ads in a game is really lucrative only if you can expect high traffic, On the other hand, it is guaranteed that a player will view an ad, and it's not certain that a player will buy an iap.

Kiwasi likes this.