Search Unity

Modular Sci Fi System

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by larvantholos, Feb 4, 2012.

1. larvantholos

larvantholos

For the past month I've been working on this, and I'm finally ready to show it off. This is a modular system, there are a set of around 40 at the moment room, floor, wall, stair pieces to accommodate a variety of level designs. I'll be adding in a basic set of props, including lights, crates, and some random sci fi elements to complete the set. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Check out small webplayer example, with some of the pieces, all pieces are textured, normal mapped, specular mapped, and some of them also have emissive properties with a separate glow map.

Updated the scene. Its lit now, which means some areas will be dark, added some screen affected, and more props into the scene. I'd say its getting near to being "done" interested in more feed back tho.

Updated this again. Decided to learn a bit of shader stuff. Partly because I didn't want to have to suggest paying for a shader to get the affects in this scene. Note, you'll still need to get pro for real glow - but everything has its own emissive map. I've added 2 shaders, one is a diffuse, normal, spec map shader. And the other has glow input, for a glow map, as well as glow color, and glow intensity. You could animate the glow up and down, or turn it off completely, your choice. Since I'm making that change, I'll have to do some further texture editing before I get this to a final release state, stay tuned!
    WebPlayer Link Updated

Added in unity 3.5 webplayer now. With linear lighting, and different bloom setup.
    WebPlayer Link 3.5

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Looks realy nice :D good luck.

3. Demigiant

Demigiant

Looks interesting, though a little too old-sci-fi-school for my tastes :)

4. larvantholos

larvantholos

Yah, I can lighten it up. I was more interested in showing off the glow maps to be honest :)

5. larvantholos

larvantholos

Alright, went through added a couple more props, primarily fixed the light levels tho, and adjusted my materials to better match the spec maps attached to the objects. I hope the scene looks a bit better now. Also updated the original thread with some screen shots of individal props, as well as the set. There are about 45 objects, tho, some of them are pieces specific for fixing holes, this allows for many more possible configurations of the set than without.

6. TheCasual

TheCasual

Well, first things first , your architecture is nice, the layout is sweet, the flow is great, all in all , a well built presentation.

Now the dislike for me, is it doesnt feel sci fi'ish (this is just my opinion - dont take it to heart) , but instead , it almost reminds of , hmm, playing Vampire the Masqeurade or something , and heading into a specialized Lair for the nosferatu or something to that effect.

It may very well just be that it is kinda *an outdated* look as someone else mentioned in this thread. Either way , its still a real decent peice of work you got there.

7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That is awesome as hell... :) Liking it...

8. larvantholos

larvantholos

I've updated the original thread, and posted a new webplayer, lit the scene so there is a little more visual interest there.

What did you mean by outdated? I'm happy with the general feedback, I'm not sure what would make it more sci-fi - sci fi encompasses a broad genre of settings and places after all.

Couple more props likely, and a couple of animations (door stuff) and I'll be really to button this up into an asset pack.

9. Astero

Astero

Nice job, I like the style, but :
    When I see the exploded components screenshot, I think it must be hard to put pieces together, maybe you should regroup some components (for example, you make little segments of premade corridors, rooms parts, etc) so it's faster to put them together.

10. larvantholos

larvantholos

You could certainly do that yourself with unity's prefab system. Its actually not that hard to piece together, inside unity you have some good shortcuts for doing this sort of building CTRL+D for example, duplicates whatever is selected. Beyond that, there has recently been a number of tools released by different authors to help laying this type of stuff out inside unity editor. Additionally, the snapping options really help things get together without having to fuss to much with the placement.

If building inside unity is not your cup of tea however, it is going to ship in an fbx format, so you can throw it into any 3d editor that supports fbx and setup a scene rapidly in there as well.

I'll be releasing this soon. Thanks for your feed back.

11. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

I like it! What did you model these in? I'm kind of wary of using Blender for modular assets because I can't find a way to get precise measurements, and whenever I try to put together several models exported from sketchup I get little aliased white lines dividing them at certain angles.

12. larvantholos

larvantholos

You could do this in any modeling app (tho I understand sketch-up can be a little wary for accurate measurements) in this case I used 3ds max. I didn't use any special unit setup, I just used a specific measurement for the room sizes and went from there. :)

13. Astero

Astero

No problem, just asking.

14. larvantholos

larvantholos

Updated this, see original thread for details. More to come!

15. larvantholos

larvantholos

Forget to relink my webplayer, whoops, fixed now.

16. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

reminds me of a mixture between System Shock 1 and Quake :D

17. larvantholos

larvantholos

Thanks, check it out in 3.5 now ;)

18. MapMonkey

MapMonkey

A nice collection of assets. Thankfully SteamPunk is included in the overall genre of SciFil which is the style impression I got from them. (Appears to be inspired by Unreal's visual style at first look.)

Good use of of textures even while close up in webplayer. The rust looks to be lacking proper normalization as it doesn't appear to "sunk in" on vertical pieces enough. Nor does it really hammer into the raised "circuitry" portion of the normal map. Overall the texturing may be a little "too similar" as it tends to blend visually very well. (Texturing to maintain a style while providing variation and contrast is always a tough tightrope to walk.)

Ramp/Stairs angle is too steep. Causes player movement slowdown. While the Incline Angle -> Movement Adjustment should be able to be modified within the engine, it has been a while since I mucked about in Unity, so I forget if it has the feature. It would be better to pre-plan your asset design to include this factor.

Next round you may want to provide the typical level design scenarios of Red vs. Blue and the color coded areas (Engineering, Life, Bridge, etc). And show how the assets react with lighting: Team lighting and sectional lighting for the two already mentioned.

It's good to see proper modular asset design. With these assets you should stick with it and avoid bundling into Room/Corridor/SetPiece which should be handled by the Level Designer. :)

Will you be including stock Physic Materials. While you included no audio I fully expected the usual clank of boots on metal and would be shocked if the assets didn't react as metal plating. :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012