Search Unity

[RELEASED] ModularPro - socket based modular level design tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GanonM, Jul 31, 2019.

1. GanonM

GanonM

key-image-medium-v2.png

ModularPro is a state-of-the-art socket-based snapping tool that dramatically increases productivity for level design with modular assets. ModularPro brings modular building systems as seen in popular games like Rust to the editor, turbocharging your level design! ModularPro allows you to quickly and easily define sockets for each of your
    modular assets, then its powerful module snapping engine takes care of the rest.

EARLY ADOPTER DISCOUNTED PRICE $19.99

Available now in the Asset Store!

See the video below for a quick demonstration of ModularPro in action!

Features
    • Powerful socket based modular placement engine
    • Modular assets automatically snap to valid positions
    • Runs in-editor and has zero performance cost during gameplay
    • Custom socket configuration editor to minimise asset integration times
    • Lightweight and unintrusive - turbocharges level design then gets out of your way
    • Easily configure socket types and compatibilities rules between them, allowing for intelligent snapping
    • Turn any asset into a modular asset with intelligent snapping capabilities
    • Supports modular assets that don't conform to a strict grid
    • Doesn't rely upon collision checks, so overlapping or difficult to place assets are easily handled

How does it work?
    Add the Modular Asset component to your prefab
    • Use the custom editor to add, configure, and set pairing rules of sockets
    • Put this asset, and related assets, into a Module Set
    • Use the ModularPro component to place assets from your Module Set in the scene - unlocking full smart snapping functionality

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Neviah likes this.
  2. GanonM

GanonM

v1.0.0 now available

Hi everyone, ModularPro has been approved for sale in the Unity Asset Store and is now available! Feedback, feature requests or even just a shout-out if you think this might be useful to you are all appreciated. Introductory price for early adopters is $19.99. Thank you to everyone in the community who helped with suggestions and informative discussions during development. Please feel free to ask questions here or alternatively give me a shout on Discord

3. Magnitude9

Magnitude9

Wow - can't believe I'm just now finding this! I was trying to write something like this months ago and finally gave up. Excited to try it out. Can't seem to find anything on your Discord though ... is there an active channel?

4. GanonM

GanonM

Hi Magnitude, the Discord is pretty quiet - drop a message in the 'general' or 'modular-pro-supporty' channel and I'll get back to you ASAP. Glad to hear you think the tool might help you.

5. Magnitude9

Magnitude9

@GanonM Hi there ... this is what I see when I click the Discord link directly from the asset store link ... I don't see any channels for your Discord ... am I missing something?

upload_2019-10-25_6-13-44.png

6. GanonM

GanonM

Apologies, mistake on my part - I wasn't aware that it is not sufficient just to make your server public and provide a URL to the channel, you have to generate an invitation set to 'never expire' and share that.

This link should work - I'll update any references to the old link as soon as possible:

https://discord.gg/KyZ2VCx

HeadClot88 likes this.
  7. dock

dock

Does this work with arbitrary angles or is snapping to 90 degrees? Can I build walls at 30 or 45 degree angles from one another?

I would love to see more examples of hexagonal or octogonal walls built from a single wall piece.

8. GanonM

GanonM

Apologies for late response - yes, the tool supports arbitrary angles :)

I've put together a quick video demonstrating the assembly of a hexagonal structure using a simple mesh with 30 degree angled walls

One of the primary goals I keep in mind with this tool is to make it as generalised as possible, i.e. I've tried to avoid baking in any unnecessary assumptions about geometry, grids or angles.

Let me know if you've any other questions.

9. malditonuke

malditonuke

I had a problem with this asset causing constant CPU usage when placing a selected module. It turned out that the problem was in ModuleSceneManipulator.cs specifically SceneView.RepaintAll();

I see you added that because mouse movements don't always trigger a repaint on object render, which I confirmed after commenting out that line. However I was able to fix that issue by changing the method to run on the SceneView.duringSceneGui Action.

Uploading my quick fix..

Attached Files: