Search Unity

3D Modular Dungeon Catacombs

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by florianalexandru05, Nov 12, 2021.

1. creat327

creat327

this looks amazing, any chances this can run decently on a mid level mobile device?

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  2. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Hei, maybe this could be an indication for (Mobile version) you: https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...geons/modular-dungeon-catacombs-mobile-212016

This pack is going to be more high poly than the mobile one. I think it could run with the proper optimization but from what I tested it eats a few fps on lower-performant PCs but that's without optimization so we'll have to wait and see till it's finished and optimized. I'll do the final optimization at the very end. So far the vegetation is the main fps killer but I'm working on it.

3. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

I'm super impressed with this. When you say you think it's a bit too realistic I totally know what you mean.
    I know for sure it will be a little too realistic for my project, and I'm a fan of your high-quality handpainted style (whether or not it's based on photos or not is not important)
    Perhaps release those as separate photo-realistic packs and do an overpaint or something to make them match?

4. creat327

creat327

Yep I already have that package. I was wondering whether this one would be mobile optimized too. I like the grass and vegetation.

5. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Making the ground substances now. Still WIP because I will add a few more details like fallen leaves and such.

GraveyardNeedleGround.jpg

GraveyardNeedleGround2.jpg

6. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

this is phenomenal work // either it'd be a privelege to buy these content, or support the artist on Patreon . . .

amazing work, makes also life easier for Unity - devs, it's very, very photo - realistic, also detailed . . . .

7. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thank you for the comment! I'm hoping to finish this pack in a few months, it's pretty ambitious but I'm pushing through. I haven't found a good reason to open a Patreon yet so buying the package is enough for now but I will consider Patreon when I have made more high-quality content! :)

8. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

is there any way you could make a PS2, PS3, and PS4 quality version, of these things, sort - of bit more low - poly, and perhaps a few less textures, right now looking for PS2 - quality content for prototypes, and PS3 - quality for a video - game, not sure it'd be easy to perhaps make something optimized for a few different platforms . . .

anyway, it's because specifically make retro - content, think it might take a few hours, also perhaps to lower resolution of the textures, so it looks bit more retro, and then also release a retro - quality version, anyway going to get the stuff as it is, however not sure it could be done . . .

no matter what, going to get this content, if nothing else to just make a few levels with it, not sure there's some modifiers in Blender, and one could for instance make the textures from 2048 x 2048 to 512 x 512, to quickly make a retro - style package, that also might get customers, that's technically what need for my titles atm, because can't make more than PS2 - PS3 quality 3D models for characters, or buildings, etc etc . . . .

9. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

amazing work, and no matter what going to get this, say it's flawless stuff // thank you, for taking the time to make this, and yea, it's stunning work . . .

10. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm assuming that what you mean is making the textures look more pixelated or stylized which I think I'm not going in that direction with my art but you can surely do it, a quick way would be to go into Unity and just set the texture size to under 512 or lower and turn off the filter mode of the texture to "point no filter" if you want a pixelated look. The whole point of making textures at max resolution is that people can downscale later. I used to make more stylized stuff and I'm moving away from that but I might make some more stylized packages later down the line.

11. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

ohhh, thank you, never thought could just make the texture smaller myself, for sure going to get a few forest - tree packages, it's almost easier to do that stuff oneself, and one can get the 100 % resolution, wow, think understand what it is could do, also #thx . . . .

12. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Photoshop preview of my grass material wip!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      5.2 MB
      Views:
  13. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Some grass renders in Unity.

screen_3840x1818_2023-03-14_19-53-11.jpg

Attached Files:

14. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Has been a while without any updates but I have been working like mad on this. For now, I can only show a quick idea of how the art style will be. Please excuse the unfinished trees!

screen_3840x1818_2023-04-27_23-12-22.jpg

screen_3840x1818_2023-04-27_23-09-27.jpg

Attached Files:

15. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

And here are some extras.

Sculpt_A_05.jpg

Attached Files:

16. creat327

creat327

when do you think it will be out?

17. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

To be honest I wanted to finish this in less than 4 months but now I'm not so sure anymore, trees and plants take the most time to make and I'm really slow at it. The good news is that I finished most of the exterior and interior.

◉ In general, as far as model assets are concerned I'd say it's more than 75 to 80% done.
    ◉ Regarding vegetation, I only need to make 2 more species of trees and a few bushes.
    ◉ I'm also reworking my vegetation shaders and making new ones for nature assets and I'm completely reinventing them and coming up with new concepts. I'm also collaborating with someone on developing new ways to shade PBR foliage for all Unity RPs so it's not just me on my own with this. I would like to remake my vertex wind on top of that. These shaders will be jam-packed with lots of features and you will have the option to turn them on and off in shader.
    ◉ With optimization I'm doing my best despite the high triangle counts of my assets, some trees are over 20 to 30k so they are mid-poly range but there are LODs under 15k and below. I'm also adding shadow proxies on vegetation to increase the performance further and apply other techniques.

I think this project has been a bit too ambitious but I would say it's more than 78% done!

Jesper-Nielsen likes this.
  18. creat327

creat327

i just loved the grass so i was wondering if there was a way to get that. I have another of your packages but that grass looks fantastic

19. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I just remade my foliage shader and fixed some glaring performance issues. At first, I thought it was just overdraw doing this but turns out the fake translucency was mostly to blame for the unexplained frame rate drop in certain angles. Now all foliage should work at 60fps perfectly with 4M triangles. I simplified everything and came up with a new technique to make translucency without light attenuation nodes in built-in deferred and have it occluded by shadows. I can't believe no one thought about this yet but it seems to work, not perfectly, this is still in alpha. I won't give away the secret just yet but it has something to do with Ao. Before, my shader used to glow in shadows. There are no coding or special nodes, just a funny workaround in Amplify shader.

tRANSLUCENCY.jpg
    screen_3840x1818_2023-05-19_14-57-38.jpg

Attached Files:

20. creat327

creat327

looks good, i wonder how that works on mobile version (the grass)

21. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

After I finish my shader I'll make some performance tests! I'm working on the wind, the last stage of the shader.

22. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Remaking the wind shader from scratch so I started by breaking the wind into components. First, it's wind rotation, have to admit I'm proud, almost looks like actual physics. (Shading not included yet) Ignore the shading and the trees, that's being worked on in a separate file. Can't wait to show you guys what I'm cooking!
    ---------

The second motion phase added to the rotation of the wind as well as wind direction based on the pivot. Still a work in progress!

creat327 likes this.
  23. ronjoly

ronjoly

Hello Sir
    Can you answer why the Catacomb floors and walls use the Player Layer. This is bad for the Player controller "Invector" which is expecting the Default layer and is causing weird floating behaviour. Also I mentioned to you once before that your Volumes are still using Colliders in HDRP. I think you should be using Box Volume but I am not sure.

Your Assets are Fantastic and I think I own all that is available on the Asset store. I will be testing your other updates soon.

24. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Noted, I wasn't aware that they do, I just left everything as it is by default with the layers, I think you could change that right?

Thanks for the compliments again! As for the post-processing Volumes in HDRP, I'm guilty of not looking much into it. So far that seemed the only way it worked at the time but I'll look at how volumes work more in-depth next time, not sure either, this issue has been bugging me too. At the moment I had to make some quick updates for new version compatibility. :)

25. ronjoly

ronjoly

They were easy to fix but a new Unity user would be stumped.
    -Environment_Interior changed Layer to Default instead of Player and applied it to all it's children.
    -deleted your Volumes, created Box Volume A and B, added the Volume profiles A and B to the Box Volume, Set the previous Volumes transform and scale to the new Box Volumes.
    "Box Volume does not use colliders".

Perhaps a quick note in the Asset Store about the fix, after you verified the problem and solution would help
    others? I doubt a full release to make a 1 minute fix is warranted.

You are really good at your craft and look forward to buying more of your stuff.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  26. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks for the compliments and noted. I'll add a note in the description when I have some time since right now I don't have the time to make another update. I'll have to look at the volume thing as well.

Funny fact, I was thinking about that since last time and tried to look it up to change it on my recent update but couldn't find anything so I gave up and left it. Wish your helpful comment came a bit earlier!
    ---

Added a foot note in the description! :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    ronjoly likes this.
  27. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Hi guys, long time no hear. I have an important announcement to make!

I'm almost finished with my latest foliage system and I think it will blow your minds. On the other hand, the development of the graveyard pack is taking too long so I have decided to release the foliage and tree assets with the new shader as a separate pack first. There's no point in making people wait any longer. :) I'm still not finished yet but I'm getting close as I'm almost done with the tree version of the shader now, then I just have to make the scripts. This has been a very difficult task but at the end of the day, I hope it delivers.

Some more details about the new Foliage system. Originally a part of Rocky Hills, It will be rebranded as "The Toby Foliage Engine". This shader will be a fast solution for anyone that wants a good plant shader at a more affordable price. The shader is almost as complex as "The Vegetation Engine" but with fewer features. It will be simple to use and work internally without the need for extra coding or third-party tools. The shader will be available to discover and edit for anyone that owns "Amplify Shader Editor".

Shader features:

1. Shading

• Pbr shading with backface and front-face lighting fix. (new)
    • Ability to warp Vertex normals and specular. (new)
    • Correct backface normal maps and specular.
    • Self Shaded and occluded translucency (a brand-new feature that works in all pipelines).
    • World space color variation for leaves.
    • Season change control system like quixel trees.

2. Wind

• 2 Phases; gentil and strong directional wind.
    • Realistic leaf movement.
    • Center of mass option to prevent plants from stretching and reduces movement from the center. (more realistic wind)
    • Gizmo rotation control and other options.
    • Branch bending.
    I'll try to make this as performant as possible, so far the performance is good. And now for some pix!

Shading and season change using vertex position up mask.

ATTACH=full]1277138[/ATTACH]
    TTFS_CV_02.jpg
    TTFS_CV_03.jpg
    TTFS_CV_04.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
  28. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

First look at The Toby Foliage Engine. Work is still in progress, especially the tree wind but it's good enough to showcase. I wanted to do a quick comparison with the Vegetation Engine, both in wind and shading. (Note this is in Built-in deferred)

This shader is made to work by default with any model, vertex painting might not be needed but is optional. The wind even works with the model setup for the Vegetation engine despite intending a different setup so the shader does everything automatically. Still, if the wind looks a bit wonky and branches in the video seem to disconnect that's why. There is no vertex green in those models which I actually needed for my shader to work properly but I'm thinking of doing that automatically in the shader as well.

Performance stats will come later.

29. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Just realized the "gentil" typo in my vid, curse my Latin habits! Anyway here are some HQ screenshots of the nice gradient shading.

Shading_01.jpg

Shading_02b.jpg

Shading_03.jpg

And I suppose people are waiting for a performance comparisson. Here is a quick snapshot, comparing with TVE deferred shader, it's mostly the same however, this is not a fair comparison as I have everything set to ON and this is not a good scene for performance tests. With only one wind phase on, the performance is much greater at least 5 to 20 fps more and I have yet to optimize anything or tap into the full potential of the shader yet. I believe I can save up to 30fps more by making some changes.

Performance_01.jpg

I will come back with proper performance tests after I finished the shaders.

30. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Here are more amazing screenshots of the beautiful TTFE shading.

Unity_TTFE_01.jpg Unity_TTFE_02.jpg Unity_TTFE_03.jpg
    Unity_TTFE_04.jpg Unity_TTFE_05.jpg

31. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm spamming my own threads with my recent work and postponing my previous one, not a good way to go. That's because as you know from before, I stated plans changed, I'll finish The Toby Foliage Engine first then get back to this project (The Graveyard Catacombs). In order to not create more confusion, I'll start making a new thread for (TTFE).

Last pic of (TTFE) on this thread.
    screen_7680x3636_2023-08-13_18-15-2001.jpg

32. adifrank

adifrank

Whats the stage of TTFE ?

33. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Currently, I'm working on adding a bit more plants and trees for the demo scene since this is also a model pack. I think I'll add some more bushes and shrubs, some more trees, and a few aspens, not a lot, just a bit more to add some variety.

ShrubBranchRender.jpg
    screen_7680x3636_2023-08-13_18-15-2004.jpg

Here's a (TTFE) roadmap!
    • Main shaders (grass and tree): 92% (overall already functional)
    • Main Wind gizmo and global controllers: 0%
    • Models: 80%
    • Scenes: 86%
    • Optimization: NA
    To do:
    • Main Wind gizmo and global controllers (Have to code this)
    • Shrubs and bushes + Trees
    • Aspen trees (2)
    • Extra example scenes (small ones)
    • Optimization and testing
    • Make a build
    • Advertisement
    • Publish

34. adifrank

adifrank

The screen shots looks great.
    Looks like a long list. Are you looking for dec release?

35. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Yes, I'm trying to publish soon, this winter if possible.

It's not that long as most of it is almost done, it will probably take more time to code, test, optimize, and make the needed changes. I won't insist on the modeling part too much as I have enough content already but I can already tell I need to make more changes for the shader.

adifrank likes this.
  36. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Working on the wind global controllers, 90% done!

Screenshot_1.jpg

37. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Given the situation with Unity right now I want to announce that after careful consideration I'll finish this asset and continue making assets for Unity while also working with the Unreal engine moving forward!

See you in the next update!

38. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

39. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Behold, The Toby Foliage Engine! Quick Renders in Unity.

TTFE_WIPx2_01.jpg TTFE_WIPx2_02.jpg
    TTFE_WIPx2_03.jpg
    TTFE_WIPx2_04.jpg TTFE_WIPx2_05.jpg

JamesArndt likes this.
  40. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Behold, The Toby Foliage Engine! Quick Renders in Unity 2.

TTFE_WIPx2_06.jpg TTFE_WIPx2_07.jpg TTFE_WIPx2_08.jpg TTFE_WIPx2_09.jpg
    TTFE_WIPx2_10.jpg

41. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Improved the shading a tiny bit, now the mobile grass has specular.

screen_3840x2160_2023-09-29_03.jpg screen_3840x2160_2023-09-29_02.jpg

And tested with GI probes.

screen_3840x2160_2023-09-29_01 - Copy 2.jpg

42. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Second look at The Toby Foliage Engine. Work is still in progress (Note this is in Built-in deferred). A quick look at shading, seasons, and wind.

43. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Unity can't look good? I made some more screenshots and some are from the video.

screen_3840x2160_2023-10-07_23-04-17.jpg screen_3840x2160_2023-10-07_23-09-25.jpg screen_3840x2160_2023-10-07_14-41-01.jpg

Attached Files:

44. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

45. adifrank

adifrank

Looks great.Looking forward to it.

46. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks!

4 more trees out of 5 to go to finish the art assets. I'm making them using Blender and then placing most leaves by hand after generating particles, it's a real chore.

All trees.png

And here are some more screenshots of the shader working in different light conditions.

screen_3840x2160_2023-10-08_15-39-28.jpg

Attached Files:

47. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

screen_3840x2160_2023-10-08_16-07-13.jpg
    screen_3840x2160_2023-10-08_16-06-29.jpg

Attached Files:

48. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Just finished all the trees, it was a real pain because I made them by hand hence I took so long.

Shurb Trees.jpg

49. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Letting you all know I am working on the map and it is going well.

screen_3840x2160_2023-11-03_18-46-05.jpg

Attached Files:

50. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

screen_3840x2160_2023-11-03_19-56-24.jpg

Attached Files: