Search Unity

Moire on Stretched Texture?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by tylercamp, Jan 6, 2017.

1. tylercamp

tylercamp

As shown in the attached image. I'm running Unity 5.4.1 on Windows.

The ground texture is 2048x2048 and stretched over just about the whole map. I've never seen moire on something as simple as a texture, and there are no nontrivial meshes that I can see.

I've tried cranking up the texture filter to Trilinear and 16x Anisotropy, but it's made no difference.

moire.PNG

2. SirDevin

SirDevin

I guess I don't understand your question...if you are referring to the banding that would be resolved by using HDR rendering on your camera. If you need it to tile then that would be done in the materials properties.

3. tylercamp

tylercamp

What would cause this banding? I don't see how enabling HDR would fix it.

4. bgolus

bgolus

It's possible the moire isn't the texture, this might be shadow acne. Do you have a light in the scene with no or small bias? Try turning off shadows or adjusting the biases to see if it goes away. Also, not knowing anything about the shader you're using or the mesh you're using it's hard to say if its something else.

5. SirDevin

SirDevin

6. tylercamp

tylercamp

Sorry I'm not in front of my computer to immediately test these

It was one of the built in Unity diffuse shaders

SirDevin - I believe there's not enough invariance that HDR would be necessary or improve the situation

bgolus - now that you mention it I believe It's very likely shadow acne. I hadn't seen anyone else on the team experience this artifacting, and I enabled shadows specifically on my build without configuring it

I'll post again when I can test

7. khlorghaal

khlorghaal