Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Moldicide

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Tor_Sprouted, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Tor_Sprouted

Tor_Sprouted

Hello there fellow Unity Creator People!
    My best friend and I have built out first game in Unity. It was challenging, fun, educational, and just a lot of hard work. It's called Moldicide.

The guy above is Chao, a janitor who has a bit of a mold problem.

It's a fast-paced anagram (or word scramble) game where you must make words as quick as you can to shoot, burn and blow up the approaching Moldie (office workers reanimated by a sentient evil mold) horde.

Check out the trailer:

Or watch the first 10 levels:

There are 50 story levels, a Survival mode, Boss levels, Challenge levels, 85,000 words, 2 dictionaries, 5 enemy types and 5 weapon types which both upgrade through the course of the game, 4 difficulties, as well as original music.

We launched a couple of months ago, and are trying to get the word out about it, at the same time we've begun work on our next game. Give us some "feels" as we both also have day jobs, and we wish we could just make games full time.

Moldicide fact sheet where you can play the web demo (from the home page).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Great job guys. Interesting art style, it's unique.

Tor_Sprouted likes this.
  3. Tor_Sprouted

Tor_Sprouted

Thanks theANIMATOR2b :) We went through quite a few design iterations to eventually land up with the final look. I'm a graphic/interface designer and not a professional illustrator, but I do doodle... so it was challenge to create a consistent look that worked across all the elements (enemy types, our hero, the weapons, as well as the chapter art).

I made a couple of design evolutions to show the progress from initial concept, to final art.

Colour was always something we knew would be important - both to indicate the strength of the weapon, but also to differentiate the moldies from one another. Finally, we decided the primary colours would be "good" colours and used them for the weapons. And secondary + tertiary colours (orange, green, purple, etc) would be the "bad" moldie colours.

It's tough to know whether the player ever appreciates this level of design "logic". One just hopes that it contributes to the overall aesthetic of the game.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila

This looks great! Fun and different. I will check it later when I get home.

Btw, Unitarian is a religion (sort of) so probably not the right word to use. lol I just happen to be Unitarian but I doubt I am the only person you are talking to.

theANMATOR2b and Tor_Sprouted like this.
  5. Tor_Sprouted

Tor_Sprouted

Haha... right you are. Edited to not offend any Jedis. ;) Thanks for the comment.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    Teila likes this.