Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Modular Dungeon Catacombs

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by florianalexandru05, Nov 12, 2021.

1. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

CATAM_WIP_07.jpg

Welcome to the new thread for the Modular Dungeon Catacombs project!

PBR with amplify shaders
    The old thread had a permanent bug so this resulted in the creation of this new thread.

Exterior WIP: (The trees have branch bending, leaf wind, and color variation)

screen_7680x3636_2021-11-12_17-30-32.jpg

Attached Files:

James_Arndt, StevenPicard and mgear like this.
  2. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

This level is getting closer to being finished.

Attached Files:

3. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

More wips

screen_3840x1818_2021-11-28_17-25-50.jpg

Attached Files:

4. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

New weed plants and some lighting test.

screen_3840x1818_2021-12-05_19-43-25.jpg

Attached Files:

seok-in-yoon likes this.
  5. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm finished making my own vegetation shaders. It's fairly basic but it works on the terrain. Doesn't work with wind yet but the trees have basic trunk and branch bending, custom normals, coloring variation including billboards and vertex ao at least. Cheap and fast, defered shading with fake translucency.

(Terrain grass example underneath)

6. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Posting a few more images.

screen_3840x1818_2021-12-13_20-11-43.jpg

Attached Files:

7. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Wips 2

Attached Files:

8. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm going to be releasing this asset this month!

9. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Jesper-Nielsen likes this.
  10. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

I'm very excited about this - will definitely check it out when URP is supported.
    Since it's PBR I wonder if I should just go for the mobile version even though my game is for PC, since I'm making an "isometric" game.

11. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm working on the conversion these days, pretty soon it's going to be online. You can use it for PC of course, I only branded it with "mobile" because it's low poly and well optimized but it supports all platforms. I also think it should work fine for isometric games.

Jesper-Nielsen likes this.
  12. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

In other news, I finished getting ready the URP version and HDRP is on the way. I'll just need a day or two of testing after I finish then I can update the pack.

13. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

HDRP conversion has been giving me a few curve balls so it's taking longer than usual but I'm getting there.

14. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Finally finished HDRP and URP conversion. The next step is to make a few tests in a couple of different versions of Unity for a day or two, then I'll be uploading the update.

15. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Just submitted an update, now this pack supports URP and HDRP. Supported versions: 2020.1.3f1 up and 2021.2.3f1 up. It should be online in a few minutes to hours.

16. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Just made a new video of my finished pack. All done in real-time with no baking in HDRP. Also used the simple SSGI in the post-processing, it's amazing!

Swyfft likes this.
  17. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

18. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I just realized that uploading with a Unity long-time support version is ideal and does not break in the new version. Upload with 2020.3 (LTS) coming soon!

19. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Just updated with the LTS version, should be on the store soon!

20. Jesper-Nielsen

Jesper-Nielsen

PS - 2021 LTS is out now too, it never ends :)
    For my current project I think this is the last Unity version I will upgrade to - URP shaders from different sources always break whenever I do. Hopefully URP is in a more stable state now.
    I noticed some vegetation seems similar to Rocky Hills - is there some overlap there?

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  21. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Yeah, hard to keep up tbh, I decided to only use 2020.3(LTS) and check how the newest versions hold up. from the tests I made, the shaders worked in all versions of Unity except for the Unity 2022.2 alpha, where one of the shaders broke. Not sure if it was a placebo or something else but that's how it worked on my pc. 2021 LTS sounds like a good engine choice, have you tested it in this version? URP seems stable nothing broke, only HDRP in the alpha version.

Regarding the vegetation, yes you are not wrong, initially, this pack was for the interior only but I decided to add a lil bit of exterior scene flare to it so I just recycle some assets from Rocky hills. By that time I was also updating Rocky Hills and I liked the way they turned out so I added them to it. :) I might end up recycling some assets to get my packs out faster sometimes also they are meant to all fit with each other in style, no overlaps though.

22. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Starting from here, this thread covers the "Graveyard Catacombs" asset pack!

Made a new substance material.

Stone Cliff_01.jpg Stone Cliff_02.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  23. Alaapb1

Alaapb1

Hi iam interested of (Modular Dungeon Catacombs - Mobile) but i have one question is that for mobile is that support and working on mobile perfectly?

24. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Can you be a bit more specific? Are you using Built-in RP or URP?

Can't say it will be perfect but it is light weight enough for mobile use, especially the interior part. The vegetation shaders are also very optimized and lightweight and can be optimized further by removing features you don't need yourself. It's pretty low poly and I have heard from people using it on mobile that the performance is overall good. I heard from one person that the foliage shader didn't compile on build but I wasn't able to replicate the bug, I'm sure there are some limitations with URP perhaps, I haven't fully tested it myself.

Hopefully you don't find the semi realistic texture deceiving, It seem more detailed than it is. I have been very abusive with putting point lights in the interior part which is why I recommend you bake the lighting or find some sort of workaround, Unity point lights are expensive.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  25. CiscoA

CiscoA

Hello, How are you? I am having an error with the harp version. "Shader error in 'Tobyfredson/Torch Flame (HDRP)': undeclared identifier '_BlendMode' at ..."
    It only happens when making a build. Thanks!

26. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Hello, I'm doing fine, thanks for asking, I was healing from a building disk again.

Does the error prevent you from making the build? I'm not aware of it but it looks like it's related to the blend mode. Post your error on this thread, the creator of Amplify Shader Editor might know what the cause of it is: https://forum.unity.com/threads/bes...er-creation-tool.430959/page-147#post-8198502

27. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm also back at work on the new assets. I'm making a new detail shader for the stone assets.

s2.jpg

Attached Files:

• s3.jpg
      s3.jpg
      File size:
      641.6 KB
      Views:
    • s4.jpg
      s4.jpg
      File size:
      454.4 KB
      Views:
    • s1.jpg
      s1.jpg
      File size:
      502.5 KB
      Views:
  28. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Made a test video too!

Zimnel and KeithBrown like this.
  29. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Recently I bought a photo camera and I made my first real high-quality scan.

Zimnel and Hikiko66 like this.
  30. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Still working on this...

Caverns_Catacobs_A.jpg

Zimnel likes this.
  31. TiggyFairy

TiggyFairy

Hi, so I'm liking this asset but I'm having issues making it go totally dark so I can apply all of my own light. I've set Environment lighting to a black colour, but it's still got some light. It needs to be a lot darker. Any ideas what I can do? I don't see any emissive materials. I would quite like any solution to be applicable to both indoors and out, if possible. Thank you.

upload_2022-9-20_22-17-30.png

upload_2022-9-20_22-17-51.png

32. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Hi there, first can you tell me what pipeline you are using? Judging from your screenshot I'm assuming you're using Build-in RP? Unfortunately, there are only a few options available for you in Unity Build-in (BI). You can't have real time sunlight and a pitch black zone at once in BI. Here are some tips:

1. Have one or the other and make your interior and exterior in to separate scenes.
    2. Have real time lights on the outside but set your interior to static and bake the lighting (mostly unfeasible).
    3. Use a third party real time GI solution.
    • Unity HDRP pipeline uses post processing volumes. You can use those volumes to have light or dark where you want in your scene as they offer more control (if you use HDRP, that is already setup so you don't have to do anything). I don't know if this is possible with URP yet but if it is and you're using it, that's great! You could also try to look on the "Unity Asset Store" for a volume like solution like in HDRP for BI.

33. TiggyFairy

TiggyFairy

Hi, it's URP unfortunately. I may have to swap over to HDRP, but I really don't want to as my lighting asset is URP

34. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I understand your frustration but I was also looking for a way to do exactly what you were looking for in Built-in and URP and was left disappointed, however, you will have to live with the limitations of the URP pipeline as HDRP is the more graphically capable one. I haven't used URP much but I think It has post-processing volumes as well, but I don't think there is a way to manipulate lighting in zones like HDRP, I remember looking it up but found nothing, hence the "text tip/suggestion" I put in the URP scene on baking lightmaps.

Your other option would be Screen Space GI with a reflection probe as a fallback, kind of like how the HDRP SSGI works, they will make ocluded areas dark regardless of your sunlight in the scene but I don't know if such a thing exists in URP. I don't recommend HDRP if you care more about performance.

35. TiggyFairy

TiggyFairy

Thanks. I think you've left me with some bigger questions. I'll have to go ask around.

36. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Try asking, I would like to know if there's any way to do this, to be honest!

Here is something I could find for URP by searching on the asset store quickly: https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...gi-real-time-voxel-global-illumination-226660
    Voxel GI is a solution that will occlude interiors but voxels are very expensive. This asset is pricey, maybe if you wait for a sale or ask for a free ticket from the creator? I'm sure he is a nice guy and might let you test it out. I tried SEGI in the past (an older voxel-based lighting solution) but it's only for Build-in: https://github.com/sonicether/SEGI, and it's very pc expensive and inadequate, not feasible for big outdoor environments.

The subject of lighting has always interested me and I found Unity to be lacking in this department, which is why I was looking at third-party solutions like SEGI before, until HDRP (SSGI) that is.

37. TiggyFairy

TiggyFairy

Ah, that seems very useful and they say it's not intensive. But I'll have to ask. Thank you for your advice!

38. MightyAnubis

MightyAnubis

Just a Question:

Totally dark in Built In ?
    is not a Problem ??
    Also to use "Sun" or "use inside" light, do not need baket Light (you can do, baket is not bad or that, but ...)

Just:
    deaktiviate the LIghts you not want in explicit Solutions.
    Or use a Sky system with a Indoor Support.

There much solutions for, so in Build in you can have 100% Darkness if you like.
    HDRP or URP i dont know, never used. I do not want to "learn" for an effekt of: nothing.Even because i do never use graphs ( Schader Graphs for example ) i dont understand this complicatet Graph things, i use Schader Code, it s easy and to understand.
    So i stay absolutly away from "HDRP" or "URP". If you watch the Opera Video on Youtube, you see clear: there is nearly no difference in the Result. It s just senceless to learn all from Scratch again for nothing.

but okay, everyone how he likes.

but: build in can be 100% Dark.

39. TiggyFairy

TiggyFairy

I'm sorry I don't really understand. The image above is with every light I could find removed. It does look like there's a directional one, but I don't know where that would be if it exists.

Also.... I'm not sure I can read most of that. Sorry.

40. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Started creating the exterior assets!

Screenshot_16.jpg

Screenshot_18.jpg

Attached Files:

41. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I took my camera and started taking pictures and making the leaves for the Juniper trees. I developed a quick way to make images into 3d without photogrammetry, this method is pretty good for most plants, I say the extracted Ao helps sell the 3d effect. Too bad these leaves will be so tinny you won't be seeing this much detail either way.

Juniper Leaf.jpg

42. TiggyFairy

TiggyFairy

43. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I did not like the last post so I made new screenshots of my new branch atlas. I think I might add some blueberries and a few more details. The real challenge will be making the trees.

Attached Files:

44. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I know it has been a long time without any updates but I have been working hard on vegetation and going through another learning curve in tree creation, I'm developing new methods that I will document and perhaps turn into tutorials, which might be helpful. Meanwhile, I'm remaking the "Rocky Hills Shader" which is my universal foliage shader. I will change everything because simply, I want to do better. I really want to get to have something close to Vegetation Engine. I'm currently developing the shader as I'm working on this project at the same time. Here's a quick test of some new shading methods I'm trying, nothing new to see here except a WIP of the new tree I was working on.

What's new here:
    • A new method of removing backface shading for grass
    • New specular backface occlusion option (specular no longer shines on backfaces)
    • New self-translucency method
    • Fixe tangent normals option for models with custom normals (attempts to fix wrong normals facing opposite of the light, still WIP)
    • New branch bending methods

The new assets will be on another level! I will come back with some showcases after I finish my tree set.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Zimnel and PutridEx like this.
  45. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

So, I'm making more realistic foliage, this time I used photos I took from around my place and created my foliage and tree leaves. This is what you should be expecting from now on. I'm also working on renewing the shader, the grass will no longer be using custom normals but a secret method to light backfaces while keeping the specular correct to the mesh tangent.

Grass_GCATA_01.jpg
    Grass_GCATA_04.jpg

Attached Files:

Zimnel likes this.
  46. TiggyFairy

TiggyFairy

Looks really nice

47. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks, done with the grass, now I'm adding random plants.

screen_3840x1818_2023-01-08_18-04-03.jpg

screen_3840x1818_2023-01-08_18-05-24.jpg

Attached Files:

Zimnel likes this.
  48. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

It's been a while since the last update but I'm still making progress. Update on plants:

GrassShot_01.jpg

I think they are a bit too realistic but I'll see how they fit into the project.

Here are some new trees including a new way of making leaves dry in the shader. Here are some tests, I got inspired by Quixel trees.

JuniperTreesShoot_01.jpg

Attached Files:

Zimnel and TiggyFairy like this.
  49. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

50. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Improving the cliff coverage shader by adding 3 layers with tri-planar projected rock, including cavity and AO dirt with grass on top.

CliffShot_01.jpg
    CliffShot_04.jpg

Attached Files:

Zimnel likes this.